Author Topic: Grafter's advice please  (Read 755 times)

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
Grafter's advice please
« on: April 27, 2021, 01:13:10 PM »
I don't have much experience grafting, nor have I had much luck doing it. I have some success in smaller mangos in containers, than in ground trees. But I have 3 small trees that were frozen down to the root stock 2 years ago that have come up nicely since this past winter was very mild, and I would like to graft these with desirable cultivar.

I just received 7 scions in the mail from a well known supplier in Florida. All 3 of one variety, ZINC, look really black. The other 4 are only black at the tips and look good. They all came wrapped in a moist paper towel and were not in parafilm or buddy tape. In your opinion are these worth making an attempt at grafting?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Grafter's advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 01:21:13 PM »
It looks like those have anthracnose. I wouldn't graft them personally.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 01:27:01 PM »
I have grafted worse and they still work, just make sure to clean instruments often and make quick clean cuts. You can also wipe the scions down with a fungal solution if you are really worried:
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 01:33:15 PM »
Those are fine.  Just treat with a fungicide.
- Rob

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 02:40:55 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I'll give em a go

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 02:48:10 PM »
Good luck!  What type of graft will you try?  And where on the tree are you trying (any pics)?  I ask because I'm new to grafting and hoping to graft one of my trees very soon.

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 05:07:01 PM »
Good luck!  What type of graft will you try?  And where on the tree are you trying (any pics)?  I ask because I'm new to grafting and hoping to graft one of my trees very soon.

Thanks. I did 3 veneer grafts and 4 cleft grafts. It's the first veneer grafts I have tried on Mangos. I tried a bunch of different grafts on guavas last spring and they all failed except for one veneer graft. That encouraged me try more of this technique. Unfortunately that tree was in the coldest part of the ranch and the grafted portion died when it got to around 30 degrees in January.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 09:28:31 PM »
Very cool!  From what I understand, mango grafts need 70 degree plus weather at night to make it.  Do keep us updated and take some pics if they work out!

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 10:15:35 PM »
Very cool!  From what I understand, mango grafts need 70 degree plus weather at night to make it.  Do keep us updated and take some pics if they work out!

Wow. I wasn't aware of that. Maybe that's why I haven't had a lot of success in the past. Today was overcast and with a high of 80 and a low of 59 but the next few days warm up. Wed 94/64, Thu 101/67, Fri 103/70

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk