Author Topic: Java apple (莲雾)  (Read 1057 times)

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Java apple (莲雾)
« on: September 04, 2021, 10:38:42 PM »
Hi all,

First time eat a java apple, the taste is not very good.  Crunch but little sweet, close to tasteless.  Is it just this variety tasteless or there is a better flavor?

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Java apple (莲雾)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 11:36:08 PM »
It looks like it could stay on just a bit longer but I heard the white varieties are very sweet.  :)
Cheers!

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 12:57:24 AM »
Hi all,

First time eat a java apple, the taste is not very good.  Crunch but little sweet, close to tasteless.  Is it just this variety tasteless or there is a better flavor?

I have a friend in Cerritos, she has Thai jumbo perfume wax apple that she states as the sweetest wax jambu ever.
The only bad thing is, it took a long time (7 years) to fruit from a grafted tree.
Al, you live pretty close to her, I can ask her if it is okay for you to stop by and see her tree.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 02:02:21 AM »
Hi all,

I have a friend in Cerritos, she has Thai jumbo perfume wax apple that she states as the sweetest wax jambu ever.
The only bad thing is, it took a long time (7 years) to fruit from a grafted tree.
Al, you live pretty close to her, I can ask her if it is okay for you to stop by and see her tree.

Hi palingkecil,

If that is possible, I would love to.

Thanks,
Al

shilohtech

• USA, Hawaii/Oahu, Mililani, 12a
    • View Profile
    • Grow Tropical Fruits Youtube Page
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 03:58:01 AM »
The taste gets way better if they are left on the tree long enough to change to a full red color.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 01:05:56 PM »
After read more online, there are three type, white which is the one I ate, pink and red.  Red is the sweetest one.

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 06:44:36 PM »
After read more online, there are three type, white which is the one I ate, pink and red.  Red is the sweetest one.
I think the one you ate is a red one. Red ones are like that when they aren’t ripe  :). When they turn ripe, they turn red but you picked it early so it isn’t sweet. White jambu is completely white with no pink or red
I hope I cleared things up a bit  :D
Cheers!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk