Author Topic: Identity of mango in Singapore?  (Read 558 times)

LostBoy_Dani

• USA, California, 10A
    • View Profile
Identity of mango in Singapore?
« on: March 25, 2023, 02:01:40 PM »

I am SO sad this was the only picture I took, but a few years ago I was visiting family in Singapore and we got these enormous mangoes that were so delicious. They were large (at least compared to my limited experience from west coast grocery stores), had a large seed but still good flesh to pit ratio, and the flesh inside was a darker orange color, soft and juicy and fiberless (I think), and a few had darker green skin but still sweet and ripe orange flesh inside. I haven’t had many mango varieties yet, but they tasted like a Manila mango but with a much stronger flavor overall. If anyone has any ideas as to the variety I’d love to know!

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Identity of mango in Singapore?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 11:07:59 PM »
Did you save the seeds?

LostBoy_Dani

• USA, California, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 12:28:16 AM »
Did you save the seeds?

I did not, it was a couple years ago and I live in California where they would be...very angry at me for bringing in anything that could risk the agriculture here :(

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 09:21:56 PM »
Did you save the seeds?

I did not, it was a couple years ago and I live in California where they would be...very angry at me for bringing in anything that could risk the agriculture here :(
No jail term. They would throw it into the trash bin if caught. You could clean the seed really good, then paint it as a Buddha and put on a neck then they wouldn't know. 

LostBoy_Dani

• USA, California, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 09:13:19 AM »
Did you save the seeds?

No jail term. They would throw it into the trash bin if caught. You could clean the seed really good, then paint it as a Buddha and put on a neck then they wouldn't know.

That's good to know! Haha not a bad idea! Is it common for folks to be able to bring seeds into California from other places without issue? I wasn't sure how strict they were on this...

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 01:35:48 PM »
possibly golden queen

SDPirate

• Chula Vista, Zone 10B Coast/Inland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 06:52:47 PM »
I don't think seeds are necessarily a big deal taking back to CA, they sell them in certain airports even.  They are looking more for pests, fruit, or blacklisted/invasive species I think.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 06:58:58 PM »
I don't think seeds are necessarily a big deal taking back to CA, they sell them in certain airports even.  They are looking more for pests, fruit, or blacklisted/invasive species I think.

For mango, the USDA's concern is actually the seeds and not the plant because it could harbor a certain borer type of insect. I forgot what that was, it was a long time ago when I applied for a permit to import tropical plants.
Thera

SDPirate

• Chula Vista, Zone 10B Coast/Inland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 08:32:39 PM »
I totally understand a situation like that.  I would assume the ones I saw in airport are pre-screened or something, of course these weren't mango seeds that I saw there though.  Even when crossing land borders into CA they just ask if carrying fruit from other states outside of Cali at USDA checkpoints and that's about it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk