Author Topic: Feijoa seedlings are blooming  (Read 1394 times)

armstrongben82

• USA, Brooklyn, WI 5a
    • View Profile
Feijoa seedlings are blooming
« on: August 27, 2021, 10:41:25 PM »
So I planted some seeds from a few feijoas I got at the grocery store. I planted them in a community pot about 8 weeks ago or so. I went to water them this evening and look at the photos!!! I thought these took 3 years or more to flower?! And it's not just one, several have buds on them. Is this normal???

« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 07:40:47 AM by armstrongben82 »

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT IS GOING ON????
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 11:13:58 PM »
Awesome!

Definitely make sure to keep an eye on that one!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 11:23:55 PM »
Wow :o Not sure how long these take to flower from seed, but 8 weeks seems fast for any perennial fruiting tree. I successfully grew a cutting from my Nazemetz Feijoa last spring. It's about 2 feet tall now and still hasn't flowered. Nice job! Get those things in individual pots!

armstrongben82

• USA, Brooklyn, WI 5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 11:33:10 PM »
It's definitely cool but really strange, and like I mentioned It's not just one seedling. It looks like 2 or 3 others are about to flower (they have buds). I will be getting them into their individual pots and we'll have to see what happens.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 01:18:39 AM »
there is such a thing as precocious feijoa but 8 weeks is crazy! haha

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 01:42:32 AM »
I'll admit this is highly unusual.

But the thread title should still not be ambiguous click-bait in all-caps.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

armstrongben82

• USA, Brooklyn, WI 5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 07:36:59 AM »
I'll admit this is highly unusual.

But the thread title should still not be ambiguous click-bait in all-caps.

I was not trying to create click bait. I will delete this.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 07:39:42 AM by armstrongben82 »

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
Re: Feijoa seedlings are blooming
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 10:26:40 AM »
I have planted enough feijoa seeds over the years to be able to recognize its juvenil folige, that with a bloom looks a mature cutting mixed in with some seedlings.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 09:35:10 AM by buddy roo »

armstrongben82

• USA, Brooklyn, WI 5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 11:35:26 AM »
I have planted enough feijoa seeds over the years to be able to recognize its juvenil folige, that with a bloom is a mature cutting mixed in with some seedlings. perhaps because of covid you are just lonely and need a little attention or maybe just a little hug
Why in the world are you being such a jerk???? These are seedlings I planted from some fruit I got at the grocery store. I don't have any mature plants to even get a cutting from. This is my first time growing these. I came on here asking if anyone had seen this before since my research said they take a few years to flower.  This is the trash response from you? When I separate them out of the community pot I will post more pics so you can see they're seedlings you absolute clown.

armstrongben82

• USA, Brooklyn, WI 5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 11:53:12 AM »
For those other than buddy roo, is it possible that the stress from being crammed into a community pot caused this? Also I haven't been watering them quite as often as I maybe should. The flower is about the size of a dime, and several other seedlings have buds growing from the tip. Unfortunately these are seeds from six fruits all mixed together so no way of knowing if the ones flowering/with buds are from the same fruit or what's going. I would definitely be interested in hearing from someone who might know why this is happening. I'll mark all the seedlings with flowers/buds and keep them separate to see if they flower next year or not.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 12:00:21 PM »
I've grown them in community pots before and haven't had that result.  I'd imagine it's some genetic thing.  Could be some new super precocious Feijoa variety, what are you gonna name em?! haha
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

armstrongben82

• USA, Brooklyn, WI 5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2021, 12:06:55 PM »
I've grown them in community pots before and haven't had that result.  I'd imagine it's some genetic thing.  Could be some new super precocious Feijoa variety, what are you gonna name em?! haha
Lol, we'll have to see! I've never grown feijoa before. I was thinking about buying a fruiting size one and trying to graft when these got bigger. It would be really cool if these were super precocious, but I'm guessing it's some other weird thing. Time will tell. The part that's really strange is that it's more than one. I can understand some weird genetic anomaly on one, but several?  Not sure what variety these came from, it just said on the little sticker product of New Zealand.

MisterPlantee

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2021, 01:25:04 PM »
I find it ironic that Buddy Roo craps on your post about having seedlings that flower earlier than normal but at the same time he creates a new post asking people about his Cedar Bay cherry that also is flowering earlier than normal  ::)

armstrongben82

• USA, Brooklyn, WI 5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2021, 02:41:10 PM »
I find it ironic that Buddy Roo craps on your post about having seedlings that flower earlier than normal but at the same time he creates a new post asking people about his Cedar Bay cherry that also is flowering earlier than normal  ::)
REALLY?????? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Thank you for that!

armstrongben82

• USA, Brooklyn, WI 5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2021, 09:29:55 PM »
Ok, just stopped by my house and we ran out to eat so I haven't separated them yet, but here's some more pics that hopefully show these are not cuttings as "someone" suggested. It looks like two others have buds forming. I tried so show as much detail as possible.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2021, 04:03:11 AM »
Ok, just stopped by my house and we ran out to eat so I haven't separated them yet, but here's some more pics that hopefully show these are not cuttings as "someone" suggested. It looks like two others have buds forming. I tried so show as much detail as possible.

armstrongben82 if it turns out that I owe you an  apology I give it freely but me looking at the photo the leaves of the one  in question look like mature leaves to me,  also it would not be the first time someone tried tricking us with a doctored photo or the last

armstrongben82

• USA, Brooklyn, WI 5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2021, 12:32:02 PM »
armstrongben82 if it turns out that I owe you an  apology I give it freely but me looking at the photo the leaves of the one  in question look like mature leaves to me,  also it would not be the first time someone tried tricking us with a doctored photo or the last
[/quote]

buddy roo thank you and apology accepted. I also apologize to you for being so harsh with my response, that wasn't necessary or right. No hard feelings on my end. May all our seeds always be precocious lol!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk