Author Topic: ISO Annona/Uvaria/Fingersop plants and seeds  (Read 985 times)

Gulfcoastgardening

• Largo, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
ISO Annona/Uvaria/Fingersop plants and seeds
« on: September 18, 2021, 09:17:06 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm new to posting on the forums, I've been trying to grow a number of different annonas with limited luck. I have Annona glabra seeds planted, Annona reticulata, Annona senegalensis, Annona squamosa, Annona spinescens, Annona neoinsignis.

I've had a terrible time getting germination on a number of seeds I've ordered. I'm new to collecting but not new to growing, I think, often times; I'm getting crispy seeds.

Essentially I'm looking for seeds/plants of just about any tasty Uvaria/Annona species besides Annona glabra(I have a ton of glabra planted)

Dan

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
Re: ISO Annona/Uvaria/Fingersop plants and seeds
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 09:25:36 PM »

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 10:57:27 PM »
I have had similar problems in successfully germinating rare Annonaceae seeds. I tried on three different occasions, with seeds from three different sellers, to grow Uvaria rufa. I once got a single seed to germinate, but the plant was always a sickly runt and died within weeks. I wish I could help you with some rare Annonaceae seeds and growing advice, but I have pretty much given up on growing them. Maybe they are rare for a reason, as I have never had any problems germinating the common types of Annonas.

I have a few Annonas for sale, but the only species which is not already on your list is Annona cherimola, the cherimoya, and most growers claim that species is quite difficult to successfully grow in Florida. I have, so far, had success with my cherimoyas by keeping them in part shade during Alabama's long, hot, humid summer. I do not know whether that is something Florida growers have experimented with or whether it is Florida's winters that negatively affect cherimoyas (when mine are in a nice, climate controlled growing area). Here is a link to my plant sale page: https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=45105.0

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 11:08:03 PM »
I have grown quite a few Uvaria chamae and they have over wintered and gone on to season 2.  I could probably spare a 1 gallon if you are interested in one
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Gulfcoastgardening

• Largo, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 11:14:18 PM »
I have had similar problems in successfully germinating rare Annonaceae seeds. I tried on three different occasions, with seeds from three different sellers, to grow Uvaria rufa. I once got a single seed to germinate, but the plant was always a sickly runt and died within weeks. I wish I could help you with some rare Annonaceae seeds and growing advice, but I have pretty much given up on growing them. Maybe they are rare for a reason, as I have never had any problems germinating the common types of Annonas.

I have a few Annonas for sale, but the only species which is not already on your list is Annona cherimola, the cherimoya, and most growers claim that species is quite difficult to successfully grow in Florida. I have, so far, had success with my cherimoyas by keeping them in part shade during Alabama's long, hot, humid summer. I do not know whether that is something Florida growers have experimented with or whether it is Florida's winters that negatively affect cherimoyas (when mine are in a nice, climate controlled growing area). Here is a link to my plant sale page: https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=45105.0

Yeah, I'm getting absolutely crushed by germination rates and not sure why. Temperatures and moisture are great so I'm assuming bad seeds or there's some kind of pretreatment method that I'm ignorant to.

Dan

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 10:10:01 AM »
My one word tip that has massively improved my seed germination of every species:

Vermiculite

sow seeds in 100% and it will drastically increase your germination

I have several extra Annona and even some uvariodendron for sale- shoot me a PM and I will put a list together

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 09:37:47 PM »
My one word tip that has massively improved my seed germination of every species:

Vermiculite

sow seeds in 100% and it will drastically increase your germination

I have several extra Annona and even some uvariodendron for sale- shoot me a PM and I will put a list together

Thanks for the growing tip. Should I still use a heating mat, just like I would with seed starting trays filled with seed starting mix?

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 10:52:33 PM »
Heat mat never hurts- unless you're trying to cold stratify haha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk