Author Topic: Edward mango fruits burned easily in the 94F sun?  (Read 733 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Edward mango fruits burned easily in the 94F sun?
« on: June 16, 2021, 01:17:56 AM »
I have been in the heat spell last 3 days. I was a bit surprised that my Edward young fruits got burned and shrank in 94F and low humidity last Sunday. Maha, Peach cobbler, and other variety are ok. They are a little smaller than a chicken egg. Young Edward fruits are a little wrinkly or not smooth skin, and growing faster than other fruits.

I ended up taping a 3x4" paper to shade each fruit.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Edward mango fruits burned easily in the 94F sun?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 10:08:43 AM »
Was 102 and 1% humidity here yesterday.  My mangos still look ok.  Edward is fruiting.  But the tree is drooping.  Ill top work this tree at some point with something that grows better.  Not impressed with Edward's growth habit here.
Brad Spaugh

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 12:16:52 PM »
Brad, have you ever thought about running misters from your irrigation lines to your trees that require higher humidity?
Nate

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 06:36:58 PM »
Brad, have you ever thought about running misters from your irrigation lines to your trees that require higher humidity?
For how long -- all day for a big area? That will waste too much water even just misting

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 08:09:26 PM »
For how long -- all day for a big area? That will waste too much water even just misting

I have no idea, don’t even know if it’s possible,  it was just a thought. I don’t think you’d have to run them all day though, maybe run them in intervals throughout the day. I hope your Edwards pull through!
Nate

BobHawks

• Los Angeles ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 09:16:53 PM »
sapote
i'm in Hawthorne and have been dying to get hold of an Edwards.  can we work something out,  scion, fruit that grow from seed?
Thanks Bob

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 12:55:28 AM »
sapote
i'm in Hawthorne and have been dying to get hold of an Edwards.  can we work something out,  scion, fruit that grow from seed?
Thanks Bob

Hi Bob,

Sorry I didn't see your post until now. As about Edward, my 3 years old graft is still small but it holds 3 fruits this year for the first time. You could get  the scions from Alex of Tropical acres Farm.