Author Topic: White Flesh Green Sapote (Pouteria Viridis) - Any Updates on Seedling Plants ?  (Read 1128 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Did anyone who has grown the "White Flesh Green Sapote (Pouteria Viridis) seeds" from Raul have luck getting them to grow yet?

I got 2 out of 8 seeds to grow now, just barely starting to show small stem coming up. My other seeds may not have made it, 2 may have not been good, 2 rotted, and 2 still closed shell and did not open.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
Hi Kaz, nice job on germinating those! No signs of life from any of mine yet. Most of my seeds split in half upon planting them, I think because I took the shell off. Were any of yours split in half that germinated? Do you know if they can still germinate if only half the shell is planted? I ask because when I looked at them last week, half the seed was rotten and the other half looked perfectly healthy, so I ditched the rotten half and re-planted the healthy half. 
Nate

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Nate, I'm no expert on these seeds, I also had one where the shell was open but the inside did not look that good. I peeled the shell and put it back in the pot, that seed just rotted and didn't make it. I don't think any seeds that are split in half and separated will grow. The only 2 that are doing well show in my photos were the ones where the shell cracked open on its own and then it started to grow one root. The top end of the seedling will  open up with 3 big fat flesh like an avocado seed (which has 2 halves) that gradually open up and the shoot emerges from the center. I did notice when I checked these seeds in May, the "float in water method" seemed to indicate the bad one. Good seeds should sink to bottom. Will see how the last 2 seeds do since the shell has not cracked open yet. Best case I will have 4 out of 8, if the last 2 crack open and grow roots.

Here's a few photos of the two good seeds I took in May.

Cerakat

• Guam
    • View Profile
Hi, I was lucky enough to get 5 of Raul's green sapote with white flesh & 5 green sapote regular on the early part of April.  Most of the seeds came healthy even though it was a long ship time.  They were well packed and had no mold on them.  One of the white fleshed seeds was soft and the other was semi soft, they both didn't make it but the other 3 germinated pretty fast for me and are doing really well. 

A few days after I got them

Pics of the green sapotes with white flesh today:

One of the regular green sapote seed was soft and the other 4 germinated good too.  One of the green sapote sprouts got squished by my cats so I have 3 doing well and I'm hoping that 4th one pops back up.

I'm sure those that germinated for you will be ok!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Cerakat, that is very impressive, you seedlings are so large, congrats !!!

Your seedlings look like they are 6-8 months old. My seedlings are 2 month old now.

Cerakat

• Guam
    • View Profile
Thanks I hope they continue to grow well and fruit fast! ;D ;D ;D ;

Other sapote varieties that I got seem to like the weather here.  I have these in full morning sun and dappled afternoon sun, they seem to like the heat so I put the regular green sapote community pot in full sun this week to see if they will be ok with it and they seem to be doing fine.  The white fleshed ones were in a community pot too but I up potted them this week and they don't look like they went through any shock from getting separated.

I'm new to fruit plant growing (my 1st year) and this forum is a great wealth of information!  A lot of members here have been very helpful and patient with all my questions.  They are also very generous in spreading these plants around.  I haven't tasted or seen most of the stuff I get from here but I'm super excited that I am able to get the opportunity to grow some of them!!!  It's just killer that I have to wait so long to try them!!!

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
0 for 3 :'(

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
I didn't remove the seedcoats. Most are cracking on their own, but only one has come up so far. I take the cracking as a good sign. The one that came up split in half on its own first. I planted them half exposed, and have been trying not to overwater them. Full shade with maybe an hour of direct sunlight in the mornings. Just moved this one to give it a few hours of morning sun.

16 days ago:

13 days ago:

« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 12:38:07 PM by NateTheGreat »

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
I bought 5 seeds. Two are already over 9" long with multiple levels and leaves (so much for slow growing). The others.....crickets- but I'm not complaining :D .
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

mcoambassador

• Growing fun fruit in my backyard garden.
    • USA, Florida, Oviedo, 10a
    • View Profile
@Cerakat @nateTheGreat Could we get updates on these white flesh green sapote seedlings?

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
@Cerakat @nateTheGreat Could we get updates on these white flesh green sapote seedlings?
I think I got 3 that survived the first winter. One died after transplanting, and I have one left, in the tall pot amid normal green sapotes. It actually takes the cold a bit better.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Mine is about 4 ft high but I'm a bit warm for them.