Author Topic: Grafted “Biqi” Yangmei on M. Californica rootstock for auction  (Read 1923 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Please see attached link if you would like to bid on my Yangmei fruit tree grafted onto California native rootstock (M. Californica).

http://ebay.us/ernSlf?cmpnId=5338273189

Here is some additional information

Up for auction is this “Biqi” variety of Yangmei grafted onto Morella Californica  rootstock.

Yangmei is a delicious and exciting new fruit crop in the US and trees are extremely rare. This is the first ever Yangmei grafted onto Morella Californica up for public auction in the US that I am aware of.

Yangmei is an evergreen tree with a densely rounded canopy that produces small fruit that varies in color from white, green, red, pink and black.

Fruit from the “Biqi” variety are dark in color, almost black. The fruit size is larger than a quarter but smaller than a half dollar and this variety is highly coveted for its sweet taste and smaller seeds. Biqi has a slightly sweet smell with a tinge of berry and a hint of Osmanthus.

The Biqi fruits I sampled had a Brix of about 13.4% and tasted sweet with a combination of flavors from Blackberries, Pakistani Mulberries, Strawberries and something very unique that was reminiscent of Sandalwood.

Many people have difficulty growing Yangmei on its own rootstock and the Californica rootstock may or may not grow better for them. 

This tree is grown outdoors in full sun but it gets placed under some shade on extremely hot days. This tree is in a #3 container and has two grafts that have pushed.  The larger branch is 6.5 inches long and has approximately 25 leaves.  The smaller branch is 2 inches long and has 12 smaller leaves. There is also one additional grafted bud that has healed over but it has not pushed yet so I’m selling this tree as a double graft.

I keep the pH of my soil around 6.3-6.7 and I only water my plants when the soil has dried out about 70% or more. For the best chance of success, this tree should be planted into the ground because the soil moisture will be easier to control.

In most cases, Yangmei will require both a male and female (Dioecious) tree to produce fruit. This tree is only grafted with female scions from the “Biqi” variety. 

For a male pollinator, you can plant seeds or purchase seedlings (if available) in the hopes of getting a male.  I plan on selling grafted male trees in 2022 but there are no guarantees.

This tree is for local pick up only in the San Diego, California area. If you need shipping, you will have to make your own arrangements to have someone pick up the tree and ship it to you.

Total tree height with pot is 28 inches. Plant alone is 21 inches.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Grafted “Biqi” Yangmei on M. Californica rootstock for auction
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 03:59:34 PM »
Simon,

Is this rootstock suitable for growing in container?

Please see attached link if you would like to bid on my Yangmei fruit tree grafted onto California native rootstock (M. Californica).

http://ebay.us/ernSlf?cmpnId=5338273189

Here is some additional information

Up for auction is this “Biqi” variety of Yangmei grafted onto Morella Californica  rootstock.

Yangmei is a delicious and exciting new fruit crop in the US and trees are extremely rare. This is the first ever Yangmei grafted onto Morella Californica up for public auction in the US that I am aware of.

Yangmei is an evergreen tree with a densely rounded canopy that produces small fruit that varies in color from white, green, red, pink and black.

Fruit from the “Biqi” variety are dark in color, almost black. The fruit size is larger than a quarter but smaller than a half dollar and this variety is highly coveted for its sweet taste and smaller seeds. Biqi has a slightly sweet smell with a tinge of berry and a hint of Osmanthus.

The Biqi fruits I sampled had a Brix of about 13.4% and tasted sweet with a combination of flavors from Blackberries, Pakistani Mulberries, Strawberries and something very unique that was reminiscent of Sandalwood.

Many people have difficulty growing Yangmei on its own rootstock and the Californica rootstock may or may not grow better for them. 

This tree is grown outdoors in full sun but it gets placed under some shade on extremely hot days. This tree is in a #3 container and has two grafts that have pushed.  The larger branch is 6.5 inches long and has approximately 25 leaves.  The smaller branch is 2 inches long and has 12 smaller leaves. There is also one additional grafted bud that has healed over but it has not pushed yet so I’m selling this tree as a double graft.

I keep the pH of my soil around 6.3-6.7 and I only water my plants when the soil has dried out about 70% or more. For the best chance of success, this tree should be planted into the ground because the soil moisture will be easier to control.

In most cases, Yangmei will require both a male and female (Dioecious) tree to produce fruit. This tree is only grafted with female scions from the “Biqi” variety. 

For a male pollinator, you can plant seeds or purchase seedlings (if available) in the hopes of getting a male.  I plan on selling grafted male trees in 2022 but there are no guarantees.

This tree is for local pick up only in the San Diego, California area. If you need shipping, you will have to make your own arrangements to have someone pick up the tree and ship it to you.

Total tree height with pot is 28 inches. Plant alone is 21 inches.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 06:21:26 PM »
Yes it can grow in containers. You can actually purchase large Morella Californica trees in those 3 or 4 foot boxes. I just don’t recommend growing them in containers unless you are good with moisture control. Many people over water there trees and that eventually leads to root rot or other issues.

If growing this tree in a container, I would recommend letting the soil dry out about 70% or more before watering again.

Also, don’t up pot until the roots have mostly filled the current container and when up potting, use the next size up and don’t go big. There should only be about one inch of additional room on all sides in the new pot.

Simon

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 12:46:08 AM »

If growing this tree in a container, I would recommend letting the soil dry out about 70% or more before watering again.

Simon

I think I watered too much on my YangMei seedlings.  All my seedlings die.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 01:21:13 PM »
Keeping Yangmei in the smallest pot feasible will make it significantly easier to control the perched water table and in turn to help control soil moisture.

I believe many people were re watering when the top soil was dry but the bottom third of the pot was probably still wet. People should not give up on Yangmei. It’s an ornamental tree in Japan and other areas and they seem to grow like weeds once established.

Simon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 09:44:04 PM »
Simon, you should have these auctions end around 11pm on a saturday night so that the bidders are nice and "relaxed" while bidding on saturday after a few adult beverages.   :D
Brad Spaugh

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 10:25:25 PM »
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the tips.  I won't give up on YangMei, one of best out there.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 11:31:54 PM »
All my seedlings die as well.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2021, 12:56:50 PM »
Simon, you should have these auctions end around 11pm on a saturday night so that the bidders are nice and "relaxed" while bidding on saturday after a few adult beverages.   :D

Brad, I’ll definitely take your advice. You can tell I’m a rookie when it comes to selling trees online. My next auction will probably end on a Sunday night so that people won’t be in the middle of work, lol!

Whomever gets this tree will be very lucky because I see buds in the leaf axials already so they can already have some buds for grafting.

Simon

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2021, 03:31:36 PM »
Simon this is a beautiful tree, did you graft this one or was it purchased? I’m just curious if there are others propagating this combo and if it’s the method yangmei will grow quicker distribution/adoption here in US.

Thanks,

-joe

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2021, 03:52:40 PM »
Hey Joe, I grafted this tree myself. I spent the last 6-7 months aggressively experimenting on propagation techniques. I’m currently testing out various rootstock and also non Frankia mycorrhiza naturally associated with M. Californica and M. Cerifera. I’ve been testing out max photosynthetic photon flux density (PPFD) so that I can find the sweet spot in terms of natural sun. There’s still a lot to do and I’m learning a lot with each experiment.

Simon

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2021, 05:50:00 PM »
Wow Simon, sounds interesting keep pushing it!!!

-joe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk