Author Topic: Mango India: Jumbo Kesar, Alphonso, Iman Pasand all smell the same?  (Read 981 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
I had eaten a few SoCal grown Iman Pasand from my tree, and it has the strong unique Indian aroma when cut open and in the mouth. This year I will surely -- unless God is going to knock them off  before ripen --  have some JK and Alphonso to eat and compare with Iman Pasand. I had cut open the 3 varieties dropped green fruits, and they all smelled similar with that unique Indian aroma.  Are they all having similar aroma when ripen, and do all Indian mangoes have this unique smell?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 12:28:55 AM by sapote »

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango India: Jumbo Kesar, Alphonso, Iman Pasand all smell the same?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 02:27:18 PM »
I had eaten a few SoCal grown Iman Pasand from my tree, and it has the strong unique Indian aroma when cut open and in the mouth. This year I will surely -- unless God is going to knock them off  before ripen --  have some JK and Alphonso to eat and compare with Iman Pasand. I had cut open the 3 varieties dropped green fruits, and they all smelled similar with that unique Indian aroma.  Are they all having similar aroma when ripen, and do all Indian mangoes have this unique smell?

Where did you get your Jumbo kesar?
I have a regular Kesar. It is good to very good when grown in Florida condition compared to its native environment where it is a supreme cultivar close to Alphonso. No pest issues so far. Enjoyed at least 50 fruits out of one grafted limb. Aroma of which is very little resinous floral kind, very sweet,melting flesh and very clean fruit.

I enjoyed Alphonso with a different premonition. Indeed, the fear I had and the arbitration I made with it failed and depicted the same poor result in every flavor metrics as compared to the Alphonso I taste tested in different parts of Maharastra, India.

Imam pasand is one my Indian Favorites in South Florida when the conditions are right, like less rain, no nitrogen, more potassium, boron, zinc. Calcium also needed depending on the soil condition and to prevent jelly seed. It turns very light yellow color near the stem end when ripe. It is best tasted when it matures on the tree. Didn't have any major pest issues. The flavor is complex, unique, very sweet and close to Ice cream mango. Flesh color is light yellow for both  but different consistency. it is firm for IP but melting in IC.  The cons are dull greenish skin, fruit splitting when it rains heavy and if anybody uses the the conventional N-P-K, like 8-3-9 for young trees.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 02:30:48 PM by MANGOSCOPE »

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 04:07:23 PM »

I got the scions from Alex in FL (he has a farm with many mango trees) a few years ago. This is the 2nd year the graft had flowers and first time holding 4 fruits.

In SoCal we have no rain and so I really hope all my Indian mangoes will taste near as good as growth in India. My Ima Pasand had zero splitted fruits and the taste is excellent every year.

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 04:58:53 PM »

I got the scions from Alex in FL (he has a farm with many mango trees) a few years ago. This is the 2nd year the graft had flowers and first time holding 4 fruits.

In SoCal we have no rain and so I really hope all my Indian mangoes will taste near as good as growth in India. My Ima Pasand had zero splitted fruits and the taste is excellent every year.

Okay, I know him very well. I also got scions from him for some Zill varieties. I asked him the same question I asked you! He always told me that his kesar was never a Jumbo. His kesars turned out to be the regular ones which he bought as Jumbo. I told him about the grove owner in Dominican Republic who is growing Jumbo Kesar in his 900 acres. I saw the video and the size of his Jumbo Kesars.  My kesars are more than half a pound on an average but ones I saw in that video were over a pound.
I also, told Alex about the Himsagar he has which is not the true Himsagar the ones found in West Bengal,India and Bangladesh. Gary(ZHPP) was surprised when I told him that Himsagar he propagated is not the true cultivar he collected from USDA. But his version of Himsagar is a very good quality fruit.
I don't know if Alex agrees or not there is no true grafted Alampur tree in US. Alampur Baneshan fruit turns yellow outside when ripe and the flesh turns yellow to orange inside. The ones called Alampur in nursery trades in Florida are actually Imam Pasand.

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 05:10:09 PM »
I'm so happy for you that Imam Pasand tastes excellent. Besides, those 3 Indian cultivars you may have other Indian varieties. I think you like those complex spicy mangos. Good luck.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 02:57:04 AM »
The varieties I've tried so far are Kesar, Alphonse, and Banganpalli. They all tasted different.
My preference is in the order listed, but there is a big gap between the last two.

I find that people who like the pine resiny flavor of the double IPAs that Stone puts out really like the Banganpalli. I find that the more fruity/less overpowering IPAs that Alpine puts out are usually more popular however, and those who like the other two usually drink those beers. Those who don't like IPAs don't usually go for the Indian mangoes, they may prefer the Manila-types.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 07:18:47 AM »
The varieties I've tried so far are Kesar, Alphonse, and Banganpalli. They all tasted different.
My preference is in the order listed, but there is a big gap between the last two.

I find that people who like the pine resiny flavor of the double IPAs that Stone puts out really like the Banganpalli. I find that the more fruity/less overpowering IPAs that Alpine puts out are usually more popular however, and those who like the other two usually drink those beers. Those who don't like IPAs don't usually go for the Indian mangoes, they may prefer the Manila-types.

You should also add the Indian category that is resin free which is headlined by Mallika.

I prefer Son Pari to the three you mention above.  I also like Jehangir (which shares similarities to IP) which seems to produce a better quality fruit in California than Florida.
- Rob

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 12:06:22 PM »

You should also add the Indian category that is resin free which is headlined by Mallika.

I prefer Son Pari to the three you mention above.  I also like Jehangir (which shares similarities to IP) which seems to produce a better quality fruit in California than Florida.

I couldn't agree more.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 01:38:16 AM »
So again this year I still have zero Alphonso to eat (haven't eaten one yet). But I ate 2 Kesar few days ago. Good flavor and texture, but a little less on sweet side I would say. I don't know this is true for all Kesar trees. My tree is on the Western wall of the house and so it has plenty of sun light and got drip irrigation 3 times a week in the hot months. Maybe it will sweeter with less watering (but the Peach cobbler has no jelly seed and very sweet so it's not too much watering I think).  It is a 3-year-old graft so the fruits might not be true to its fame yet. It held 4 fruits for the first time.