Author Topic: Costco Dekopon Sumo Citrus Marketing Fail  (Read 6886 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Costco Dekopon Sumo Citrus Marketing Fail
« on: April 02, 2021, 09:32:40 PM »
Stopped by my local costco and they had sumo citrus fruit on sale. No one was buying them and they were all shriveled up. Bought a few boxes cause they were on sale and suprisingly they were not bad. Too bad that the general public didn't really like the appeal of this fruit. Wonder why everyone sticks to those navels and tangerines from the store that are always dried out. ???

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Costco Dekopon Sumo Citrus Marketing Fail
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 09:38:36 PM »
Yeah they look pretty unattractive on the outside.  Pretty tasty though, but not worth the price to me.

Meanwhile, the minneola tangelos available in stores roght now are amazing, some of the best citrus I've ever had

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 11:15:20 PM »
I like Dekopons/Sumos. They are one of my favorite sweet citruses but are too expensive for eating everyday. Because of their size, they are about $3.00 per fruit at the only grocery store in my area which has them.

I have never tasted a good Minneola tangelo. Every single one I have ever bought has been a bland waste of money. Of course, because I plant just about all the citrus seeds I get, I have half a dozen small plants that could potentially produce bland fruit for me in a few years.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 10:04:47 AM »
I would say maybe 1 in 8-10 batches of minneolas I buy at the store are good, the rest are squishy.  Even the ones I am currently growing have been squishy, I am not sure why. 

But the good ones are incredible, and make it worth it for me to keep buying and growing hoping for a good batch. 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 02:47:26 PM »
Reading Brian's post from yesterday, I went to the supermarket this morning and purchases some tangelos. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 03:26:41 PM by Millet »

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 04:39:20 PM »
I hope they are good for you, it had been so long since I had good ones I forgot just how good they can be.  I was thinking of replacing my tangelo tree but now I am going to give it a few years and see if I can get a good crop

The sticker on the ones I got says Sun Pacific brand. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 04:40:56 PM by brian »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 05:55:34 PM »
I'll agree with the Minneola tangelos, I've had really good ones and ones that weren't so great. It probably has to do with freshness, perhaps a little bit to do with growing conditions and maturity of the tree.

sea4

• NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 06:54:42 PM »
I recall sumos being somewhat more expensive Than other citrus, at grocery store, but was shocked to see them at $3 per fruit this year. I have yet to try one. I’ll just stick with my ridiculously expensive kumquats.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 07:32:52 PM »
I recall sumos being somewhat more expensive Than other citrus, at grocery store, but was shocked to see them at $3 per fruit this year. I have yet to try one. I’ll just stick with my ridiculously expensive kumquats.
I have seen them going for a pretty high price ($12 per box). I got mine for under $4 a box containing 7 each.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 07:45:41 PM »
I see them at the grocery store for $3 each, or in boxes for a better price I assume but didn't check how much.  They are pretty good but I think a lot of the ones at stores are overripe, even for this type which seems to intentionally sit for some time.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 03:20:15 PM »
I've bought sumo from the store a few times and they weren't good at all.  Also picked up Shasta gold a d a few other citrus.  None of them were good, all went in the compost bucket.  I assume its just because we are used to home grown. 
Brad Spaugh

Ckitto

• USA, CA, Hacienda Heights
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2021, 11:51:23 PM »
I have a 20' tall tangelo tree. They are only good if I feed the tree well. Ever since I started using urea, the fruit quality improved. The tree is somewhat alternate bearing. This year is the off year and the fruits I got are exceptional. Many of them are close to a pound. I guess lower quantity boosted the quality. I also grafted Dekopon onto my tangelo tree and it grows well. First fruit this season is about 1.26 lbs. I am thankful to have both growing in the yard :)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 11:53:25 PM by Ckitto »

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 08:13:50 AM »
wow, that's a big tangelo.  How do they taste?  My experience with citrus has been that unusually large fruit don't taste as good

orangedays

• East Coast, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 09:27:50 AM »
At the Charleston SC Citrus Expo, Citrus Joe, and I seen the lady who owns the land where the original Tangelo tree was found.

Millet,
Can you give the back story on the 'original' tangelo?  I would love to hear the origination story!

Ckitto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 10:51:21 AM »
Brian, very juicy with perfect balance of sweet and tangy. I gotta wait till they fully ripe (usually after mid March with very dark orange color skin) so that they have more sweetness. They hang on the tree well.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 11:19:45 AM »
Very nice.  I am debating replacing my in-ground "light green/dark green variegated" minneola with a non-variegated one that I already have... but I think I will just leave it be

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 01:29:07 PM »
Every mineola tangelo I have ever tried from the store has been delicious.  I am surprised to hear the quality varies so much. I was thinking on planting one since I enjoy them so much  Only dekopon was better, i feel.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Ckitto

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2021, 02:33:15 AM »
I always feel hesitant to buy Tangelos from grocery store as the fruits are so much smaller than those from my tree. See pictures.

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2021, 09:25:42 AM »
I've bought sumo from the store a few times and they weren't good at all.  Also picked up Shasta gold a d a few other citrus.  None of them were good, all went in the compost bucket.  I assume its just because we are used to home grown.
It must be as my Sumo and Shasta produced fruit for the first time this year and they were outstanding. I can't wait until the trees mature several years and the flavor gets better.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2021, 02:06:27 PM »
I always feel hesitant to buy Tangelos from grocery store as the fruits are so much smaller than those from my tree. See pictures.

They always seem to put smaller fruits in those bags. 
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2021, 07:49:35 PM »
I’m sure I could research and figure it out on my own, but I will ask y’all instead: what is a sumo tree? I’ve seen posts referencing sumo/ shiranui and sumo/ dekopon. My father says he loves the sumos from store, but if I want to get a sumo tree, what variety is it?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2021, 08:21:48 PM »
Its a Shiranui mandarin tree.

https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/CRC4249.html

Here's fruits on my tree earlier this year. Ripens about end of Feb here.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 08:27:36 PM by sc4001992 »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2021, 12:26:09 PM »
End of February. So that’s overwintering in a greenhouse for the east coast north of central FL. Thanks!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2021, 12:32:55 PM »
I did start having ripe fruit (at least color fully orange) by December, but it tastes best in Feb here.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 12:50:14 AM by sc4001992 »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2021, 06:54:07 PM »
I must have missed the sumo sale on CCPP, logged in today and it says no scions available again until June.

Assuming I can get some pieces, which kind of tree is best to graft it onto.  I'm going to have to use some other grafted tree from the nursery to graft it to.  I'll go buy a tree to put it on.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 06:56:26 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh