Author Topic: Cloning Machines  (Read 1874 times)

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
Cloning Machines
« on: June 27, 2021, 03:02:15 PM »
Hi guys! Do any of you use Cloning Machines? Is this a functional device, or does it not deserve attention? Does someone have a diagram of how it is done inside or can provide photos of the mechanisms?
❀ Sergey ❀

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Re: Cloning Machines
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 03:48:11 PM »
Only thing I can tell you is that they don't work on avocados.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 03:52:54 PM »
I believe Adam at Flying Fox Fruits is a cloning machine!

Kevin

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 03:58:03 PM »
I believe Adam at Flying Fox Fruits is a cloning machine!

Kevin
It's a pity that he can't clone himself  ;D
❀ Sergey ❀

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 06:24:50 PM »
cloning techniques vary. For avocados you need to use a rootstock, graft on it and when it is about one feet you strangulate it in the grafted area and cover it with ground. It will take about 4 months and you will need a  constant temperature

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 07:47:36 PM »
Do you mean a bioreactor?

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 06:02:48 AM »
I have been getting Emails from
Mike McGroarty for like 15+ years

He takes a Aquarium puts it upside down  takes scotch tape (or painters tape) makes stripes
paints it white removes tape so half is white , half is clear .

Places damp (brick laying) sand inside a container
 and places cutting inside that with glass aquarium over it. (in another of his examples_)

I use a Cardboard lid , and place a garbage bag over to retain heat inside
 but if you use plain card board the humidity will evaporate you will not see condensation build up inside

for cutting you would not want this to warm though.

http://www.freeplants.com/homemade-plant-propagation.htm

Edit I saw earlier something more fun after your post ,
but why does it take 2 people to feed machine, and not a belt feeder haven't they figured it out.
(A Grafting Machine )
https://www.hortidaily.com/article/6038897/automated-grafting-no-longer-utopia/

« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 06:12:06 AM by Francis_Eric »

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 08:13:15 AM »
https://growershouse.com/cloning-machines?clickId=3613796186&utm_source=pepperjam&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=96525&utm_campaign=8-10218

That is just a small greenhouse.
I have been using something like that for years where I control the temp and humidity with a sensor and light it with led s. Success rate is very high with proper hormones.
Each plant has different needs though.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 01:55:02 PM »
I have used an ezclone machine for propagation.
Pretty great machine and worthwhile if you want to pump out alot of clones.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 04:47:34 PM »
cloning techniques vary. For avocados you need to use a rootstock, graft on it and when it is about one feet you strangulate it in the grafted area and cover it with ground. It will take about 4 months and you will need a  constant temperature

Canito can you be more precise. What does the strangulation consist of?  Is this process bellow the graft or above the graft?  Very interested in the process. Thanks
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

johnnym33315

• US, Florida, Ocala, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 08:56:10 PM »

I just got a TurboKlone, what have you had success "cloning"? I would guess anything that roots easily...

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2021, 10:10:19 PM »
Yeah all sorts of things over the years that benefits from the diluted cloning solution and dipping the cutting in rooting hormone.
Very easy cuttings I just stick in soil.
M

I just got a TurboKlone, what have you had success "cloning"? I would guess anything that roots easily...

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 10:23:50 PM »
https://growershouse.com/cloning-machines?clickId=3613796186&utm_source=pepperjam&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=96525&utm_campaign=8-10218

That is just a small greenhouse.
I have been using something like that for years where I control the temp and humidity with a sensor and light it with led s. Success rate is very high with proper hormones.
Each plant has different needs though.

Is a 5k spectrum with LEDs sufficient enough to root or do cuttings really need a full spectrum? Also what about wattage/lumens?

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2021, 07:49:04 AM »

HAven't kept up with researching this stuff
 because if I am not going to use it ,
 not going to read up on it any more,
I have a Recipe for tissue culture stuff
 (it is very complicated  looking putting all those chemicals  together)

Saw this on a Bioreactor (not a fan of the BIO Tech stuff though)

Shows the gas exchange , and all that stuff

http://www.curtislab.org/research-projects/PlantBiotech

Tissue Culture (had a another  link PDF It appears that No longer works)
https://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/JARS/v39n3/v39n3-paden.htm

(I think it might be good to start a new topic eventually on tissue Culture.)

