Author Topic: last purchase  (Read 6185 times)

phucvu

• View Profile
last purchase
« on: January 19, 2012, 04:06:48 PM »

jaboticaba by oc gardener, on Flickr

jaboticaba from ebay last attempt to grow this fruit.  arrived kind of dry and smaller than expected, but whatever.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: last purchase
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »
They are supposed to be pretty hardy trees when it comes to transplant.  I have seen trees that were uprooted in a hurricane and left to die grow sideways.  Gene Joyner here in WPB Florida has one that if were upright would stand about thirty feet tall! It holds the record for the continent I believe.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 07:36:46 PM »
Yes, indeed. They can be very tough, but they seem to have two weak points: drought and overfertilization. Being that you're in socal, you're going to want to keep it artificially irrigated probably for its entire life. My biggest jaboticaba is roughly 25 years old and heavily mulched. Yet, it shows signs of drought stress if we go without water for 2 weeks or more.

Also, if you fertilize the jabo, you'd want to be super careful not to overdue it. My experience is that they are very sensitive to fertilizer.

Jeff

Jeff  :-)

Mfajar

• Miami, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 08:40:01 PM »
Hi there! Nice purchase, I tried one jaboticaba right off the tree and fell in love with the fruit and the tree.  Last year I bought 3, after reading a bit, I placed the container inside a water bucket, one of the buckets broke I forgot to water for about a week and she was a goner. The other two seem to love this bucket. I wonder if others have experience with how to water them. I will transplant mine inground this spring.

phucvu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 08:49:02 PM »
i purchased a smaller one a few months back and it died within a week.  the lady at scala said i over watered it, but now thinking back, it was kind of not true since i used one of the squirt bottle and sprayed to keep the soil moist like the instruction says on ebay.  this one is much larger, so hopefully i will be having no troubles.  i remember eating it as a child, so like the barbados cherry i'm gonna try and grow them.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 10:46:48 PM »
My recommendation would be to drench that baby. You want to to keep it well watered. I know there are a couple of articles floating around that indicate that jaboticaba is intolerant of flooding, but I don't agree.

Here's an excerpt from "Florida's Best Fruiting Plants":

The jaboticaba will prosper without fertilization or other care; however, it must receive an adequate supply of water. If the top 4 inches of soil are permitted to dry out, leaves begin to wilt and the tree may suffer irreversible injury. The jaboticaba thrives if it is watered 2, 3, or even 4 times a week. It survives occassional river flooding in its native habitat.

Moreover, Harry has jaboticaba trees that live in a low spot on his property and are regularly flooded during the rainy season.

The two biggest hazards to the jaboticaba are
  • Lack of water
  • Fertilizer

Give it plenty of water and a time release fertlizer (eg, osmocote), and you'll be set.

Jeff

phucvu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 10:57:37 PM »
thanks.

what about sunlight?  i'm planning to put it in the ground in april or so if it's still alive.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 03:44:25 AM »
I keep a saucer under my potted jabos, one of the few plants that I do this with, they love it.

-Ethan

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 11:28:46 AM »
Jaboticaba enjoys full sun. Just make sure you keep it well watered.

Jeff