Author Topic: What seems to be the problem with this Mauritius lychee tree?  (Read 726 times)

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
What seems to be the problem with this Mauritius lychee tree?
« on: September 19, 2022, 03:38:00 PM »
I have Mauritius lychee that has been in the ground for 7 years bought from local nursery in 15G, that has grown to reaching the house roof line and beyond. It produced “decent” crop in 2019, but none in 2020 and only a few dozen fruits for 2021 and even less this year!

The tree seems to be a healthy looking and still growing, but the last 3 years it has not been producing enough fruits to speak about.

So, I am puzzled with it, perhaps someone(s) would offer some suggestion of what should I look for that may help increase this tree’s fruit production?

Sam

Samu

• View Profile
Re: What seems to be the problem with this Mauritius lychee tree?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 09:15:21 PM »
Trying to add the photo of the tree:

Sam

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 10:11:22 PM »
Lychee bloom is one of the most misunderstood elements of fruit growing. To bloom, lychee trees must experience cold temperatures when the buds are just starting to grow. If cold happens when the tree is not actively starting growth or if cold temps happen when the tree is well into a flush it will not bloom. If you live in a spot that does not consistently have temps below 50 when the tree should be blooming, getting fruit will be difficult. You can increase your chances by reducing nitrogen fertilizer and water in the late fall in an effort to keep the tree from flushing until the coldest part of the year.

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 11:44:01 PM »
Yeah, I've been steadily maintaining the watering and fertilizing routine throughout the years. So, I will reduced the Nitrogen and watering this coming fall based on your suggestion above. I am grateful for your useful advice and taking the time to reply, really appreciate it Galatians522!
Sam

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 02:28:46 PM »
You are welcome Samu! I hope you start getting some fruit!

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 02:51:07 PM »
Are you getting blooms and no fruits? Or are you not getting blooms?

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 03:18:19 PM »
It blooms every year,  but somehow the flowers seemed to keep dropping prior to forming the fruitlets, or, most of the fruitlets dropped after they were formed…leaving just a handful mature fruits (literally) for me to taste…

This looks like the healthiest and fastest growing fruit tree in my yard, and yet it’s been a big disappointing performer for me…
Sam

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 04:36:10 PM »
I have seen that happen here whem we get very dry weather after bloom and fruitset.

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2022, 05:22:48 PM »
It blooms every year,  but somehow the flowers seemed to keep dropping prior to forming the fruitlets, or, most of the fruitlets dropped after they were formed…leaving just a handful mature fruits (literally) for me to taste…

This looks like the healthiest and fastest growing fruit tree in my yard, and yet it’s been a big disappointing performer for me…

This is all conjecture but I seen lots of lychees blooms in socal here but not hold fruit until they are older trees.  A second variety may help with pollination.  But there's an experiment I been meaning to try that maybe you could try out.  Lychee blooms seems to have very little nectar in my area and seems to attract mostly flies and some sort of wasp which may not be quite as good a pollinators as bees.  I seen some experiments with getting avocado blooms to fruit by spraying sugar water to attract pollinators.  Maybe you could give it a shot as an experiment.

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2022, 06:28:17 PM »
Thank you guys for your opinion/response…give me some ideas to experiments.
Sam