Author Topic: Duke 7 growing and thriving in So. Florida  (Read 1281 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Duke 7 growing and thriving in So. Florida
« on: May 21, 2022, 07:45:45 AM »
Finally, these 3 Duke 7s  I have are over the juvenility period and are setting fruit.

Grafted on Waldin they make a very nice looking tree. Almost ornamental. Beautiful growth habit, compact and tall. Fruit is sizing up real nice and clean for Mid May.

Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Duke 7 growing and thriving in So. Florida
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 01:12:35 PM »
I'm happy to see that you haven't given up on avocados, Carlos.  Are you managing to move beyond laurel wilt?  How about avocado growers in general in south Miami-Dade?
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 08:09:01 PM »
No John I have not given up. Although the thought has crossed my mind. A lot of acreage has been lost to the wilt and to development. With the value of agricultural land at 100K plus an acre. There is a lot of selling. On the bright side there is 30% less trees in the area now. Hopefully better prices for the nuts that are replanting trees and dealing with Laurel Wilt, it is pretty exhausting.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Juno

• USA, FL, Boca Raton 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 09:07:57 AM »
Hi Carlos! I have read your exhaustive articles on growing avocados in South Florida. It seems like it is a tricky situation here. If you had to recommend one variety for 10 B, what would be your top pick as of now? I am debating whether I want to try to plant one and I am somewhat new at this. Of course I want a Hass if it would be the same as in other regions, but alas I know the struggle! Thanks.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 10:21:26 AM »
(Don't plant Florida Hass!  I don't know enough about Super-Hass.) :)
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 04:21:24 PM »
As John said don't plant a Florida Hass.

There is a very active thread now Overhyped avocados nothing is truer. I don't follow the hypes I have planted too many hyped trees only to be mostly disappointed.   I would find out from other forum members what is growing well in your area and then try the fruit to see if you like it.  Plant what you like.

Good luck in your quest.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 04:42:33 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Juno

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 11:35:32 PM »
I'm 10b South Florida, just like you! That's why I asked your expert opinion!  ;D

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 10:48:08 AM »
I'm 10b South Florida, just like you! That's why I asked your expert opinion!  ;D
South Miami-Dade is unique in many ways.  Different than Boca although still 10b.  You probably have better soil for avocados.  If I'm not mistaken, many growers had to blast holes in coral rock when planting groves!  (I'm not sure what the red soil in the Redland is all about.)  Can't blame you for seeking advice.  I never tasted Super-Hass, but I'd like to.  It's supposed to be a seedling from Louisiana that likes South Florida.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 11:16:54 AM by johnb51 »
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2022, 01:20:43 PM »
Agree with John. Big difference from Boca to Homestead in soil and even temperatures. Although the people close to the ocean may have similar Temperatures. Look Juno is not that I dont like to recommend, is that I'm a firm believer that homeowners should plant what they like.   It takes a long time to get a tree into normal production. 3-4 years. You want to invest the time in something that you like that grows well in your area.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2022, 02:48:26 PM »
Paul is in WPB, and he's big on avocados.  https://www.youtube.com/c/FruitfulTrees/featured  What part of Boca are you, Juno?  Coastal, central, or West?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 03:08:13 PM by johnb51 »
John

Juno

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2022, 06:23:54 PM »
I'm about two miles west of 95 as the crow flies. I have never had a good Florida avocado, but was looking at the Oro Negro. Looked interesting!

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2022, 06:52:22 PM »
I'm about two miles west of 95 as the crow flies. I have never had a good Florida avocado, but was looking at the Oro Negro. Looked interesting!
Oro Negro has a very rich flavor.  Some folks have had good luck growing it.  Others haven't.  I'm in the latter category.  The tree is not a heavy producer.  Julian Lara (www.larafarmsmiami.com) is propagating a variety he calls Ronny that he swears by, and I believe he'll be propagating a new variety from Puerto Rico called Lolo, which is supposed to have amazing flavor, but it hasn't been trialed in Florida yet.
John

Juno

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2022, 09:34:52 PM »
Great. I'll check them out.
Thank you for the referral.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2022, 10:26:22 PM »
I live very close to the redlands and have never had any issues with laurel wilt, now I have multiple avocadoes on my property for many years.  It's not guaranteed your trees will get laurel wilt.  I think citrus greening and lychee erinose mite are diseases you are guaranteed to get but laurel wilt you are rolling the dice, but the chances aren't super high.

I searched long and hard for varieties I like.  I'm growing one tree even though I've never tried the fruit because it's impossible to find a place selling the fruit.  If I don't like the fruit I will take it out while it's still small.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2022, 11:22:36 PM »
I live very close to the redlands and have never had any issues with laurel wilt, now I have multiple avocadoes on my property for many years.  It's not guaranteed your trees will get laurel wilt.  I think citrus greening and lychee erinose mite are diseases you are guaranteed to get but laurel wilt you are rolling the dice, but the chances aren't super high.

I searched long and hard for varieties I like.  I'm growing one tree even though I've never tried the fruit because it's impossible to find a place selling the fruit.  If I don't like the fruit I will take it out while it's still small.
Don't be mysterious, Julie.  Give us the rundown.  Tell us what all you're growing. ;D  We supposed be sharin' information here!  Juno wants to know.  Johnb, too!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 01:27:01 PM by johnb51 »
John

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2022, 12:01:44 AM »
These are the ones I picked:
Oro Negro
Taylor
Tonnage
Maria Black (have not tasted)