Author Topic: Fig tree die back  (Read 609 times)

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Fig tree die back
« on: February 02, 2022, 12:15:49 PM »
Does anybody have an idea why a fig tree or in my case three different trees of different varieties keep dying back to the ground in winter? I'm in the FL panhandle so it definitely doesn't get too cold here. However this has happened every year for 3 years. No clue why this would occur when there's other figs in the yard doing fine and all over town. Also two if the three are rooted pieces from local trees that don't freeze or die back. What the heck is up here?
Trying to grow it all!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Fig tree die back
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 10:53:44 PM »
Maybe the tree is not going dormant? If the sap is up, it can freeze much easier.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 08:19:16 AM »
Ya it's possible. Perhaps too much fresh growth before winter sets in? I've lost every bit of growth on these three trees for a few seasons now. Comes back from the stump yearly but cannot keep any growth gained through summer.
Trying to grow it all!

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 07:08:40 PM »
You should post a picture on the Ourfigs forum and see what they think. Have you checked the roots for nematode damage? If they are attacking the roots, it could weaken the tree enough so when the cold comes it dies back. If that is the case I would take cuttings from it and start them now.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 07:20:23 PM »
Unfortunately no cuttings can be taken. They freeze back to the ground entirely every season. Have come back every season so far though. Nematodes may be a possibility and I'm sure there are many kinds. As far a root knotting nematodes I wouldn't think so. Never pull up anything here with lots of knots in the roots. Not even annual veggies. Carrots often do branch here though for some reason. Other root veggies don't though. When it comes to root knot nematodes when I lived down southward they were horrible but here not so much. Soil is very thick and not sugar sand like a lot of Florida.
Trying to grow it all!