Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Buy, Sell & Trade

Wanted: Mango and/or avocado rootstock

(1/2) > >>

dongeorgio:
Does anyone know a good source in South Florida for mango and/or avocado rootstock?  In my attempts to master grafting, I need practice which requires more mango and avocado rootstock than I have access to and none of the usual suspect nurseries sell small, not grafted plants for rootstock.  I am looking to get a dozen or so of each.

fyliu:
If you have patience you can grow your own and graft in 6 months to a year. Just eat fruit and plant the seeds. Be sure to take the seed out of the shell in the case of mango.

Patrick:
Another good thing to do is practice scion cuts, thats a real important part of grafting.  And remember, a cleft grafted mango will take about a year to look anything near a three gallon.. I try to save the rootstock for mangoes that arent readibly available in 3 gallon size.  To me a seven gallon tree is worth a lot more than the market price, unfortunately "common" people see it differently.  When you actually graft a mango and grow it to seven gallon size you truly can see the amount of effort and time involved to create such a tree.  I would guesstimate that a seven gallon mango tree grown on small scale (1-20) would cost someone more than $150 when you factor in the seedling nurishment (water, fert, space, time) followed by grafting time (scion collection, grafting materials, time) followed by aftercare (materials, time, stress of watching, failures), followed by stepping up to next size (soil, pot, fertilizing, watering, space..., TIME), followed by stepping up again (if the tree makes it this far) plus.. (soil, pot, fertilizing, watering, space, Time...) And if all goes well in about two years you will have a tree suitable to be considered a seven gallon tree worth about $60 in todays market, a market where the "common" person will feel they are being ripped off for a plant in a pot.

dongeorgio:
Patrick,

I couldn't agree with you more.  The problem is that I am looking to make numerous cocktail trees and was told that my best chances were to do that on very young (6 months or less) plants.  In your opinion, can a 7 gallon mango tree make a good base for a cocktail tree?

Patrick:

--- Quote from: dongeorgio on April 12, 2013, 09:29:25 AM ---Patrick,

I couldn't agree with you more.  The problem is that I am looking to make numerous cocktail trees and was told that my best chances were to do that on very young (6 months or less) plants.  In your opinion, can a 7 gallon mango tree make a good base for a cocktail tree?

--- End quote ---

Actually I think that cocktail trees will work better on in established in ground trees that would be 15-25gal or larger.. Smaller trees have the ability to allow larger trees to take over the rootstock and drown out the other scions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version