Author Topic: Eugenia Complicata - Murta Azul  (Read 899 times)

Adam8aTexas

• LMK if you have myrtaceae available
    • McKinney, Texas Zone 8a
    • View Profile
Eugenia Complicata - Murta Azul
« on: October 23, 2021, 11:40:30 PM »
Might as well start a thread on this beauty!  ;D
This Eugenia has beautiful leaves from what I’ve seen,
and they even have an interesting blue pulp!<br /><br />
It’s a native to the cerrado and reportedly has a good taste,
I might get some seeds from Bellamytrees and see how they do.
Plant nerd in his teens that enjoys finding new species to add to their collection

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenia Complicata - Murta Azul
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 01:18:13 AM »
There are over 1,100 species of Eugenia. Who knows how many of them are worth collecting, but thankfully more and more of them are being imported.

Adam8aTexas

• LMK if you have myrtaceae available
    • McKinney, Texas Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 06:23:24 PM »
There are over 1,100 species of Eugenia. Who knows how many of them are worth collecting, but thankfully more and more of them are being imported.
I’ve noticed how most cerrado eugenias are usually quite small plants, klotzchiana for example which can fruit very small but grows insanely slow… this could be a good plant for pots, if you train it correctly! At least that’s what I believe… haha  ;D
Plant nerd in his teens that enjoys finding new species to add to their collection

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 07:19:17 PM »
I’ve noticed how most cerrado eugenias are usually quite small plants, klotzchiana for example which can fruit very small but grows insanely slow… this could be a good plant for pots, if you train it correctly! At least that’s what I believe… haha  ;D

The issue with Cerrado (and Caatinga, the neighboring Brazilian dry scrub forest) fruit plants is keeping them alive and happy, as you asked about in another thread. I have generally shied away from plants native to those areas for that reason. I have watched a few videos and read posts where growers talk about the struggle to simply keep them alive, much less fruit them. I do think one of the problems is that many of these growers are in Florida, which gets too wet and cold in the winter for those plants' liking. They do fine in the summer but decline over the winter, usually not making it to the next spring. A more controlled indoor environment might alleviate that. I am trying my hand at growing one species: Ziziphus joazeiro. Its common name is Jua, and it is a jujube native to the Brazilian dry forest. I have two that germinated from seeds this spring and which have grown nicely all through the summer. If I can keep them alive and happy this winter, I will be more amenable to adding other similarly hard-to-grow plants to my collection. Until then, I will simply watch the high prices being paid for these rare Cerrado and Caatinga plants (mostly Eugenias and other Myrtaceae, unlike my Juas) and hope that the people buying them have not lost their investment by March.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk