Author Topic: Are seedlings always more hardy than grafted plants?  (Read 742 times)

lajos93

• Hungary, Zone 7 (Zone 9B GH)
    • View Profile
Are seedlings always more hardy than grafted plants?
« on: October 30, 2022, 05:11:40 PM »
So if you have a tree that tolerates 10f/-12C on paper,

Does it mean if I graft one of its seedling with one branch off the tree together then in 3-4 years they will be just as hardy, tolerant of cold, disease etc.. as its non grafted counterpart?

Or the weak point after the graft remains long after the grafting is done and never actually heals 100% only 99% at best?

Follow up question: If thats the case can air layering be a solution to this since its roots and the stem is identical?
stuff

lajos93

• Hungary, Zone 7 (Zone 9B GH)
    • View Profile
Re: Are seedlings always more hardy than grafted plants?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 05:15:12 PM »
To the ADMINS:
WRONG TOPIC, PLEASE MOVE IT TO THE DISCUSSIONS
stuff

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 06:30:57 PM »
Depends on the root stock used. A more cold tolerant root stock will increase cold tolerance of the whole plant. That being said there is usually some minor loss of vigor or drawback to grafts but it varies and not enough to matter. Self rooted cuttings are smallest and less vigorous than grafts or seedlings

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 04:55:35 PM »
It is reasonably common with Citrus for the scion to die but the rootstock to survive. This could be caused by a freeze but also other stress like drought or disease.
Sometimes the scion will die right back to the to the graft or bud and can recover if rootstock suckers are stopped from taking over.
Death beyond the graft is a loss of the scion variety. You could regraft the rootstock, but for rare scion varieties they may be hard to get again ?
It has been suggested that the graft union acts as a permanent cincture, and this is part of the reason grafted plants flower and fruit early.
( Apart from the maturity of the scion). As you say never 100% fully healed in that respect.
Plants also exhibit fungal dieback. A fungal infection causes progressive plant death down the stem to a lower point.
It is a strategy for the plant to escape the infection. Possibly a scion could be subject to this until the graft union is reached.
With Citrus I have often noticed that if suckers are allowed to grow well above the graft union, they can not only dominate due to vigour, but send the scion backwards and kill it eventually. ( Delayed rejection ? )
Overall I would say the closer related the rootstock and scion are related / the less incompatibility, then the more likely that both will behave similarly.
I certainly have some grafted Fingerlimes that have died back to below the rootstock and some seedling Fingerlimes that died back to the roots but resprouted, so I still have that variety.
Also I have quite a few interesting Citrus seedlings that I grew, where the original seedling was weak and now only survives as grafted plants that I propagated for insurance.
I think you would have to also consider the advantages and disadvantages of grafting to rootstock vs airlayers or even cuttings.
For rare plants you don't want to lose, or can't replace you may want a few versions as a back up plan.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 06:37:48 PM by pagnr »

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 05:25:34 PM »
So if you have a tree that tolerates 10f/-12C on paper,

Does it mean if I graft one of its seedling with one branch off the tree together then in 3-4 years they will be just as hardy, tolerant of cold, disease etc.. as its non grafted counterpart?

I don't think there's a single answer for all types of tree, but one thing to realize is if you are zone pushing then you might have the plant die above ground in a bad freeze, so unless the graft is buried that will mean you lose the grafted variety even if the roots survive and regrow. If the plant is on its own roots (air layered or rooted cuttings) then you won't lose that variety if it's badly damaged and needs to regrow from the roots.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 07:34:42 PM »
yes, in more ways than one
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County