Author Topic: mislabeled 'mexican cream' guava identification  (Read 1008 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
mislabeled 'mexican cream' guava identification
« on: October 02, 2021, 08:22:09 AM »
A couple years ago I bought a 'Mexican Cream' guava at a lowes or home depot store.  I noticed the fruit is pink, while Mexican Cream is supposed to be white?  Somebody mentioned in another thread that this has been very common and lots of mislabeled guavas at big box stores.

It made a lot of fruit this year, and it is pretty tasty.  I wanted a pink variety anyway... any idea what type it might be?  It looks more pear-shaped and avocado-like than the round pink guavas I see posted here often.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: mislabeled 'mexican cream' guava identification
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 09:32:24 AM »
Brian, congrats, that looks great, I like the red color.

If you want to trade a few cuttings of your guava, I have one that is also very good tasting. My guava has a label "Melon guava" from the nursery I purchased it. I haven't heard of anyone else that has this variety. It is creamy, white/yellow flesh, tastes very good with strong guava smell. Here's some photos from the past few years fruits. Send me a PM if your interested in a trade, would like to add your variety to my small collection. I also have the Mexican Cream (at least that's what my label says) guava but no fruit on the tree yet, if you want to trade for that instead.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 02:47:56 AM by sc4001992 »

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 10:26:48 AM »
Sure!  I would be happy to, however I just heavily pruned it last week so there isn't much scion to harvest now.  Might have to wait until spring.  I had same issue with that golden nugget loquat last year -  though it is finally back in full health if you're still interested in that one (PM me)

Goyo626

• USA, CA, West Covina, SZ20/21 USDA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 10:40:29 AM »
Kind of looks like ruby x supreme.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 11:49:36 AM »
Kind of looks like ruby x supreme.

That would be excellent, I bought it to replace the Ruby Supreme I had accidentally killed.  I wasn't actually looking for Mexican Cream but it was simply what was available at the time. 

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 12:06:18 PM »
it looks like a red guava.  theres no way to know what variety it is.  its probably a seedling. 
Brad Spaugh

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 12:23:40 AM »
Same thing happened to us, bought a Mexican Cream labeled Guava from Lowes or Home Depot and it had pink flesh.

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 12:47:21 AM »
I think you lucked out.  I heard for some reason the Mexican cream guava at Lowes produces sub par fruit.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 01:30:15 PM »
Brian, here's some info on the Mexican Cream guava grown by La Verne.

I just saw some plants (3.5 gallon) at Armstrong nursery here in CA so if you have an Armstrong nursery they may carry it. I picked up another plant this weekend just in case my first plant purchased last year isn't the real plant. This one I purchased even had one fruit hanging so I should know in a month or so if it is the real fruit. Shape of the fruit looks the same as the Mexican Cream so I will keep my fingers crossed...

« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 01:09:43 AM by sc4001992 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk