Author Topic: Wildlands Farm and Nursery Stock Updates: Eugenia zuccarinii, Syzygium spp.  (Read 3841 times)

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
Howdy everyone!
Welcome to my nursery thread where I post updates about new stock in store! Plants can be purchased from the website, I am open to trades as well for uncommon seeds/trees.  If you are interested in selling seeds please get in touch! Get a free sticker with each purchase and check out the rad Botanical Art shirts & stickers!

Get 5% off with code TFFISTHEBEST at checkout.

Eugenia zuccarinii
https://www.wildlandsplants.com/shop/p/eugenia-zuccarinii

Wooly Leaf Sapote, Casimiroa tetrameria
https://www.wildlandsplants.com/shop/p/casimiroa-tetrameria

Babaco Papaya, Vasconcellea x heilbornii
https://www.wildlandsplants.com/shop/p/babaco-papaya

Ziricote, Cordia dodecandra
https://www.wildlandsplants.com/shop/p/cordia-dodecandra

Christmas Berry, Eugenia pseudopsidium
https://www.wildlandsplants.com/shop/p/eugenia-pseudopsidium

Psidium striatulum
https://www.wildlandsplants.com/shop/p/psidium-striatulum-narrow-leaf-guava

Psidium friedrichsthalianum
https://www.wildlandsplants.com/shop/p/psidium-friedrichsthalianum

Psidium sp. 'Green Cerrado'
https://www.wildlandsplants.com/shop/p/psidium-sp-green-cerrado

Myrica citrifolia
https://www.wildlandsplants.com/shop/p/myrcia-citrifolia

Long Sleeve and short sleeve shirts!
https://www.wildlandsplants.com/shop/p/rollinia-deliciosa-shirt

« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 08:08:45 PM by nattyfroootz »
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Great plants, wish I had the room for some of them! Especially the green sapote. Alas, I don’t have the room right now.

Just one thing, the Theobroma Grandiflorum does not produce a white chocolate. Yes, the seeds are white, like with some cacao varieties, but the process to make chocolate (namely, roasting and fermenting) turns the seeds brown. The chocolate from Grandiflorum is more like a smooth milk chocolate, getting a milky flavor rather than a white color from the white beans.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
Great plants, wish I had the room for some of them! Especially the green sapote. Alas, I don’t have the room right now.

Just one thing, the Theobroma Grandiflorum does not produce a white chocolate. Yes, the seeds are white, like with some cacao varieties, but the process to make chocolate (namely, roasting and fermenting) turns the seeds brown. The chocolate from Grandiflorum is more like a smooth milk chocolate, getting a milky flavor rather than a white color from the white beans.

Thank you for the heads up on that!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

RGVgardener

• Harlingen zone 9b
    • View Profile
I bought a green sapote from you after looking for one for 2 years, hope that it arrives safe and sound.

Any chance you are going to start selling seeds as well?

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
Do you sell grafted plants?

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
I have been sticking to a promise this summer not to buy any more plants, because I have far too many. You are making it really hard to keep to that pledge. A couple of those Psidiums would look really good in my collection. I am just not sure I have anything in my collection rare enough to trade for them though.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
I bought a green sapote from you after looking for one for 2 years, hope that it arrives safe and sound.

Any chance you are going to start selling seeds as well?

Glad to hear, they are such awesome fruits! Let me know how it is looking on arrival! Unfortunately I won't be selling seeds, as I can't guarantee a viable seed, but I can guarantee the arrival of a live plant, haha.

Do you sell grafted plants?

I will be selling some grafted plants in the future, but for right now don't have the stock to do so.

I have been sticking to a promise this summer not to buy any more plants, because I have far too many. You are making it really hard to keep to that pledge. A couple of those Psidiums would look really good in my collection. I am just not sure I have anything in my collection rare enough to trade for them though.

Haha, yeah it is almost a little tricky because I have over 200+ species of fruiting plants... haha
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

SilverSapote

• United States, Central Texas, 8b
    • View Profile
My green sapote arrived today without a scratch. Like RGVgardener, I've been waiting two years to acquire a seedling. Thank you.

RGVgardener

• Harlingen zone 9b
    • View Profile
My green sapote arrived today without a scratch. Like RGVgardener, I've been waiting two years to acquire a seedling. Thank you.

Ditto. Mine looked perfect today also.

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
I have purchased 2 plants this summer in the desert heat.  Both arrived perfect and I have been very pleased with the purchases.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
Yee haw! Glad to hear everyone! Thank you so much for your support!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

W.