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2021, 12:21:20 PM »

The technique is simply. You have to strangulate under the graft. You can search the Riverside University page.
Many examples in youtube. The difficult part is to keep temp and humidity. Easy in my case. In the pic I discovered that I forgot to remove the tape and the trunk was covered with weeds. So accidentally I make the process. That's the way we discover new techniques in horticulture

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 04:28:13 PM »

So you’re saying you graft a rootstock, then marcott the rootstock once the graft has healed and sever it, and then re-use the same rootstock once it has pushed new growth to graft and marcott again?

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 04:56:06 PM »
I just purchased a TurboKlone 24 a few months ago. So far I have been able to propagate a few various things such as calamondin oranges, various lemons, figs, and mulberries.. not as much success as id like but it works well. oh and some flying dragon cuttings worked too which I was very surprised as those are a little difficult at times. Finger limes do not want to work though! This is using rootriot gel

The biggest reason it doesn't work usually has to do with water pH and temperature. My light warms up the tub pretty quick and anything over 75F can create some bad growth that ends up killing the scions.

I've seen these things do cherry cuttings before as well, so its all ab out the environment. I'm going to try to add some root riot cloning liquid to it and see if that helps me get a little more success. I was told that you could put some peroxide in the solution as well to ward off pathogens but I haven't tried that yet.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 05:00:50 PM by franklazar26 »

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2021, 09:41:27 PM »

Every time you will need a new rootstock

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2021, 10:57:16 PM »

Every time you will need a new rootstock

Interesting! I suppose you could keep using the nurse seedlings though (why throw them out?)

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2021, 07:13:59 AM »
What do these machines look like inside? What are the mechanisms there? Is it possible to do this yourself?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 10:06:56 AM by Forester »
❀ Sergey ❀

johnnym33315

• US, Florida, Ocala, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2021, 09:59:30 AM »
I just purchased a TurboKlone 24 a few months ago. So far I have been able to propagate a few various things such as calamondin oranges, various lemons, figs, and mulberries.. not as much success as id like but it works well. oh and some flying dragon cuttings worked too which I was very surprised as those are a little difficult at times. Finger limes do not want to work though! This is using rootriot gel

The biggest reason it doesn't work usually has to do with water pH and temperature. My light warms up the tub pretty quick and anything over 75F can create some bad growth that ends up killing the scions.

I've seen these things do cherry cuttings before as well, so its all ab out the environment. I'm going to try to add some root riot cloning liquid to it and see if that helps me get a little more success. I was told that you could put some peroxide in the solution as well to ward off pathogens but I haven't tried that yet.

Great insight!

What on/off time schedule have you found to be successful?

So far for me, I started with mulberries, Thai dwarf & dwarf everbearing were successful(both very easy to root), black Pakistani & red Himalayan not so much(both difficult or impossible to root).

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2021, 01:34:40 PM »

Figs lemons mulberries usually quite easy to root (exceptions). These root up very easily outside for me where there is little environment control (in perlite).

Calamondin flyingdragon and finger limes will not root up for me, I will have to apply concepts from this turboclone and see how it works..

Peroxide will kill most of the good and bad microorganisms so you need to keep on using it. Also supplies more oxygen to roots, as well as an aerator in water. Also keep lower temps but not too cool (higher temps= less oxygen and more algae growth etc). I have rooted some things quickly in peroxide-laced water but others not so much (similar results with sprouting seeds in peroxide).

I have also rooted figs and some other things very fast in aerated water with mid-strength, ph balanced(KEY-check ph and adjust regularly) nutrients. I thought high N urea/ammonia would not be conducive to rooting in water but found out otherwise at least for some things. I have a strong inkling that the presence of copper and sulfur among maybe some other nutrients in the fertilizer inhibits fungus/some bacteria in this aerobic environment setup. Also you can use black material to block out algae growth. Algae can smother small roots and use up nutrients throwing off pH as well. Their respiration may also affect gases in the water and during certain light/dark periods..