Author Topic: Mango LZ seedless  (Read 462 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Mango LZ seedless
« on: June 22, 2021, 06:16:01 PM »
This year all of my LS  and many Okrung-Tong young fruits split due to no seed inside. I think this is due to the cold weather during flowering causing bad embryo. Who else is having  this problem?

Maybe next year I will strip off all flowers until mid March.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango LZ seedless
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 06:30:32 PM »
Pollination occurs best at a specific temperature and humidity. In California, our flowering starts early and lasts for a prolonged time period up to 6 months or more. This year, flowering started for me around November and I still have blooms on my E4 right now.

When the pollination occurs outside of the ideal range, it can cause the pollen to be sterile or cause incomplete pollination. I hypothesized that this is just one of the reasons I get so many nubbins Which incidentally have aborted or tiny seeds.

I don’t strip my early blooms because it may cause excess bloom cycles which may waste more of the trees energy. I sometimes strip the second to last predicted blooms. The blooms in the warmer weather have set the best fruit for me but I also have a lot of fungal issues.

Simon

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
Re: Mango LZ seedless
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 07:07:31 PM »
Funny I asked a friend to save a particular mango seed, when I picked it up today there was no embryo in it, just the casing. First time I've seen that. Fruit was great however by her account.
- Val

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk