Author Topic: Best time for picking guava and cherimoya for maximum ripeness  (Read 146 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Best time for picking guava and cherimoya for maximum ripeness
« on: December 18, 2022, 04:14:03 PM »
So my guava plants are having some fruit thats ripening, i awlays have the feeling that i pick them a little underripe.   Cherimoya should be coming in february, so my question regarding those two is...
Can i bag the fruit that close to being ripe with organza bags, tie up the handles to a branch and just wait for the fruit to detach from the stem on its own? Is this the way of getting maximum ripenes?  I saw this trick on one youtube channel where the person bagged the cherimoya fruit and waited for them to fall off in the bags.
Anyone doing/done this?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Best time for picking guava and cherimoya for maximum ripeness
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 01:11:35 AM »
You can let the cherimoya drop off but they may get a little over ripe.  Its better if you get them a few days earlier.  The flesh is more pure white color and not turning yellow/brown at all and also the stem will be intact.  When the cherimoya drops off the tree from being fully ripe, the core of the fruit pulls out and leaves a big hole in the top of the fruit.  But the fruit still need a few days to soften at that point and they are open to more rot/discoloration.

You will know when to pick, the fruit goes from green to starting to turn green/yellow.  It is easy to tell the right time by looking at it if you know what to look for.  So post photos and we can tell.

For guavas, if it is a yellow skin type, you wait until almost all green is gone and it turns yellow and if its perftly ripe it will be soft off the tree.  And if it goes a day or 2 too long, they fall off.

Your bag trick is actually better for the guavas.
Brad Spaugh

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Best time for picking guava and cherimoya for maximum ripeness
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 01:26:49 AM »
Thanks spaugh! I will post pictures of the cherimoya fruits when they start to ripen.
I already ordered 50 organza bags,  ok i will use them on the guava and see if theres any improvement flavourwise when i let them fall off.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk