Author Topic: Sweetest pineapple?  (Read 29925 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Sweetest pineapple?
« Reply #125 on: July 04, 2017, 01:05:00 AM »
I just picked up this Del Monte Gold Pineapple and it was incredibly sweet and flavorful with a Brix of 18% on the bottom. I can't imagine what the Brix would be if it were picked fully yellow. This fruit was relatively low acid and is one of the best tasting store bought Pineapples I've ever tasted. I'm going to pick up several more of these.

Simon

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 04, 2017, 02:29:14 AM »
Hi, Simon,

Is that from costco?

-FruitFool

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 04, 2017, 10:55:37 AM »
I just picked up this Del Monte Gold Pineapple and it was incredibly sweet and flavorful with a Brix of 18% on the bottom. I can't imagine what the Brix would be if it were picked fully yellow. This fruit was relatively low acid and is one of the best tasting store bought Pineapples I've ever tasted. I'm going to pick up several more of these.

Simon

Out of all the store bought pineapples  Del Monte Gold Pineapple is my Favorite and its the first type of
Pineapple i ever Grew before getting into all the newer pineapple Varieties and its real easy to grow
i still have a few plants that have fruit on them just waiting on them to turn ripe the slips growing under
the pineapple are so huge you cant even see the pineapple but its there lol
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 04, 2017, 12:45:31 PM »
Hi, Simon,

Is that from costco?

-FruitFool

Nope, this particular fruit is from HMart in Mira Mesa. I did visit Costco in Carmel Mountain and they also have Del Monte Gold mixed in with another variety. The eyes were slightly more yellow and the yellow was higher up the fruit at HMart.

Jimmy, these fruit are excellent. I ate the entire core because it was so sweet but there is quite a lot of fiber in there. If I can't find Josapine, I'll probably use these to cross with White Jade or White Sugarloaf.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 04, 2017, 02:11:47 PM »
Hi, Simon,

Is that from costco?

-FruitFool

Nope, this particular fruit is from HMart in Mira Mesa. I did visit Costco in Carmel Mountain and they also have Del Monte Gold mixed in with another variety. The eyes were slightly more yellow and the yellow was higher up the fruit at HMart.

Jimmy, these fruit are excellent. I ate the entire core because it was so sweet but there is quite a lot of fiber in there. If I can't find Josapine, I'll probably use these to cross with White Jade or White Sugarloaf.

Simon

Yeah that would be your best bet to just use what you have at the time or are able to get cause its going to take years of cross breeding before you will get the pineapple your looking to Create turns out good
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

MarktLee

• USA, California, Chula Vista Z24
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2022, 12:30:29 AM »
Finally got to taste Frankies "Meli Kalima" pineapple. It's as good as everyone says. Very sweet near the core and then at the skin tastes like a regular pine apple. It would be nice to be able to grow these. This one was a bit too ripe at one spot, but the rest was very good.

bryan

• Deltona, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2022, 09:53:49 PM »
I have to agree with others. My homegrown sugarloaf, picked at the right time was almost too sweet, like pineapple candy.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2022, 01:08:17 AM »
I attempted to check the brix on Del Monte Honeyglow that I cut yesterday. I don't know what pieces are top or bottom and they've been in the fridge since yesterday, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I also used a hydrometer for aquariums, so I don't think I have the right scale. Can anyone interpret this picture? It's very very good pineapple in my opinion.

FloridaGrower69

• Propagation of Interesting Pineapple
    • East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 09, 2022, 06:09:09 PM »
Going back to the beginning of the post, … sweetest pineapple from my collection would be Cheesepine. Great balance of sweet/low acidity.  In sebastian florida, the hawaiian whites are slower to fruit and produce a lot of slips.  They tend to ‘stack’ … grow very tall w/out pushing fruit. I’m waiting for the Antigua Black to fruit. I’ll try to remember to post a brix read on it when it does.  Also, the coconut tasting pineapple here in US was an unintentional cross … those fruit are available roadside here every summer. Some have a hint of vanilla/some definite coconut. Posting the video. Very sweet MD2 hybrid.  I have been planting the crowns of the strong coconut fruits for a few years now. One of the best tasting pineapple - and easy to grow.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4J_kix8Lsms

FloridaGrower69

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 09, 2022, 09:08:21 PM »
And I thought I remembered this from a way back:  28 Brix. That’s incredible.

https://jademoonphotography.com/blogs/news/93079105-frankie-and-his-pineapple

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 10, 2022, 10:05:50 AM »
And I thought I remembered this from a way back:  28 Brix. That’s incredible.

https://jademoonphotography.com/blogs/news/93079105-frankie-and-his-pineapple
Loved your video, Mark.  Do you think there's any way you could get this particular Hawaiian variety to Florida?
John

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2022, 12:12:13 PM »
Not unless you could get one of his employees to steal and ship out a slip for you. He sells them
Without the tops and he has a patent on this variety.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2022, 02:22:38 PM »
Not unless you could get one of his employees to steal and ship out a slip for you. He sells them
Without the tops and he has a patent on this variety.
Oh man! :(  He said Dole wasn't interested.  Maybe he'd let Mark and his Nature Farms grow it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 02:26:54 PM by johnb51 »
John

FloridaGrower69

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2022, 08:05:46 PM »
I wonder when his patent runs out … if he’d start selling plants off island. Lol.  Fairly confident that would be a ‘Nope.’

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 10, 2022, 08:25:04 PM »
I wonder when his patent runs out … if he’d start selling plants off island. Lol.  Fairly confident that would be a ‘Nope.’
Anyway, you should contact him.  You never know!  You could be the exclusive Florida grower.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 08:28:09 PM by johnb51 »
John

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 10, 2022, 08:25:27 PM »
Has anyone looked into how often you get for close to the parent when growing from seed?