Author Topic: Rooting Prague chimera cuttings  (Read 1374 times)

nullroar

• 7b
    • View Profile
Rooting Prague chimera cuttings
« on: July 15, 2022, 09:01:43 AM »
Does anyone have any successful experience rooting Prague chimera cuttings?

I've tried a variety of strategies - I don't want to graft it onto poncirus because I'd like these new plants to be on their own roots to test cold hardiness. So far, I've been unsuccessful.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
Re: Rooting Prague chimera cuttings
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 09:22:48 AM »
plant seeds  much better test.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 07:09:22 PM »
What techniques have failed ?
The common cutting methods ?
Are you covering the cuttings with a plastic bag etc , or misting or bottom heating ??
Are you using tip cuttings or section cuttings ? how long are the cuttings ?
Where is the failure ? i.e. whole cutting dies at once,
or does top stay alive but planted section rots ?
Do the cuttings die or just sit there and fail to take ?

Peep

• Belgium, Antwerp - 8a/8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 07:13:33 PM »
Does anyone have any successful experience rooting Prague chimera cuttings?

I've tried a variety of strategies - I don't want to graft it onto poncirus because I'd like these new plants to be on their own roots to test cold hardiness. So far, I've been unsuccessful.

Do you think it will be more cold resistant on its own roots, compared to poncirus?
I've read some speculation that the prague roots might grow to be the same as poncirus roots, what do you know/think about that?

I have good succes with rooting poncirus, but haven't tried prague yet. I will probably try once my prague is bigger.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 07:38:54 PM »
I had a prauge cutting sit in coir for a year and it did not put out roots. It did callous, and surprisingly never dried up, I kept it watered obviously, but it never grew leaves.

I finally grafted the same cutting and it started growing leaves after the union healed lol

Someone in a different forum I follow mentioned air-layering working for them, maybe you can try that.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 09:49:24 PM »
Etiolation might be helpful ??
Probably banding the section to be rooted, while still attached to the mother plant.
This would maintain the twig through the first stages pre callus / cutting development.
I was experimenting with trying to induce flowering and banded some Citrus trunks with alfoil.
Small root stubs grew under the tinfoil after several months without wounding etc as per marcotts.
As wounding induces callus, you could also try part wounding under the etiolation bands.
Is there a problem with the Prague Chimera twigs having insufficient leaves to maintain a cutting ?
https://propg.ifas.ufl.edu/05-cuttings/01-terminology/05-cuttingterms-etiolationbanding.html

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 02:22:12 PM »
I am the "Someone in a different forum".
https://citrusgrowersv2.proboards.com/thread/521/prague-chimera

Try a search with "Prague chimera".

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 11:32:57 AM »
I had no problem rooting Prague Citsuma cuttings about three years ago..  I took the cuttings in late July while they were still somewhat rubbery, cut a diagonal and dipped them in rooting hormone (Dip-N-Grow), inserted them in potting soil in a transparent pot, then put them in closed transparent containers to keep the humidity high.  About six weeks later roots could be seen at the bottom of the soil in the pots of half of the six.

Maybe beginner's luck?  Or maybe the rooting compound, or maybe the timing of when I took the cuttings, were factors.  I gave a couple away and planted the other in the ground, where it is slowly growing, next to another Prague Citsuma I grafted on FD rootstock.  Both are growing slowly.   
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 11:36:02 AM by jim VH »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 01:54:19 AM »
plant seeds  much better test.
Probably not a good idea. We've had this discussion before. Since this cultivar is a rare chimera, any seeds planted from the fruits are likely to turn out to be plain Satsuma mandarin seeds. Although no one has actually tested that hypothesis, as far as I know.

nullroar

• 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 02:59:19 AM »
Jim, how thick were your cuttings? Given that it is july here, I may try.

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 11:11:44 AM »
Hi Nullroar,
     I don't rightly recollect (to use a bit of western slang) what size I used four years ago, but I suspect they were on the small side.  I just went out and looked at what's out there now, and the Prague has the unfortunate property that the newest branches are rather flat.  From hat I just measured, the short dimension seems to be between 1/16 inch and 1/8 inch, while the wide dimension ranges from about 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch.   That's about
3mm-6mm.  I do recall I made two slices along opposite sides of the skinny side, forming a vee shape.
     Another weird thing I just noticed (nothing to do with taking cuttins) is that it appears to be starting a second bloom, which I've never seen before this early.  Maybe because almost no fruit set on the first bloom, due to the cold wet spring and early summer we've had this year.

Jim

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 08:25:57 AM »
Since this cultivar is a rare chimera, any seeds planted from the fruits are likely to turn out to be plain Satsuma mandarin seeds. Although no one has actually tested that hypothesis, as far as I know.
I did it many times. If not pollinated we obtain pure mandarin but it gets easily pollinated contrary of satsuma.

https://citrusgrowersv2.proboards.com/thread/521/prague-chimera