Author Topic: Garcinia Sp. Pacurí  (Read 1749 times)

Andreas Gia

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Garcinia Sp. Pacurí
« on: March 19, 2021, 01:53:36 PM »
I just wanted to get this topic out there because I believe this garcinia has a lot of potential for those who want to zone push. As far as I know, this species has only been sold by Marcus here on the forum and I happened to have the opportunity of buying 6 seeds of the “large fruited” variety. That being said, there is little to no information about this species online with the exception being the information provided by Marcus. He says they are hardy down to -5 C. I can attest to that claim. Without a doubt the most cold hardy garcinia I have come into contact with. Not only that but 3 of the plants are very vigorous, growing even during the winter months here. They have great flood tolerance as well as frost tolerance. The only issue being that I cannot test compatibility as a rootstock nor quality of fruit.
If anyone has information about the Latin name of this species or anything they know about the species I think that would be most invaluable especially for those trying to push the limits with this genus

(Do not tell me they are an achacha; they are clearly not)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Garcinia Sp. Pacurí
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 02:03:22 PM »
How do they taste compared to others, though?  I'm growing in a greenhouse so cold hardiness isn't a factor

Andreas Gia

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 02:45:14 PM »
How do they taste compared to others, though?  I'm growing in a greenhouse so cold hardiness isn't a factor

I would think Marcus is the only one that can give a correct flavor profile comparison. There is a video of him trying the fruit but I could not get a full sense of it because I’m pretty sure if I remember correctly, it was in Portuguese.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 02:57:57 PM »
FYI On most of Marcos' videos you can turn on CC then click on Options -> Auto-translate -> English

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 11:28:53 AM »
Can anyone provide a link to these videos?  I would like to watch them.

Bill

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 11:47:12 AM »

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 10:27:07 PM »
I have been reading about this variety on the forum.  It appears that it might be G. Brasiliensis.  I don't know.  Does anyone else have any input?

Thanks,
Bill

Andreas Gia

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 01:07:37 AM »
I have been reading about this variety on the forum.  It appears that it might be G. Brasiliensis.  I don't know.  Does anyone else have any input?

Thanks,
Bill

Highly doubt it is. The seed itself was almost as large as a G. Brasiliensis fruit. The seeds I got were slightly larger than a lucs seed but not larger than the g. dulcis seeds I’ve received in the past. The foliage is also somewhat different

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 06:52:41 AM »
Not G.brasiliensis but clearly closely related. Could be a selection of G.gardneriana.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 07:28:43 AM »

I would think Marcus is the only one that can give a correct flavor profile comparison. There is a video of him trying the fruit but I could not get a full sense of it because I’m pretty sure if I remember correctly, it was in Portuguese.
The video is in spanish, not portuguese. Marcus is from Argentina, in an area just north of Buenos Aires. He says this fruit is native to Argentina, Paraguay, and Brazil, and that would explain why it is more cold hardy than other garcinias. I don't know what speices it is, but it's definitely not brasilensis or intermedia. He compares the flavor and size to an achachairu in the video. He says that like achachairu the pacuri needs to be fully ripe to be sweet. Also that the pacuri oxidizes and browns a lot faster once opened than does the achachairu.
Update: i did a google search on pacuri and found this website from Bolivia that says that pacuri is Garcinia achachairu. Yes there really is such a species name, and it is a different fruit from the one we normally refer to as achachairu in this forum. The website has photos and it looks like a match: https://rescatando-mi-cultura-guaran.blogspot.com/2011/07/el-pacuri.html
Oscar

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2022, 12:12:14 PM »
Any update on your Garcinia sp. Pacuri?  How big are they now?  I have some growing and they are indeed fast growing for a Garcinia.

Bill

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2022, 02:43:53 PM »
Unfortunately Andreas was killed in the Miami Surfside Condo Collapse- by pointless negligence on the building managements part

His family is doing their best to maintain his plants, Although I have not seen what remains of his collection for a while

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2022, 12:50:55 AM »
I did not know. That is horrible.

Bill

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2022, 01:54:43 PM »
It is.

If you want some more info there was a thread and fundraiser that ultimately was donated to the Houston Botanic Garden a while back here-

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=44362.msg434490#msg434490