Author Topic: Growing Artocarpus Hirsutus  (Read 16298 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Artocarpus Hirsutus
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2020, 05:09:20 AM »
Ben on reflection you are correct and I got a little carried away there. There are a respectable fruit and not everything is a pomological pageant.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2022, 06:03:47 AM »
How is the quality of fruit vipin? This wild jack was planted around 5 year ago on a friends land in HI, still no fruit

Ben, tell your friend to cut this tree dramatically at about 5-6 feet, than you get well branched bushy tree, like I have done in pictures below.  He doesn't  want tall ornamental timber tree I assume ?  :) Mine fruits on a very tip of outside thin branches. You cannot climb the tree to pick up fruits.

Also, this is very fast growing tree, Something is wrong with your friend's tree's vigour.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2022, 06:51:34 PM »
That’s a nice looking tree you have there. Did you get to try the fruit yet? Thoughts?

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2022, 01:52:43 AM »
That’s a nice looking tree you have there. Did you get to try the fruit yet? Thoughts?

Wasn't here to try last year, but got first one few days ago. Apparently they are very variable according to Indian friends. I got seeds from vipin, superior strain. The fruit itself is indeed very nice flavor. Taste like mango and jackfruit fusion with apricot flavor. But I'm inclined towards practical side, and overall disappointed judging by other points. Fruit is very small, competently filled with seeds and thin flesh. There is almost nothing to eat. I could not reach any fruit by hand. Even after climbing to the very top to pick this one, branches get dangerously thin to go any further to reach by hand.  All fruits hanging closer to the top at the end of thin branches. Marang is far superior overall. With tree shape training you can pick couple dozen 8 times bigger fruits just few feet above the ground.

But apparantly they are magnificent forest trees, so planted few seeds in the forest to next to other real very tall "wild jackfruit" trees :)

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2022, 04:40:34 AM »
Hi Rytis,

Just wait for few more years, fruit size will increase. Fruits in the mother tree weigh around 3/4kg. Thickness of flesh in arils vary from tree to tree. Taste is also not predictable in seedlings. My seedling have lots of fruit in the lower branches that I can pluck by hand from ground. Fruit size is just ok with very few arils inside! I hope fruits will be better this year.

One more thing I want to point out is that the fruit shown the picture is not fully formed. This usually happens in younger plants and in the absence of adequate pollination.

So, my point is that don't rule out your Wild jackfruit plant, if the taste is good. Taste is not going to change that much in years; but rain during fruiting season can definitely ruin the party.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 04:49:22 AM by vipinrl »

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2022, 07:59:36 AM »
I will just add that the other big advantage of Anjili (A. hirsutus) is that it has some cold tolerance whereas tarap (marang) has none.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2022, 08:18:54 AM »
Hi Rytis,

Just wait for few more years, fruit size will increase. Fruits in the mother tree weigh around 3/4kg. Thickness of flesh in arils vary from tree to tree. Taste is also not predictable in seedlings. My seedling have lots of fruit in the lower branches that I can pluck by hand from ground. Fruit size is just ok with very few arils inside! I hope fruits will be better this year.

One more thing I want to point out is that the fruit shown the picture is not fully formed. This usually happens in younger plants and in the absence of adequate pollination.

So, my point is that don't rule out your Wild jackfruit plant, if the taste is good. Taste is not going to change that much in years; but rain during fruiting season can definitely ruin the party.

Ok, thank you for letting us know.  I do have another very big  Anjali nearby that has not fruited, so maybe cross pollination will help. All fruits are this size like in a picture. Not growing in size. Hopefully bigger fruits and closer to the ground in future :)

8ofGac

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2022, 06:15:01 PM »
Does anyone sell seeds for this variety send pm .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk