Author Topic: Looking for FL Native PawPaw Plants or Seeds, and decent Pond Apple  (Read 1407 times)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Hello All

Looking for FL pawpaw. Please lmk if you know where I can find.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 09:40:19 AM by roblack »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for FL Native PawPaw Plants or Seeds
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 05:20:00 PM »
You might try the person who was interviewed in this article-- Terri Pietrobergo. It was written 8 years ago, but its a start.

Surfmatt

• FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 07:06:23 PM »
I've never eaten it before but I would love to try one. If anyone has or knows of anyone that has fruit I'd definitely buy some to try.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 07:12:52 PM »
I just bought some pawpaws off of this listing yesterday. I've also never tried them but it seemed like a reasonable deal.

https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Details/22514182/North-American-Pawpaw-Fruit-Approx-45-lbs

SilverSapote

• United States, Central Texas, 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 07:18:05 PM »
I've never eaten it before but I would love to try one. If anyone has or knows of anyone that has fruit I'd definitely buy some to try.
Earthy Delights recently opened orders for this season. If they still process orders like they did a couple years ago, depending on when an order is placed, you'll either get mostly wild/non-named varieties of decent taste (early season) or named varieties (later season). Make sure to pick the fastest shipping possible. Pawpaws are quick to expire in transit, but Earthy Delights mitigates it as best they can by shipping with ice packs.

I just bought some pawpaws off of this listing yesterday. I've also never tried them but it seemed like a reasonable deal.

https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Details/22514182/North-American-Pawpaw-Fruit-Approx-45-lbs
Nice. I may buy some from here.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 09:17:56 PM »
Keep in mind that the pawpaws native to central Florida and south are not the same species and do not have the same flavor as their northern cousins. I have eaten one species of Florida pawpaw (a small one with white flesh). It was a bit bland. I would rate it about on par with coco plum. Suposedly there are much better tasting varieties among the Florida native paw paws and even some hybrids.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for FL Native PawPaw Plants or Seeds. Decent pond apple?
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 09:39:39 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, thinking about ordering some fruit,

Regarding a plant; looking for a friend who lives in South FL as well and who is focusing on native plants.

Doubt the better tasting paw paws would fruit here anyway, so a decent tasting FL variety that has a chance of fruiting is probably the best bet.

A decent pond apple would be cool too.

Gulfcoastgardening

• Largo, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for FL Native PawPaw Plants or Seeds, and decent Pond Apple
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 09:09:02 PM »
What varieties are you looking for?

I grow asimina reticulata, asimina parviflora, asimina obovata, asimina triloba, and asimina pygmaea.

Dan

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 09:52:24 AM »
I have A. longifolia seedlings if you want some of those.
Trying to grow it all!

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 09:54:04 AM »
You might try the person who was interviewed in this article-- Terri Pietrobergo. It was written 8 years ago, but its a start.

Tried contacting this person several times but never get anything back. Not sure she is even in biz anymore.
Trying to grow it all!

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 11:45:27 AM »

Tried contacting this person several times but never get anything back. Not sure she is even in biz anymore.

I tried contacting her about a year or so ago.  I reached her at work and she seemed not at all happy to be called there and rang off quickly after telling me to call her again after work, which I did and no one ever answered.  Nor did she ever answer on any subsequent calls.  Kinda disappointing, that.

Paul M.
==

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 12:17:43 PM »
I have A. longifolia seedlings if you want some of those.

Thanks D-Grower and Gulfcoast. Will do some homework and follow up.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 02:29:22 PM »
That is a real bummer about Terri. Looks like she has gone out of business. I should have checked on that before I posted the link.

Gulfcoastgardening

• Largo, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 04:21:13 PM »

PM'd.

Also, Terri is out of business. I believe she has all 10 species of pawpaw that grow in Florida at her property. I've heard a number of different stories as to why she's out of business and had a few great conversations with her myself. For a time she was more responsive but with being out of business she's likely not trying to respond so much while she's off the clock.

Daniel