Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Pears in southern CA

(1/3) > >>

spaugh:
Anyone growing good pears in southern CA? 

I grew several types and they produced well but the flavor is no good.  Im looking to top work with some of the better types like

D'anju
Comice
Bartlett

These have pretty high chill ratings.  Does anyone have any of these fruiting or any other good tasting pears?

Thanks!

JCorte:
Hi Brad,

I’m growing Hood, Seckel, and White Doyenne.  I’m assuming you’ve already tried Hood?  Mine did not taste very good the first few years it fruited.  When I was about ready to give up on it, it produced good fruit.  I dehydrated some slightly underripe and they were excellent dried, tasted like candy but not overly sweet. I have not fruited Seckel or White Doyenne yet.  I am surprised the White Doyenne is still alive, it’s growing in complete shade, neglected and not watered in years.  I’m moving it to the farm to give it better conditions.  The Hood has proven itself worthy, effortless to grow, tastes as good as any store bought, excellent dried, blooms early, and fruits reliably.  The other two are supposed to be a couple of the best tasting but not sure if they’ll fruit for me. 

Janet

shiro:
Hi Brad,

I do have the Comice pear and the Bartlett pear, and anjou is not difficult to get as a friend has it.
But unfortunately I am in Europe, maybe a nurseryman friend can send them to you. I'll have to discuss it with him, but it's not certain.

spaugh:
The Pears I have are pineapple, kieffer, and hood.  Had to check the labels to see what they were.  The hood pear is the better of the 2 but still not as good as the ones from the store.  Maybe it will get better.  I found some bare root trees of some of the better tasting store fruits.  Just waiting for them to arrive.  No need to send from europe.  Thank you though.  I bet pears grown in France are amazing. 

shiro:

--- Quote from: spaugh on January 28, 2022, 09:55:34 PM ---The Pears I have are pineapple, kieffer, and hood.  Had to check the labels to see what they were.  The hood pear is the better of the 2 but still not as good as the ones from the store.  Maybe it will get better.  I found some bare root trees of some of the better tasting store fruits.  Just waiting for them to arrive.  No need to send from europe.  Thank you though.  I bet pears grown in France are amazing.

--- End quote ---

Yes, French pears are good, but you also have very good fruit growing in California.

If I can work with a nurseryman friend to get the permits, I'll offer you some as a gift. Because Comice, Williams and Conference are three pears that I offer as gifts to beginners in grafting.
So I wouldn't mind sending you some.
And if you already have some, then we'll see.

But for the moment it's an incredible wait to get the authorisations, the administration here is slow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version