Author Topic: Mango tree with Panicles also has a branch in Vegetative flush, should I trim?  (Read 498 times)

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
My tree, going into its second year of producing fruit (last year only one small branch on the tree flowered), has panicles pushing on numerous branches now. Unfortunately, one branch is pushing a very strong/large vegetative flush. I'm wondering if that growth will take energy away from the fruit development and should be removed (by either breaking off the new shoots or trimming off the branch ends). Anybody have any past experience with a situation like this?

The branch is near the center of the tree and as tall as the tallest branches around it. If I allow it to proceed while everything around it flowers, it will become the dominant branch (needing heavy trimming eventually, in any case). The tree is already as tall and wide as I want it to be, I just want it to fruit now.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
If the new branch does not fit with your ideas of tree size and shape, seems like trimming now would be the way to go. Shouldn't hurt your forming panicles, and will cease to be a drain on energy (as you suggested).

I trim mango trees whenever they need it or I feel like it. Have not noticed any problems doing this when a tree is in partial bloom. The only time/way have hurt flowers or fruit has been fertilizing at the wrong time.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 12:10:17 PM by roblack »

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
The nodules that started getting bigger a month ago on my Maha Chanock turned out to be blooms. They're getting snipped off because the tree is only about 5' tall and was planted this past Summer. Maybe next year I can leave a few intact.

If I just knock those off will the branch continue to push growth buds there, or should I cut lower on the branch?

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Thanks for your input Rob!

Calusa, there are several threads on here regarding your question and also a YT video from Truly Tropical. If you keep breaking off the panicles, the tree will keep pushing more and wasting energy until Spring. Cutting the branch(es) back might prevent more panicles, but it goes against your desire for a bigger tree. Cut off all but one panicle (if you have multiple) per branch and trim the panicle down so that only one set of flowers remains on the panicle. Let those flowers go to fruit and then pick off the small fruit when they get something like pea-sided (try to leave at least one on any panicle until we get to the growing season again). That should keep branches from wasting energy on more panicles and have it ready to grow when the weather heats up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk