Author Topic: Birthday Present Ideas for my Tropical Dad  (Read 5460 times)

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
Birthday Present Ideas for my Tropical Dad
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:05:29 PM »
Hey everybody,

So my Dad, who recently bought a house in St. Petersburg, FL, (zone 10a?), is having a birthday later this month. Good news:

1) he loves fruits (when I was visiting last I helped him plant a pickering mango and a murcot tangerine). Now he's stoked and is talking about ripping out some scraggly oaks to make room for more mangoes, citrus, etc. He grew up in South Florida and had a few huge Haden trees that he loved.

2) he lives close enough to Jene's Tropicals (www.tropicalfruit.com) that I could order something from them for delivery.

So here's my question, what would y'all recommend that would be dwarf/semi dwarf and would either be a mango or something more exotic. Must be available from Jene's or someplace similar nearby, and must be tasty!

He already has two big avocados, a great old white grapefruit, a pickering mango, a murcott tangerine, and another orange tree.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Present Ideas for my Tropical Dad
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:52:33 PM »
While St. Pete is technically 10a, I would not discount the fact it is very close to being 9b.

As to what type of plant, well, that is tough.  What may be tasty to one may not be to another.  To me, and assuming he is proactive in the care of the plants, I would look into jakfruit, lychee, atemoya or possibly another variety of mango.
- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 10:52:49 PM »
A Minneola tangelo might be good; they have a nice rich taste and lots of juice.  (unless his other orange tree is actually this)

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 11:16:03 PM »
Get him a Persimmon tree!  :)

You can get them here:

http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/Persimmons.htm

Adiel
Adiel

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 11:24:49 PM »
Dragonfruit
Sapodilla
Starfruit
Mangosteen
Jaboticaba
Banana

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 12:14:19 AM »
2 different kinds of bananas. Get  that banana patch going ASAP! Plus they give a tropical look to a place. Can even plant out front. Plantains if he likes them, cooked of course.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 12:27:01 AM »
2 different kinds of bananas. Get  that banana patch going ASAP! Plus they give a tropical look to a place. Can even plant out front. Plantains if he likes them, cooked of course.

Think about what fruits your dad likes to eat the most, then get him one of those.
Oscar
Oscar

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 02:04:36 AM »
Lots of stuff you could get,  many good ones mentioned, for example the bananas could be varieties you do not find in a store like manzano,   the Dragon fruit will fit easy in any yard, Miracle fruit is bush like, and another mango like Nam Doc Mai, , Lemon Zest, or Coconut cream.  put in a few Papaya trees.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 06:39:41 AM »
jaboticaba is very exotic, great tasting, fruits a few times a year, fruits directly on the trunk , is very ornamental, and doesnt get much more than 1o feet and jenes sells them.

plus every garden must have mauritius lychee. jenes sells that too.

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 07:38:36 AM »
Hey thanks for the great ideas, everybody. I'm now leaning toward jaboticaba or an exotic banana - does anyone have a good banana variety recommendation?

I'm gonna call Jene's in a bit, and get the ball rolling.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 09:25:54 AM »
Pisang raja is a nice one, among the "older" varieties.   "PISANG RAJA - A wonderful Indian variety with a yellow-orange flesh and sweet delectable flavor. Once you have tasted this baby you're hooked on this 14 ft. delicacy. Firm and delectable with an unforgettable taste."  (quoted from Going Bananas web site)

Goldfinger very good too.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 09:44:15 AM »
Hey thanks for the great ideas, everybody. I'm now leaning toward jaboticaba or an exotic banana - does anyone have a good banana variety recommendation?

I'm gonna call Jene's in a bit, and get the ball rolling.
Ice Cream, Raja Puri and many other bananas would work with the cooler temps (red bananas are really good taste-wise and very different).  Contact going Bananas http://www.going-bananas.com/ to see what would work best in the area.

Me personally, would be hesitant with jaboticaba unless you know your dad will like them.  While many love the fruit, it is not a fruit that I have found that is loved by the majority.  They will also require AA LOT or water to grow and fruit to they maximum capabilities and be the most healthy.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 03:28:57 PM »
Hey everybody,

So my Dad, who recently bought a house in St. Petersburg, FL, (zone 10a?), is having a birthday later this month. Good news:

1) he loves fruits (when I was visiting last I helped him plant a pickering mango and a murcot tangerine). Now he's stoked and is talking about ripping out some scraggly oaks to make room for more mangoes, citrus, etc. He grew up in South Florida and had a few huge Haden trees that he loved.

2) he lives close enough to Jene's Tropicals (www.tropicalfruit.com) that I could order something from them for delivery.

So here's my question, what would y'all recommend that would be dwarf/semi dwarf and would either be a mango or something more exotic. Must be available from Jene's or someplace similar nearby, and must be tasty!

He already has two big avocados, a great old white grapefruit, a pickering mango, a murcott tangerine, and another orange tree.

HAHAHA!

YOU will most likely overlook the Red jaboticaba, hybrid variety...It is hands down the best semi dwarf tree you can plant in FL.  (most parts at least!  ;))

Contact me if you want details!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 11:00:36 PM »
Hey everybody,

HAHAHA!

YOU will most likely overlook the Red jaboticaba, hybrid variety...It is hands down the best semi dwarf tree you can plant in FL.  (most parts at least!  ;))

Contact me if you want details!
your opinion, which when comes to things such as food and more specifically tropical fruit, is very subjective.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk