Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620577 times)

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1650 on: July 14, 2021, 02:14:30 PM »
Hi Everyone,

My name's Mason and I'm a long time lurker on this forum.  Finally decided to join.  I'm in Southern California zone 10 and I grow:

- White Sapote,
- multigrafted mango tree,
- multigrafted avocado tree,
- jackfruit seedling trees,
- various bananas,
- various Pitanga seedlings,
- multigrafted citrus tree,
- multigrafted cherimoya tree,
- persimmons,
- Pakistan Mulberry and more...

I've learned a lot on this forum.  Looking forward to learning more...

Miles

• USA, FL, Deltona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: July 21, 2021, 02:31:32 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Miles. I've lived in Deltona, Florida (9b) for the last 12 years or so of my life. I've always enjoyed fruit - when I was young, between 3 and 7, I would forage with my Oma and Opa for various berries, eat roadside apples, and flushes of mushrooms.

I kind of lost my way but through the disease recovery process, and most specifically utilizing cannabis, I got a munchie-like appetite for information. At first it was natural supplements, then exercise, natural supplements turned into food sources, and now I collect fruit trees. In my collection so far I've got a few different kinds of bananas and jaboticabas, a few Garcinias, pineapples, biriba, mulberries, citrus, papayas, some Eugenias, lychee, longan, avocado. I've really taken to seed sprouting, currently cultivating guavas, cacaos, jaboticabas, star apple/milk fruit, and some Garcinias from seed.

Really enjoying lurking through this community so far!

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: July 22, 2021, 01:23:52 PM »
Hello, not new just been gone for a few years. I lost all my trees in hurricane Irma in 2017 and haven't had the will to replant. I recently moved to Hawaii and am planning on starting my fruit tree collecting again.

jpah974

• Reunion Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: July 25, 2021, 03:59:05 AM »
Hello,
hoping everyone is well.
I am Pascal,
from a tiny tropical island (Reunion Island) in the Indian Ocean.
Looking for 3 specific seeds from South America (guarana, camu camu and yahuacusca) and a from Australia (kakadu plum) in exchange of tropical seeds.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: July 25, 2021, 04:50:43 AM »
Hello,
hoping everyone is well.
I am Pascal,
from a tiny tropical island (Reunion Island) in the Indian Ocean.
Looking for 3 specific seeds from South America (guarana, camu camu and yahuacusca) and a from Australia (kakadu plum) in exchange of tropical seeds.

Welcome to the Forum, Pascal. As I am sure you are well aware, many interesting tropical fruits grow on Reunion. A couple of years ago, I bought a book about Reunion's fruits: Tropical Fruits: The Compendium by Fabrice Le Bellec and Valérie Renard. I had not thought of Reunion in conjunction with tropical fruit cultivation until I came across that title.

You should put this request on the Tropical Fruit Buy, Sell & Trade board where it is more likely to be read and replied to. I know that one grower has offered camu camu seeds relatively recently. He may or may not still have some available, and I have no idea whether he ships internationally.

Korymanx

• Borikén aka Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: July 29, 2021, 12:46:08 PM »
Hello. Bueno día.

Born and raised in Texas, just moved away about a year ago to my dream life here in Borikén also known as Puerto Rico.

I am so glad I found this place. I am here to learn, share information and buy/trade/barter.

I am currently growing a ton of tropical fruits and vegetables. I soon will make a list of it all and share to see if anyone is interested. I do a have several rare species that I would like to spread too.

Many blessings!
Located in Borikén, unplugged from the system.

gardenhoe

• Mount Orab OH zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: August 03, 2021, 11:27:23 AM »
hello
southern ohio gardener zone 6. in process of setting up grow room in basement along with small lean to greenhouse. Have cherimoya, sugar apple, black sapote, miracle berry plant, ice cream bean, kumquats, grapefruit, blood oranges, key lime and meyer lemon and banana plant. I also overwinter all my pepper plants as well as figs and persimmons that, while not strictly speaking tropical, are outside my zone.

LuvFig

• USA, CA/SoCal, Los Angeles, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: August 07, 2021, 02:05:00 PM »
Greetings!

My name is Grace and is from Southern California, zone 10B.  I have limited experiences in gardening, and only get into this hobby for the last two years.  Currently, I have the following in the ground:
- Cara Cara Orange
- Maha Chankook Mango
- Sharwil Avocado
- Fuyu Persimmon
- Pakinstani Mulberry (to be planted)
- Geffner Atemoya (to be planted)
- Lemon Gold White Sapote (to be planted)

In Containers:
- All sort of figs
- Achacha
- Black Surinam Cherry
- Utah Sweet Pomegranate
- Goji Berry
- A few mango seedlings

and a couple raised beds to grow veggies

I learned a lot from this forum, and thank you for everyone's contribution and sharing of expertise.

Anyone know how to get help with using the email function on this forum?  I sent a few emails out by clicking on the email icon of a member, finish composing and click sent.  However, I never got any replies back and was able to confirm with at least 1 member outside of the forum that no email was received.  The "sent" emails did not show up under my sent folder either.  Very strange.  Appreciate if someone can help me to resolve this. 

Adam8aTexas

• LMK if you have myrtaceae available
    • McKinney, Texas Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: August 27, 2021, 05:39:19 AM »
Hello everyone, I’m Adam, and I’m a senior in high school. I first started getting into plants in the 8th grade, when I realized just how much more there was to the world than just apples and pears. At first, I experimented with tamarillos, and now have a nearly 3 year old flowering tamarillo indoors. As of now I am specializing in eugenias.

Right now I have :
Eugenia Selloi

Eugenia Repanda

Eugenia Itaguahiensis

Eugenia Stipitata

I am planning on getting more eugenias in the future, specifically more obscure species in the genus, like hirsta, squamiflora, etc etc… the list goes on   :o

Best Regards,
Adam
Plant nerd in his teens that enjoys finding new species to add to their collection

albert84

• france
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: August 31, 2021, 09:07:21 AM »
hello,

I am french, so excuse for my english which is not very good. I am interested with cherimoya and so I am on your forum to talk with people in california who grow cherimoya (the weather in may area, mediteranean south-east of france is close to some californian weather I think)

Nuraxi

• Italy,Sardinia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: October 12, 2021, 10:19:50 AM »
Hello everyone,
my name is Luigi, I am 45 years old, I live in the South of Sardinia (Italy), in the family we grow some fruit trees, for some years I have been delighting with some tropical fruit, some born from seed, others bought grafted, most of them I'm experimenting with in the ground, for now .. I have had success with papayas born from Vietnamese seeds, from which I have collected some fruits, and in a while I collect a clone of similar Orinoco and Kent mango, my intention was to create a mini foodforest, we will see in the future what I can do, I have been reading this forum for some time, and it has been useful to me in many occasions, I am here to learn, today I decided to subscribe, Thanks…
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 05:08:10 AM by Nuraxi »
There is always a good reason to plant a tree.

BlakeGrowsInMA

• USA - Eastern MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: October 17, 2021, 10:01:37 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm Blake From Eastern Massachusetts.  I LOVE fruit of all types and am working on getting into tropicals to grow indoors.  I've lurked here in the past but am finally joining up.

My wife and I currently grow temperate stuff - apple, nectarine, cherry, blueberry, blackberry, grape, honeyberry, grape, arctic kiwi. 

Currently we are apartment dwellers, but eventually we'll have a greenhouse at our own place and an indoor grow area of some sort.  Hoping to grow these among others in the future -
- Multigrafted citrus, mango, avocado, mulberry
- Lychee
- Passionfruit
- Maybe banana, longan, rambutan, etc...

But I'm hoping to get us started with some Melicoccus bijugatus (quenepa, mamoncillo, genip, mamon, etc.).  I've had them in Guatemala and Yucatan MX and I am obsessed with them.  After this I'll be posting asking for advice on rootstock/cultivars of those.

Cheers!

Nandhu

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: October 18, 2021, 12:55:15 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm varma from India! I'm 26 engineering graduate and a hobby fruit plants collector in short. If anyone need any help reg Indian fruit plants or reg sharing any seeds, I will try to help. I collected around 40+ varietys both loclal and exotic. And I'm searching for few cherries and barrier or any seeds that are available to swap! Thank you.

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: October 21, 2021, 04:11:35 AM »
Hello my name is Richard,

I currently grow different varieties of longans, lychees, guavas, atemoyas, avocados, pommelos, mangos, etc. I will ocassionally dabble with very unusual tropical fruits/veggies.  My latest interest and focus are with mangos.

I used to be on a Gardenweb tropical fruit forum about 10 years ago and went by the same handle.  The last decade I been busy with my career.  I am trying to settle into a slower pace and trying to get back into tending a garden and tropical fruit trees.

Thanks!

QBcooler

• South of France - Narbonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: October 31, 2021, 05:31:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

Newly arrived and really happy too!

To make it short, i am French, leaving in South of France, starting a nursery this winter After being a Maître D'/Bar manager of high end venues around Europe !!!

Loving nature and great fruits, i am aiming on promoting Mediteranean fruits around me...

Nursery is very ecological, ni chemical are used, reusing plastic pots, reducing use of water.... Blablabla i am getting boring !

Tropicale fruits are the futur !!!!

dorian

• Miami, Florida, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: November 24, 2021, 05:24:55 PM »
Hello I'm Dorian, living in Miami, FL. Currently growing (or trying rather, mostly not that successfully) Meyer Lemon, Papaya, Avocado, Figs, Dragon Fruit, Passion Fruit.

I came to the forum as I am looking to "fix" my avocado tree. Initially it was a Hass, the grafted shoot died off, but there were two surviving water shoots. I kept one (roots are now 4+ years old) and I successfully top worked it with Catalina. I am now looking for companion Type B to graft onto it as well, looking for Monroe, Sharwil, Nishikawa or Kahaluu scionwood.

Looking forward to picking up some knowledge.

DFfarmer

• USA, Valley Center, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: November 26, 2021, 04:51:09 PM »
Thanks to those who set up the forum.   

Hi, I am a small certified Organic farmer in Valley Center, CA. Main crops are Avocados, Blueberries and Dragon Fruit. We didn't intend to have the dragon fruit take over but I think they may have surpassed the avocados now, which is what was here when we came about ten years ago.  We also grow a variety of other  tropical fruit, the Guavas seem to be doing much better than the stone fruit and apples, which are not tropical but have been grown in this area for many generations, I cannot figure that one out, but climate change is not helping lol. The gophers are teaching us that maybe container farming is the option that will work best when they are active, too many fig trees taken out the last few years! They even took out a mango seedling this year!

Hope to continue to learn from others and improve our practice, as well as finding the very best quality and flavorful fruit to grow for the food supply. Would be fun to have more friends to trade and share with as well! ;)

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: November 29, 2021, 05:48:59 PM »
Thanks to those who set up the forum.   

Hi, I am a small certified Organic farmer in Valley Center, CA. Main crops are Avocados, Blueberries and Dragon Fruit. We didn't intend to have the dragon fruit take over but I think they may have surpassed the avocados now, which is what was here when we came about ten years ago.  We also grow a variety of other  tropical fruit, the Guavas seem to be doing much better than the stone fruit and apples, which are not tropical but have been grown in this area for many generations, I cannot figure that one out, but climate change is not helping lol. The gophers are teaching us that maybe container farming is the option that will work best when they are active, too many fig trees taken out the last few years! They even took out a mango seedling this year!

