Author Topic: Seedling Mango tree thread  (Read 27571 times)

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Seedling Mango tree thread
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2021, 11:15:24 AM »
Picked one of my tree ripened Paheri seedling mangos this week.  This was the first year of production from a 5 year old seedling located in inland SD county (Escondido).  The growth from this tree is extremely vigorous, nearly 9 feet tall, with long thin leaves similar to the growth and leaf patterns described online from Paheri mango tree variety.  The fruit grew in one large cluster (see pict) with a bright red blush on the sun exposed side.  The taste of the fruit was amazingly sweet with an intense pine resin flavor near the skin and stem.  True to its parent, the mango is completely fiberless with smooth flesh.  Seeds from the fruit are monoembryonic.  This tree will be a very nice complement to the grafted Zill varieties on my property.  Although this is just one example, it should help dispel the myth that seedlings from Mono seed fruit always result reduced quality from the parent tree.  Plant those seeds!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2021, 12:21:16 PM »
Thanks for the post SHV, yes, definitely plant those seeds! You may get lucky with a great new selection as you did.

I would love to have these new seedling selections entered into our mango tastings in the future.

Simon

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2021, 02:56:57 PM »
Wow! That looks marvelous!

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2021, 06:03:00 PM »
Yet another multi-trunked seedling. I've had three Pickering seedlings hatch with multiple trucks, and now this Neelam. The leaves are much thinner than the parent tree, but they smell like Neelam fruit. I did not remove the husk off this seed, nor the multi-trunked Pickering from this year, so I was wondering if that caused this. But my two other multi-trunked Pickerings came from de-husked seeds.

I know it's been advised to trim off the side trunks, but I let them be--having visions of a mango bush . . .

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2021, 11:11:04 AM »
Picked one of my tree ripened Paheri seedling mangos this week.  This was the first year of production from a 5 year old seedling located in inland SD county (Escondido).  The growth from this tree is extremely vigorous, nearly 9 feet tall, with long thin leaves similar to the growth and leaf patterns described online from Paheri mango tree variety.  The fruit grew in one large cluster (see pict) with a bright red blush on the sun exposed side.  The taste of the fruit was amazingly sweet with an intense pine resin flavor near the skin and stem.  True to its parent, the mango is completely fiberless with smooth flesh.  Seeds from the fruit are monoembryonic.  This tree will be a very nice complement to the grafted Zill varieties on my property.  Although this is just one example, it should help dispel the myth that seedlings from Mono seed fruit always result reduced quality from the parent tree.  Plant those seeds!

Well done. Name it.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2021, 08:45:14 AM »
Last mangos hanging on my trees are the seedling Sensation mangos. This the tree’s first year producing even though it’s my oldest seedling of 7+ years. Sun exposed skin turns a dark purple then changes to a bright red upon ripening. Fruit has dense flesh and very ordinary, classic mango flavor, most would call boring. Low fiber similar to a Mexican Kent but not on the same level of complexity. Decent late season mango when all others have been picked in my location is the best I can say about it. Wikipedia description of Sensation mango is pretty spot on with this seedling tree, however, mine has always been sickly and grows as dwarf size. Monoembryonic seed.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2021, 05:48:17 PM »
for experiments, I have the following seelings growing well:
1. E4 - 3-yr old
2. Pina Colada - 3-yr old
3. LZ - 8-yr old, fruited on graft, mother tree still virgin, fruit got stolen from Frank's yard. it was an off type and had no resemblance to LZ. cant wait for next year.
4. Peach Cobbler - 2-yrs old
5. OS - 3-yr old
6. ST - 4 yrs old.

so next few years there will be 6 new varieties to sample.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2021, 04:55:58 AM »
It appears my 2018 Coconut Cream seedling is pushing mixed blooms? Fruit was first Coconut Cream I ever tried, which I got from Alex (Tropical Acres Farm). Very excited!

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2021, 07:29:48 PM »
Nice plants everyone, this is my greenhouse mango seedling. Its one summer old and is holding fine trought winter for now. Lowest temp ever was 4C, but since ive started lighting the wood stove inside, the lowest temps stay above 10C , around 12 C at most times. Soil temp is around 12C also...if i could trust my termomether but i think its quite accurate...
Not talking bout varieties the seed came from, this is unknown to me but here its a question of survival for such plants anyway....

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2021, 01:24:27 PM »
Great updates everyone!

Behl, I’m very eager to see how all your seedlings do. I’m especially interested in off types from your Polyembryonic seedlings. I have several E4 seedlings that will hopefully produce in 2-3 years.

Fliptop, let us know how the CC seedling tastes if it holds any fruit.

Plantinyum, good luck with your seedling, please keep us updated!

Simon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2021, 02:10:23 PM »
Great news everyone! Especially happy to hear of Fliptop getting flowers on CC seedling within 3 years. Contradicts what I was initially told about seedling mango trees and time to flowering/fruiting.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2021, 02:35:49 PM »
It appears my 2018 Coconut Cream seedling is pushing mixed blooms? Fruit was first Coconut Cream I ever tried, which I got from Alex (Tropical Acres Farm). Very excited!

