Author Topic: Tropicalgrower89 more Laras videos  (Read 7504 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Tropicalgrower89 more Laras videos
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:13:57 PM »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Tropicalgrower89 more Laras videos
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:42:23 PM »
Tell Julian that Rapoza mango is a cultivar from Hawaii, not Brazil, as he says in first video. I was lucky and got to meet Julian at his nursery a few years ago. Very nice guy. Speaking of nice!!--where do they get those bikini clad assistants? Is that so they don't have to worry about mango juice ruining their clothes? ;D
Oscar
Oscar

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:51:45 PM »
I thought they were from Hawaii....he got nervous from the thongs show ;D

JF

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 10:04:53 PM »
I thought they were from Hawaii....he got nervous from the thongs show ;D

JF

Is that a Miami TV show? How come we never have anyone clad like that at our fruit tasting tables?  :(
Rapoza is one of the best tasting and productive mangos in Hawaii!
Oscar
Oscar

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 10:39:52 PM »
I was looking at the girls more than the fruits...  ;D

Thanks for the videos JF!  :)
Alexi

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 12:01:12 AM »
What is the yagruma that Julian mentions in last video, and says it tastes similar to cinnamon?
Oscar
Oscar

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 05:37:31 AM »
Those are great!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 11:26:10 AM »
What is the yagruma that Julian mentions in last video, and says it tastes similar to cinnamon?
Oscar

The yagruma is a cecropia fruit. It looks like a chicken foot. I can't remember it tasting like cinnamon though.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 02:14:57 PM »
Seems all the Latin TV variety shows (or at least many of them) that are aired here in South Florida have scantily clad girls as aisstants, co-hosts, etc.  Not sure why that is.....but it makes the shows much more watchable.....which I guess is why that is.  On the Rapoza mango....I had been on the hunt for this for quite a while after  hearing some very good things about it.  I think we (Murahilin and I) ordered some buwood from Hawaii to try to graft some up here.  Budwood came in good shape, but the grafts were failures.  Jeff Hagen finally grafted one up for me.  I planted it out and its pushing bloom now.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 02:17:36 PM »
What, there were fruits in those videos?  I need to change the varieties I am growing or maybe just the people I eat fruit with.  There is nothing like random scantily clad women eating tropical fruits. :D Was that a Sarteneja custard apple they ate?  That Lancetilla could feed a family of 4 for a week.

-Ethan

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 09:27:14 PM »
For some reason, I get the feeling that none of the dudes really didn't cared about Lara's presentation ;D , Harry  most Hispanic ( I don't like the word Latin we are not from Latium) variety shows or soaps are cheap imitation of American shows so they have to get their audience to focus on something else ;)

JF
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 09:51:46 PM by JF »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 07:15:08 AM »
JF:

Having grown up in S. Florida, I have had much exposure to Hispanic culture.  I have taken more years of school Spanish than I care to mention.  I can even converse fairly easily and effectively in my areas of business where I have a fairly extensive vocabulary.  Those skills erode somewhat when I am dealing with other areas of vocabulary or with the Spanish spoken by some people....especially as folks are given to speak extremely fast or by cutting off their words without full pronounciation.  Anyway, in my experience with Spanish I most often hear Spanish speakers refer to themselves as Latino or Latinos rather than Hispano or Hispanos.....so I usually use Latin as the English equivalent of that rather than Hispanic. Am I right about this?  I am very much interested in words and how people perceive them.....so I am glad you made the point. I appreciate your thoughts on this.  Thanks! :)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
JF:

Having grown up in S. Florida, I have had much exposure to Hispanic culture.  I have taken more years of school Spanish than I care to mention.  I can even converse fairly easily and effectively in my areas of business where I have a fairly extensive vocabulary.  Those skills erode somewhat when I am dealing with other areas of vocabulary or with the Spanish spoken by some people....especially as folks are given to speak extremely fast or by cutting off their words without full pronounciation.  Anyway, in my experience with Spanish I most often hear Spanish speakers refer to themselves as Latino or Latinos rather than Hispano or Hispanos.....so I usually use Latin as the English equivalent of that rather than Hispanic. Am I right about this?  I am very much interested in words and how people perceive them.....so I am glad you made the point. I appreciate your thoughts on this.  Thanks! :)

Latino i think usually refers to people from Latin America. Whereas hispanic means anyone speaking spanish, including people from Spain.
Oscar
Oscar

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 05:42:18 PM »
Yes, Harry, I think Oscar has pinned it down.  In fact, the first time I met JF I mentioned something about Latinos in California, and he corrected me with the Hispanic word.....so......that's my dos centavos.....for what they're worth....

Me llamo Fang

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 05:43:48 PM »
oh,,, and what I meant to say to you JF - Don King????

Boy that guy gets his strange mug in the weirdest places!

MF

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 10:11:39 PM »
Hi Harry

The word Latino is widely misused by some folks in this country as well as the Spanish speaking media. Although it's true that Spanish is a Latin based language, English shares many Latin roots words with Spanish.English and other European language use the Latin alphabet, does that make them Latinos? Another poster implied that we are Latinos because of the term Latin America. Do the English,French and Portuguese speaking coutries in Latin America consider themselves Latinos? Ok that's enough, now it's time to talk about tropical fruit growing ;)

JF

MangoDog

Anywhere where there is a buck to be may you will see Don King's mug and Fro :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:14:29 PM by JF »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 12:27:46 AM »
Hi Harry

The word Latino is widely misused by some folks in this country as well as the Spanish speaking media. Although it's true that Spanish is a Latin based language, English shares many Latin roots words with Spanish.English and other European language use the Latin alphabet, does that make them Latinos? Another poster implied that we are Latinos because of the term Latin America. Do the English,French and Portuguese speaking coutries in Latin America consider themselves Latinos? Ok that's enough, now it's time to talk about tropical fruit growing ;)

JF

MangoDog

Anywhere where there is a buck to be may you will see Don King's mug and Fro :)

English has Dutch-Flemish roots, and very few of the words in english have latin roots. Latin is much easier to learn for a Spanish speaking person because so very many of the words are similar. Had latin in school, so i remember that. BTW, most of latin america is spanish speaking. The biggest exception is Brazil, speaking Portuguese, a language that is incredibly similar to spanish.  I can understand 85% of written portuguese, just because i know spanish.The only other countries not speaking spanish in latin america are very small countries in northenmost S. America: the Guyanas, only one of which has english as official language.
Oscar
Oscar

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 03:04:38 PM »
Oscar, I disagree.
English has a significant number of words derived from Latin/Romance languages (and Greek).

Check the reference below.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_influence_in_English>
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk