Author Topic: Mango id please: ST Maui or alphonso?  (Read 1397 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Mango id please: ST Maui or alphonso?
« on: August 22, 2021, 04:53:50 PM »
I grafted a few scions bought from Alex of Tropicalfarm 3 years ago and now those grafts holding fruits. I believe these fruits are either ST Maui (Alex's Scion) or Alphonso, but I'm not sure which one. When some of the small fruits dropped I crushed and smelled them -- the smell was a very strong Indian type, like Himam Pasand and so I think they are Alphonso. But does ST Maui also smell Indian mango -- my guess is not?
Thanks.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango id please: ST Maui or alphonso?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 10:29:55 AM »
When I grafted those scions, I only grafted half of them at my place and the other half at my sister tree, where I might have grafted all of the the ST Maui scions. At the same time I also grafted some Alphonso that I saved from an Alphono graft tree from FL that had died.

The large fruit is about the normal store bought Kent, quite big, and I'm a bit surprised at the size for the first batch of fruits with the graft a little less than 1" trunk.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 10:32:45 AM »
The fruit in the photo is ST Maui

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 11:46:04 PM »
The fruit in the photo is ST Maui

Thank you, Alex.
Then I believe ST Maui young fruit has the Indian variety smell (Himam Pasand), unless there is an Alphonso graft that had some fruits that fell off and no mature fruit remain. I will look careful to see if there is a grafted branch (alphonso) that holds no fruit.

The tree is a cocktail top-worked from the original FL grafted Glenn, with Okrung Tong, Maha, Edward, Alphonso (to be verified),
ST Maui, Himam Pasand (but the graft is the weakest and only about 5" tall, while other grafts already hold fruits), and Cac Hoa Loc which has not send out any shoots yet after more than 2 years (but the scion, veneer grafted,  now grows with the rootstock brand and so now it became flat instead of round, and I don't think it will ever send out any shoots unless I cut off every above it).

Well, this means I won't have any Alphonso fruits to eat this year yet. But I will find out which young fruits fell off that smelled so strong of Indian variety.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 11:50:06 PM by sapote »

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 02:50:59 PM »
So I carefully checked all the grafts on this cocktail tree: no Alphonso graft on it. So either Sweet Tart or ST Maui has the Indian spicy smell (as Himam Pasand and Alphonso) when crushing the small young fruits.

Oh well, so no Alphonso to eat this year again. I grafted one on the Kent seedling rootstock 3 years ago. The branch is about 1.5" diameter, had a lot of flowers but zero fruits. This happened the last 2 years and so I have to think about what to do differently to have a few fruits next year.

Anyone in SoCal have Alphonso trees holding fruits, and when was the flowering time that led to the mature fruits? My fruits got to about 1" dia then fell off.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 02:59:32 PM by sapote »

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 12:24:43 PM »
So I carefully checked all the grafts on this cocktail tree: no Alphonso graft on it. So either Sweet Tart or ST Maui has the Indian spicy smell (as Himam Pasand and Alphonso) when crushing the small young fruits.

Oh well, so no Alphonso to eat this year again. I grafted one on the Kent seedling rootstock 3 years ago. The branch is about 1.5" diameter, had a lot of flowers but zero fruits. This happened the last 2 years and so I have to think about what to do differently to have a few fruits next year.

Anyone in SoCal have Alphonso trees holding fruits, and when was the flowering time that led to the mature fruits? My fruits got to about 1" dia then fell off.

Sapote, my friend lives in La Cresenta and he has an Alphonso in ground that gives 8-12 fruits every year. The tree is only about 4-5 ft tall.
I am in Sun Valley, and I grafted his Alphonso unto my manila, the scion is a strong grower.
If you are interested to meet him, he has a coctail mango tree with about 40-ish varieties grafted on it.
He actually tried your coffin- grave graft method, but failed. So he would like to see how you do it if you don't mind.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 01:36:55 AM »
"So he would like to see how you do it if you don't mind."

La Crescentia is not far, and I maybe able to help this weekend. I will PM you for the contact.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 01:23:58 AM »
My very big ST Maui is still hanging on the tree with deeper red and the dimple at the stem got deeper like on an apple. It oozed out some small clear drops on the skin, and the drop tasted with strong Indian variety. This is very promising as I like the strong Indian flavor. Will add an update pic tomorrow.

Updated:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 09:27:11 PM by sapote »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 05:56:03 PM »
Hey sapote.
Sorry I didn't mention something sooner didn't realize there was another question in there.
St Maui indeed has a Indian smell. Like the Bombay mango.
I think Alex has it under the "indian/west Indian" category.

The ones I've had have been very resinous like ice cream mango.
To me it has the Guava, Neelam smell and less of the Carrie resin to it.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 03:41:04 PM »
Hi Khan,

I'm so glad that you confirmed it had the Indian resinous smell. This explains why the young green fruits dropped off had the strong smell similar to Alphonso.

I picked that big ST this morning before it may drop on the hard paver. The beak was a little soft when squeezed. Can't wait to taste it in the next 2 or 3 days.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 05:55:12 PM »
We ate a ST Maui yesterday: strong resinous Indian flavor, more than Kesar, and very intense sweet and sour taste. Seed is small relative to fruit size. It has no similar taste to any mangoes I have eaten.
The fruit is beautiful like a giant Fuji apple.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk