Author Topic: Help with Passiflora nitida growing conditions, please!  (Read 2003 times)

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Help with Passiflora nitida growing conditions, please!
« on: December 22, 2016, 02:20:18 PM »
I have a couple of small (6") P. nitida plants that I've grown from seed and I"m concerned that they don't appear to be doing well in the ground.  I'm foliar feeding regularly and have them mulched and regularly watered, but it looks like they are becoming chlorotic.  I really don't want to lose them - they were a pain to germinate.  I have P. edulis (purple and yellow) and P. laurifolia growing with no problems, but P. nitida doesn't seem to like me.  Does this plant require something special? Does anyone have any suggestions?

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Passiflora nitida growing conditions, please!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 03:33:58 PM »
I have 2 small  P. nitida plants (4" - 5 ") that were seeds grown in FOXFARM Ocean Forest Potting Mix. They seem to
be doing well and I haven't added anything as the mix has plenty of nutrients.
Michael

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 05:00:07 PM »
I have one in the ground. Was slow to get started, but has recently taken off (over 10 feet). I thought something was wrong with it for a while, seems very good now. Looking forward to some fruits soon

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 06:36:43 PM »
I have 2 small  P. nitida plants (4" - 5 ") that were seeds grown in FOXFARM Ocean Forest Potting Mix. They seem to
be doing well and I haven't added anything as the mix has plenty of nutrients.

I did the same. Transferred to some half gallon pots and they seem to be establishing well... definitely slower to start compared to other passiflora

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 08:46:27 PM »
...and I'm using FF also, Ocean Forest soil, mixed with good ole dirt and lots of mulch. Used fertilizer after about 6 months or so. Probably the slowest grower of all my passiflora (nitida, edulis, orgiant, laurifolia, panama red, gold, foetida hispida, possum purple, incarnata, etc.). Seems to like lots of water

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 09:06:35 PM »
They do start out slow, i have mine in FF ocean forest as well mixed with Happy Frog soil and they still are growing slow, a couple struggled and died while others look fine so maybe its the quality of the seeds. If anything add worming casting and bat guano, usually does the trick. I like using a little budswell bat guano worm casting liquid tea mixed with water for small delicate seedlings, it has saved a few of mine.

A picture of your plants may help identify the problem correctly.