Author Topic: Achacha in California?  (Read 12211 times)

ryanscion

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Achacha in California?
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2023, 08:15:05 PM »

SHV what is your potting soil for the achachas in 15 gals?

I have a couple Achachas that were approximately 4 ft high, nicely branched, doing well in an unheated greenhouse. I slowly introduced them to outdoor shade then full sun over a spring and summer. The new leaves would get trashed whenever there was a windy day under outdoor shade but would grow ok. Once exposed to full sun, the tree would get burnt to hell and new leaves would not fully develop.  Over the following winter, lots of dieback exposed to the elements.  I dug them up and potted them back in the greenhouse to recover and are doing fine.
You can grow them here, but they need a lot of protection from the elements, particularly if you live more inland.  Most seedling Garcinias that I have acquired do just fine in pots in a greenhouse, even with regular mid-high 30F nights. Space will eventually be the concern. Eventually will be a long time based on their slow growth.

Here’s my Achachas pushing all kinds of new growth. Had to tie their heads to the ceiling due to too heavy weight.  Both in 15 gallon pots and loving the desert heat of my greenhouse. 

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2023, 09:56:10 AM »
My winter lows are just above freezing on the upper end of the property. Last winter was the first in 3 years I touched 32F, but normally I get a few days that are in the mid 30s.
My soil mix for Garcinia is an equal part Peat moss and Garden bed soil mix, with 10-20% perlite added. The garden bed mix I source from San Pasqual valley soils by the cubic yard and it’s comprised of a blend of “premium composts, washed sand, coco coir, pumice and gypsum.”

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2023, 08:14:53 PM »

Shade cages are ugly, especially for client install but can really give you a fighting chance to establish a species that has evolved to grow up under canopy. Planting the biggest one you can find /afford will help too

Your Escondido  Achachairu looks great , I hope the stretch out is sustainable and she fills out in the middle. I know I never want to top a Garcinia.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2023, 02:39:39 PM »
I know I never want to top a Garcinia.

Both of mine that I just got were topped in transit... Ugh. I hope they will be ok long term.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2023, 01:42:05 AM »
I hope so, probably if you find a spot they like in the greenhouse for over winter. They naturally grow wide and seem like starting a new central leader a new direction wouldn't be a problem , I can't recall if I have seen it from breakage.
very much worth trying to unlock the code for your zone. They seem to handle a bit more direct light than other garcinia, even from young. I can't get enough of this fruit.

Both of mine that I just got were topped in transit... Ugh. I hope they will be ok long term.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2023, 01:40:06 PM »
very much worth trying to unlock the code for your zone. They seem to handle a bit more direct light than other garcinia, even from young. I can't get enough of this fruit.

I had some fruit earlier this year and was honestly blown away. It was REALLY good, and got me inspired to try again with bigger trees. I did plant the seeds as well, but don't hold much hope for overwintering babies. They're parked dead center in the greenhouse. I think I just need to be very conscious of not overwatering. A tree that grows so slow doesn't drink much, and inevitably was what killed them the last time I tried.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk