Author Topic: Anyone growing Zutano in Florida?  (Read 815 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Anyone growing Zutano in Florida?
« on: April 27, 2022, 03:49:43 PM »
I'm very surprised of how well this tree is doing. First is beautiful, almost like a landscape tree. Huge leaves, dark green when mature, light green when new, nice contrast. Seems very healthy not affected by our usual diseases. Flowered late but the fruit is growing very fast and clean. No idea how it would taste in So. Florida
The tree is planted in a row of Donies all planted around the same time about 4 years ago. The Zutano is 3 times the size. 
Does anyone in Florida has experience with this?

Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone growing Zutano in Florida?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 12:25:44 PM »
Beautiful tree, Carlos.  I hope the fruit is good.  Keep us posted.  Here's a profile of Zutano I found, and also information on the web says it's a cold-hardy variety so it should do well in other parts of Florida.  https://gregalder.com/yardposts/zutano-avocado-a-profile/
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 01:14:31 PM by johnb51 »
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 02:51:24 PM »
This is getting very interesting:
From a climate and gardening viewpoint, Zutano tolerates light bouts with winter frosts but must not be grown where temperatures dip below 24 degrees F. Use it in USDA winter hardiness zones 9b and warmer and in Sunset climate zones 9 and 16 through 24.

This covers a lot of Florida. The seeds should carry some cold tolerance as well.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 02:57:03 PM »
Its a strong tree, basically an avocado weed tree.  Unfortunately the fruit is not very good in my opinion.  Ive seen a few people say thry like it but most people dont care much for the fruit.  The seeds make good root stocks though.

Did you ever try the tree called "Hellen" ?

The tree is also pretty strong growing and fruit is pretty high quality. 

I have some hawaii types that grow ok here but dont flower also if you want to trial any of them carlos.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 03:05:51 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 08:37:10 PM »
Brad, I had at one point or another I had most of Hawaiian avocado. The last one is a Fujikawa that I have not gotten around to top work. They don't grow well here with the possible exception of the Nishikawa which I don't like and although a good producer I don't think has a commercial value.

I did have a Hellen, but it did not like the humidity and a lot of fungal issues.

Let's see how this Zutano Grows here. Each climate and soil impart its own characteristic to the fruit. It was an accident kind of. The trees were supposed to be a clonal Zutano root stock and a Simonds on top.  Just to see how the Zutano grew in our soil. As it turns out it was the other way around. Clonal Simonds root stock and Zutano on top.

Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 12:33:53 PM »
Nishikawa which I don't like
I thought you really liked Nishikawa, Carlos? From what I recall you compared it very favorably to a Catalina on your site. What changed your mind about it?

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 09:57:47 AM »
I don't like it enough to grow it. There is a flavor there same as Catalina that is not my favorite, others love it.

That is not to say is not a great avocado. Productive and very creamy, However, in my grove is also hard to keep clean and tends to ripen with some internal issues. 
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 12:55:21 PM »
I don't like it enough to grow it. There is a flavor there same as Catalina that is not my favorite, others love it.

That is not to say is not a great avocado. Productive and very creamy, However, in my grove is also hard to keep clean and tends to ripen with some internal issues.
Thank you for the explanation, Carlos. I have a tree that's still a few years from providing fruit. My family only knows Hass avocados, hoping the Nishikawa (and/or the Day tree I have) is a suitable substitute.

BTW, if you want to move this topic from the Buy, Sell, & Trade board to the Tropical Fruit Discussion board (probably will get more attention), I'd be happy to.