Author Topic: Meyers Lemon Tree  (Read 2377 times)

mnolanb

• Orange county, ca
    • View Profile
Meyers Lemon Tree
« on: November 08, 2021, 02:46:07 PM »
Any recommendations as to how to help this tree? I fertilize with slow release. I believe this tree is trying to overproduce, I am constantly pinching off buds. Definitely does not have the nice deep green that my lime and orange tree have. Any help is appreciated!

thanks!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Meyers Lemon Tree
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 02:53:51 PM »
Looks way under-fertilized, I would give it 2-4x the amount of soil fertilizer you are currently giving it, and also apply a foliar spray of diluted liquid fertilizer to give it a fast-acting application.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 10:01:50 AM »
The tree is in need of fertilization.  Brian gave you good information.

incubator01

• Belgium, Central Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 05:23:45 PM »
and besides that fact, keep in mind that not all of the leaves will restore to green, once a leaf hits yellow there's a certain time window until it reaches a point of no return.
So once you fertilize as previously mentioned, you should see a portion of leaves change color and some not, but all the new growth should have a better color, if not, you're still not giving enough or the wrong fertilizer.

mnolanb

• Orange county, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 12:10:13 PM »
Thanks for the information!
Second question, can citrus trees be trying to overproduce? This tree has probably several hundred buds and flowers on it. Is this/Can this be a problem?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2021, 01:19:25 PM »
It is common that only1 to 2 percent of the blooms will produce fruit.  This is for all varieties.

mnolanb

• Orange county, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2021, 04:45:41 PM »
It is common that only1 to 2 percent of the blooms will produce fruit.  This is for all varieties.

Millet, so should we let the tree do its course and not nip off?

thanks!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 05:05:39 PM »
I would let the tree go its course.  You can always make any adjustments after he fruit is produced.'

mnolanb

• Orange county, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 12:31:50 PM »
Okay, now this tree is looking really bad. The leaves are really yellow and falling off.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2022, 09:46:50 PM »
Might be a root issue

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2022, 12:29:43 PM »
Is that a bad case of bindweed growing all around the ground?   Bindweed. absorbs both much of the water and nutrients,

mnolanb

• Orange county, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2022, 12:44:28 PM »
Is that a bad case of bindweed growing all around the ground?   Bindweed. absorbs both much of the water and nutrients,

I don't think its bindweed, although a lot of weeds at that. Could this be a nutrient issue or overwater issue? Unfortunately I live in an area that is mainly clay soil so its been difficult understanding overwatering/underwatering my trees.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2022, 01:36:52 PM »

I don't think its bindweed, although a lot of weeds at that. Could this be a nutrient issue or overwater issue? Unfortunately I live in an area that is mainly clay soil so its been difficult understanding overwatering/underwatering my trees.

If the soil is mostly clay it could definitely be an overwatering issue which could lead to root problems. Citrus likes to dry out somewhat in between watering.

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2022, 03:19:44 PM »
The whole tree is clearly dying, so the problem is almost certainly at the roots or trunk.
It would help if you post a picture of the trunk at ground level.
Is this a grafted tree or rooted cutting?
And what is the idea of that netting on the ground?
Here are three possible causes:
1.The roots could be rotting due to waterlogging and poor drainage.
2. It is simply too dry and not getting enough water. Once completely dry it can be difficult for water to penetrate and it runs off before reaching the roots.
3. There is restriction of sap flow in the trunk - usually caused by fungal phytophthera infection arising from physical damage or damp soil on the trunk.

mnolanb

• Orange county, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2022, 09:23:24 PM »
The whole tree is clearly dying, so the problem is almost certainly at the roots or trunk.
It would help if you post a picture of the trunk at ground level.
Is this a grafted tree or rooted cutting?
And what is the idea of that netting on the ground?
Here are three possible causes:
1.The roots could be rotting due to waterlogging and poor drainage.
2. It is simply too dry and not getting enough water. Once completely dry it can be difficult for water to penetrate and it runs off before reaching the roots.
3. There is restriction of sap flow in the trunk - usually caused by fungal phytophthera infection arising from physical damage or damp soil on the trunk.

This is a grafted tree and the netting on the ground is jute netting (for slope erosion control)
I posted a picture for you to see. It’s definitely not dry, we just had a couple showers here in socal. If this is a root rot issue, is there any way to help or is it inevitable that the tree will die?

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2022, 10:35:04 PM »
How long has the tree been in ground?

mnolanb

• Orange county, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2022, 11:14:53 AM »
How long has the tree been in ground?

I believe about two years

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2022, 02:42:21 PM »
If as you say this is a grafted tree then it seems the graft is very near ground level or below ground.
This means that it has been planted much too deep. The graft line should always be well clear of the ground so rain reaching the ground does not splash dirt on to the trunk and cause infection. That is one of the reasons for having a rootstock which is less susceptible to phytophthora than the top variety.
I think that the darker and slightly sunken area just below the main forking branches may be a sign of phytophthora infection.
If it is phytophthora and it has completely circled the trunk, there is little hope for the tree.
A really valuable tree could possibly be saved by grafting new rootstocks above the infection - a process called inarching.
This was carried out on the Parent Washington Navel tree in Riverside. See my photos at
http://www.homecitrusgrowers.co.uk/riverside/parentwashingtonnavel.html

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2022, 04:43:38 PM »
I have read that the original Meyer Lemon tree is not good to have/plant because it is a carrier of citrus tristeza virus (CTV). So, if you don't have the Improved Meyer Lemon then you might want to get rid of your trees since it is not a good one to keep. I have the Improved Meyer lemon tree and it is always green, lots of leaves, nice size fruits each year.
The nursery is only allowed to sell the Improved Meyer Lemon now a days.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2022, 08:19:06 PM »
My semi-dwarf Improved Meyer lemon tree always overproduces but I don't have any of the issues you have. We have a similar climate and I also have clay soil. My tree has grown well since I planted it over 15 years ago. I apply azomite (Rock Dust) at least twice a year as well as Down to Earth citrus fertilizer every two months starting in spring. Most of my fruit trees are on drip irrigation or mini sprinklers attached to a timer I can adjust water as needed.

Enclosed is a photo of my lemon tree taken on January 18th of this year. The tree is now putting on new green grown.  I will also include a photo of my Cara Cara Pink Navel orange tree taken recently that is right next to the Meyer Lemon. The navel orange tree does not produce as heavy as the Meyer but has greener growth overall.

Johnny

Meyer Lemon Tree (1-18-2022)

Cara Cara Pink Navel Orange Tree (2-21-2022)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 08:33:16 PM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2022, 09:19:57 PM »
I have read that the original Meyer Lemon tree is not good to have/plant because it is a carrier of citrus tristeza virus (CTV). So, if you don't have the Improved Meyer Lemon then you might want to get rid of your trees since it is not a good one to keep. I have the Improved Meyer lemon tree and it is always green, lots of leaves, nice size fruits each year.
The nursery is only allowed to sell the Improved Meyer Lemon now a days.

I don't remember the exact details but I recall reading that the original infected meyer is basically unheard of and only improved has been available for a long time