Everything Else > Tropical Vegetables and Other Edibles

Torch Ginger

(1/3) > >>

LivingParadise:
Torch ginger (Etlingera elatior) is delicious, and I have found the leaves to be edible while you're waiting for the flowers. But, it seems to need more water than my area has in the dry season. Mine died down, even with occasional watering. They were really happy in the rainy season though. Hoping they come back!

Anyone growing? The flowers are beautiful, and used as a vegetable in Mayalsian and other SE Asian cooking.

Note: they are apparently prone to potassium deficiency, so a little supplementation with bananas, coconut water, etc. would be beneficial...

Chandramohan:
I have four colors, Pink, Red, Rose and White.

LivingParadise:

--- Quote from: Chandramohan on March 27, 2017, 10:42:29 AM ---I have four colors, Pink, Red, Rose and White.

--- End quote ---

Wow, I am so jealous! That's awesome! Is there a distinct difference in flavor between each color?

stuartdaly88:
Never knew these were edible? Is it a condiment like root ginger or completely different?

Chandramohan:
It seems there is. The Indonesian friend who gave me the Red and Rose, told me that the Red one is the best flavour vise. But in Malaysia they use only the pink ones. I have not tried the others as only the Pink one has been flowering and the Rose one has just started. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version