• View Profile

Haha, yeah it is almost a little tricky because I have over 200+ species of fruiting plants... haha

Over 200 species, that is a very impressive collection. I imagine the only species I have that you might not have is Nauclea xanthoxylon, common name of Ndea. It has been available from Trade Winds in the past but is also somewhat difficult to germinate, so I am not sure how many people have it in their collections. Everything else I have extra seedlings of would be considered relatively common among rare fruit growers.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
I have germinated some Nauclea xanthoxlyon and Nauclea latifolia, although I had trouble getting them through seedling stage.  Seems like they wanted more nutrition then I was giving them at the time. Definitely wanna try again!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

W.

• View Profile
I have germinated some Nauclea xanthoxlyon and Nauclea latifolia, although I had trouble getting them through seedling stage.  Seems like they wanted more nutrition then I was giving them at the time. Definitely wanna try again!

When the seedlings have just germinated, they are very fragile and easy to kill. It took me a couple of tries to get them through that period; I killed all my germinated seedlings the first time I tried to grow any Naucleas. I have found that keeping the humidity relatively high is the key to getting them past their fragile, early period. Mine are about 6" tall now. I am not sure whether I have fertilized them yet, but I do not think so. They seem quite happy right now, though. Now that I have a few seedlings, I am not going though the effort of germinating any more Nauclea xanthoxylons. I might try getting some N. latifolia seeds at some point in the future.

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
Re: Wildlands Farm and Nursery Stock Updates: Pouterias, Psidiums and more!
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2021, 12:05:28 AM »
I just took delivery of my P. Viridis too - and I wanted to take a minute thank Nate for the beautifully grown, carefully packaged plant - you're batting 1000 with me.

I'll be back for more.

Cheers,
Chris

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2021, 12:25:43 AM »

When the seedlings have just germinated, they are very fragile and easy to kill. It took me a couple of tries to get them through that period; I killed all my germinated seedlings the first time I tried to grow any Naucleas. I have found that keeping the humidity relatively high is the key to getting them past their fragile, early period. Mine are about 6" tall now. I am not sure whether I have fertilized them yet, but I do not think so. They seem quite happy right now, though. Now that I have a few seedlings, I am not going though the effort of germinating any more Nauclea xanthoxylons. I might try getting some N. latifolia seeds at some point in the future.

I have both N. latifolia and N. xanthoxylons both become pretty tough seedlings after a year. N. latifolia produced fruit for first time this year, fruit should be ripening in a month or so. I like the N. xanthoxylons leaves it is very ornamental.

I believe I may have rooted cuttings from the fruiting  N. latifolia, I am giving it a few more weeks before I try to tug on the stem.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2021, 10:46:00 AM »
I Ordered 4 Yangmei seedlings from Nate and they came in perfect condition. One of the best packaging jobs I’ve seen. I will definitely buy from him again.

Simon

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2021, 12:24:14 PM »
I ordered 3 yangmei and they are very healthy and doing fine, thanks.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2021, 09:04:36 PM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone! Just updated the website with lots of new cool stuff; Yangmei, Babaco Papaya, Wooly Leaf Sapote, Ziricote, Eugenia pseudopsidium, Myrtillocactus geometrizans and I think that was it! haha
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Has anybody eaten these yangmei fruit?  I had never heard of them until that big china-import thread of named varieties.  Are the seedling types worth growing vs grafted?  Really 3yrs to fruit (assuming male+female)

I'm kinda hoping the guys who successfully grew them will start selling budwood or grafted trees next year.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
I've eaten them and they are pretty delicious!  I think these are seeds from China? I'm not entirely sure.  I have seeds of named varieties that I'll be germinating this winter.  I also have male and female plants I'll hopefully be selling grafted plants of by mid 2022.  I also have one surviving Biqi from the order, so hopefully will be able to make that available soon enough.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
I'll be first in line to get one of your grafted ones :)

I am already out of space in my greenhouse, I can always fit "one more tree" but I don't think I can fit the five or so I'd need to be confident of getting a male & female from seed.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
Howdy everyone!

Big ol sale going on so that I can fund some irrigation development at my property and expand my plantings!
All orders over 200$ qualify for a free Rollinia shirt, Long sleeve or short sleeve!

Thank you!

Newly completed Lucuma/Pitangatuba/Ice Cream Bean/ Campomanesia block

« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 01:00:53 PM by nattyfroootz »
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
How's it everybody?

Just posted up some awesome new things on the website and should have a couple more getting thrown on by Saturday!  Keep your eyes posted.

New Stock : Eugenia zuccarinii, Syzygium smithii, Syzygium leuhmannii, Eugenia leitonii and maybe some others, we'll see!

Thanks for your support.

Nate
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
The stock update has finally come!

Eugenia leitonii, Eugenia zuccarinii, Eugenia pseudopsidium

Syzygium smithii, Syzygium leuhmanii

Vasconcellea x (palandensis x pubescens)

& one or two Myrciaria guaquiea
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com