Hope to continue to learn from others and improve our practice, as well as finding the very best quality and flavorful fruit to grow for the food supply. Would be fun to have more friends to trade and share with as well! ;)

There have been several threads on the Forum over the years about gophers and techniques for protecting fruit trees against them. You will probably be able to find some very useful advice.

Mikhail2400

• GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: December 31, 2021, 05:18:38 PM »
Hello Im Mike and im from a small town in southeast GA and im a retired pipefitter/welder. I have two grown sons, the oldest is in the Air Force stationed in Alaska and will soon be headed to Africa. The youngest works at a local plant and has given me a very beautiful granddaughter who is 3 years old and can be mean as a cottonmouth or sweet as an angel depending on some emotional barometer which im unable to fathom. Oh well I never understood grown women so its no surprise im no better with the younger ones either.
I guess your tired of hearing about my beautiful granddaughter and your probably thinking mine doesnt hold a candle to how beautiful yours is but you would be wrong, mines the tops.

Have a great new year, Mike

Funguy10a

• Orange, Orange County, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: January 05, 2022, 01:05:19 PM »
My name is Anthony, in city of Orange, CA, zone 10a.     I started growing fruit 8/2019 while redoing our backyard.  Most of my plants are young and I've only tasted a few fruits that I've grown, but it's been rewarding.  My thumb's getting greener.    My hand pollination rate for Cherimoya and Dragon fruit is 100% (1 for 1 for each... LOL). 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 07:48:04 AM by Funguy10a »

jamesy

• USA
    • View Profile
    • Dietary Habit
« Reply #1670 on: January 18, 2022, 04:51:38 AM »
Hi everyone

California coconut grower

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: January 25, 2022, 05:09:13 PM »
Hello everyone!

I enjoy growing and eating many different fruits, my favorites to grow are Coconuts(not to eat, just fun to grow them)Bananas, and pineapples(just started, no fruits yet) I am very happy to be part of this awesome forum!

DJSpurr

• USA, California, Oakland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: January 25, 2022, 10:02:37 PM »
Hi, I’m Doug.  I’ve been interested in growing and eating tropical fruit since I was a kid.  I’m from Northern California and live in Oakland, but I’ve spent 11 years in NYC where in the summer there were always people hawking mangoes, guanabanas, etc., from the backs of vans.  Both of my parents were botanists and they had grown up in Southern California. I’ve also traveled in a fair number of tropical countries and enjoyed eating fruit I encountered along the way.

Living in the Bay Area I have a generally mild climate, but little summer heat.  In fact, last July (2021) was the coldest July ever recorded in Oakland while the rest of the country, including inland California baked in serious heat waves.  So the climate affords me a lot of latitude with plants, but the one mango I have in the ground here keeps staring at me and asking, “What were you thinking?”

So, I’m very happy to have been introduced to this forum!  I’m reaching a career point where I’ll have (hopefully) more time to up my game in terms of plant care and it looks like a good place to share and gain information. 

WildForest

• Luke C
    • Eastern Australia, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: February 02, 2022, 07:09:57 PM »
Hi everyone :D My name's Luke. I recently bought a 100 acre farm in eastern Australia with red volcanic soil that I am going to plant out with rainforest and tropical fruit trees. The min temp is about 5C or 41F (zone 11a). I'm mainly interested in growing garcinias, plinias, annonas, mangoes, lychee, macadamia, abiu and white sapote. I also grow local rainforest timber trees including red cedar, teak, blue quandong, silky oak and deep yellowwood.

tastywaves28

• US, FL, Bonita Springs, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: February 10, 2022, 11:32:32 AM »
Hi everyone,
Horticulturist living in Bonita Springs (SWF) Florida zone 10a.
I enjoy collecting and propagating tropicals I find in my area or Miami.
Very interested in permaculture and agroforestry. Would like to slowly get down to South America (Colombia) and start some projects there. Santa Marta or Cali seem to be at the best elevation for fruit projects.