Hey Fliptop,

Very exciting, can you please post a pic of the tree as a whole? Curious how large it is, also do you do any special pruning or care/fertilizing?

Thanks,
Joe

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2021, 07:40:46 PM »
Hi, Joe, early on in this thread I posted a pic of it when it was 5' tall. This and a 2017 Pim Seng Mun seedling are my most vigorous seedlings.

The tree is now around 8' tall. Here's what it looks like today:

Here's another angle:

And one more, which includes a PPK seedling in the distance--the PPK also came from Alex in the same 2018 shipment as the Coconut Cream.

As far as pruning, I pruned it once in 2020. It was growing straight up pretty fast and I cut it at about 3' about a 1/4" above a node. I got I think 6 new shoots and kept 3.

As far as fertilizing, I did nothing for the first two years, but twice this past year I gave it a couple handfuls of that Sunniland Citrus, Avocado, and Mango fertilizer--less than the recommended dose. Not sure that has anything to do with the flowering, as I gave all the three-year-and-older trees a little taste of the fertilizer.

I honestly expected one of my Pickering or Pim Seng Mun seedlings to flower first. I thought this one was only interested in growing.

Hopefully it gets and holds fruit that are awesome.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 12:21:35 AM by fliptop »

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2021, 08:17:27 PM »
Interesting thanks for the response, it seems the leaves are thinner than the OG coco cream, and it’s more upright than spindly in growth habit , pretty cool. I think I recall from one of Gary Zill’s interviews on YouTube that he never got either PSM or Okrung seedlings to fruit… if someone can verify that, but just random note, but you may beat him to it.

-Joe

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2021, 09:12:49 PM »
Yes, the leaves are thinner than grafted Coconut Cream trees I've seen. Last year I had asked Alex which trees are nearby his Coconut Cream tree/s, in the offhand chance I could figure out a possible pollinating parent, and I can't remember what he said, ha!

Yikes, that's worrisome about not getting a seedling PSM to fruit . . .

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2021, 04:00:45 PM »
I saw the YouTube video in question (Truly Tropical's "Gary Zill's Mango Variety Development Project"). Very insightful video for seed growers. He said there were certain varieties of seedling trees he never got to fruit, and specifically mentioned Okrung. Hopefully PSM wasn't one of the others, and there's still hope for my two seedling trees.

Here's an updated pic of one of the Coconut Cream seedling's flower panicles. We've been having a lot of fog and morning dew, which I'm hoping doesn't negatively affect the flowers and anticipated fruit.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2021, 10:24:47 PM »
Ahh yes that was okrung he mentioned thanks for tracking that down and clarifying 👍

-Joe

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2022, 03:59:43 PM »
Curious to know if anyone’s seen new flowering on a seedling.

I found flowers today on Dr. Campbell’s boys’ monoembryonic “Martian Pride”. Planted circa 2010.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2022, 04:57:45 PM »
I have several seedlings with first time flowers this year. My Dasheri (6 year old) has enough panicles that it should produce something this year.  Okrung (6yrs) has a ton of flowers.  Small fruit last year did not develop. 3yr old ST Maui has one set of flowers. Cambodiana (6yrs) has flowers, I might let fruit hold this year after plucking the fruit last year to focus on growth. Most anticipated is a 6 yr, vigorous Carrie seedling tree that is pushing a ton of flowers after losing its first flower set last year to a late season cold front.  I have some Zill variety seedlings but they are still too young at only a couple years.  Sugarloaf is growing real fast though and wouldn’t surprise me if some of its new growth has mixed bloom front the recent cold snap we experienced here.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2022, 05:09:28 PM »
Two of my E4 seedlings, an Orange Sherbet seedling and a Pina Colada seedling are blooming for the first time. I’ll update if any of them hold fruit.

Simon

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2022, 05:39:00 PM »
As noted above, I *had* flowers (and subsequently even some fruit set) on my 2018 Coconut Cream seedling. Then the two nights below freezing took care of that. Very not happy.

Here's to hoping the tree flowers again next year and has a chance to fruit.

Here's the tree today, pushing new growth and wearing Kaolin Clay:

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2022, 11:08:32 PM »
Fliptop, at least it’s still alive. If you have a mature tree, maybe you can top work it with your CC seedling just to have it on multiple trees.

I stopped by Brads place today and he has quite a few seedlings in bloom.

I didn’t check the tags to see what’s what but there could be some good seedling selections in the near future.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2022, 11:15:06 PM »
And here’s a lanky Orange Sherbet seedling in my backyard with partial blooms

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2022, 02:48:32 PM »
E4 seedling #1 blooms

E4 seedling #2 partial blooms

Pina Colada seedling partial blooms

Simon

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2022, 04:06:11 PM »
M4 seedling - planted seeds 11/2017, just recently planted on ground after close to 5 yrs being potbound on a 15 gallon. Now ots flowrring. Survived my harsh temps 26f (being the lowest) since it grew, 120f temps & unprotected.

I hope to an improved fruit. Yes m4 seedling is lanky just like the momma tree.