Author Topic: Mexican Lime Tree Problem  (Read 578 times)

Kingpickle

• Phoenix
    • View Profile
Mexican Lime Tree Problem
« on: July 18, 2022, 10:06:53 AM »
I bought a new house in a Phoenix suburb and had the back yard professionally landscaped two months ago, including three trees: Arizona Yellow Bell, Pomegranate, and Mexican Lime. All three were doing well until a couple of days ago. Almost overnight, the Lime tree leaves started drooping and falling off and the tree looks like it's dying (other two tree doing fine). My landscaper is stumped. Any ideas?

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican Lime Tree Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 11:16:11 AM »
Your picture size/dimensions/quality will make any diagnosing difficult. You need to take a much better quality/higher resolution photo(s). Get closer to the tree, at the least, and take some close photos of the branches, leaves and down at soil level. If the entirety of the tree is displaying the same symptoms, it's a root/soil/moisture issue. What's the soil mix and watering schedule?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 12:01:10 PM »
Like Jakefruit intimated, one of the very first things a person thinks of when a newly summer planted tree in Phoenix is having problems, is the watering schedule.  In  the Phoenix area I would plant a new citrus tree in the fall months.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 12:52:56 PM »
Yes that looks to me like the tree dried out completely.  My experience with citrus is that by the time they show drought stress like this it is often already too late and the tree will die or die-back significantly.

Or, similar appearance if the whole thing was sprayed with herbicide like glyphosate/roundup, but that seems unlikely and any grass/weeds around it would likely be dead also from the overspray & dripping