Author Topic: Best canistel variety for Florida  (Read 2046 times)

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Best canistel variety for Florida
« on: December 10, 2019, 10:45:38 AM »
Hi all,

I have room for just one more tree in my yard and I'd like to plant a canistel.  I've read that there can be a lot of variation in fruit quality, so I'm hoping I can get some recommendations for named varieties (and possibly sourcing as well) from folks out there who are currently growing canistel.  Which variety is the tastiest and grows best here? 

Regards,
Scott

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Re: Best canistel variety for Florida
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 01:29:57 PM »
Fairchild-2 or a Ross sapote

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 02:11:18 PM »
 I'd like to purchase a 3-4 fairchild2 scions in spring if anyone could supply them please let me know.

Thanks,
Brad
Brad Spaugh

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 02:17:58 PM »
The only time I tried canistel it was from a small grocery store around Kona, Hawaii.  It was excellent, I'm pretty sure it was a Bruce based on appearance and Bruce being very common.  I think Fairchild2 is elongated in comparison.

I now have a grafted Bruce planted in my greenhouse, and a Ross seedling (never tried the fruit)

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 02:49:30 PM »
Plus 1

We grow several different varieties.  After eight years of digging up and moving and waiting and waiting we finally produced our first Ross Sapote fruit.  So glad it was the first Organic Certified egg fruit I ever had.  Next year we will hopefully get more

Ross Sapote

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 02:59:49 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 03:33:47 PM »
How does trompo stack up on the list?

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 05:44:18 PM »
I have a Fairchild#2 and I like it because...

The fruits are not gimormous, and one satisfies me.
Not being ginormous the fruit does not need to be thinned to keep the branches from breaking
The tree growth habit in not huge

If anyone wants seedlings for grafting or to plant I have many free, pickup only in So. Flo. No mail, sorry
Regards,

Gary

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 06:24:47 PM »
I have two Trompo they are slow growers for me I wish I could speed them up. Even at 2 years old I let one hold a fruit and it was pretty normal, the other which hasn't flowered hasn't grown any faster. This year I let the first one hold five fruit but sortof wish I hadn't. Last year I tried Ross Sapote it was far superior, somewhat moister and had a touch of caramel flavor. I planted 3 seedlings. If you could get grafted Ross Sapote that would be my suggestion but a variety would likely give a longer season.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 07:38:45 PM »
I wanted a Ross but didn't have a easy way of getting one so I just planted a trompo and figured I'd topwork it to Ross later.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 02:25:25 AM »
Ross tastes great. I am not a big fan of Bruce for eating out of hand but it would be good for drying/processing  since it is a large fruit but very dry. Aurea is large fruited and somewhat dry but the texture was nice and fluffy with great flavor. I believe my friend has a Fairchild 1 and the flavor is really great out of hand. Decently moist and slightly fruity. I can't remember what Fairchild 2 tastes like but it is supposed to be excellent. Trompo is decent and seems to be the only one that is easy to find. I have heard Jonathan Crane speak highly of Oro but I haven't tasted it yet.

Canistel has a very aggressive taproot and gets rootbound really bad.
-Josh

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 07:41:01 AM »
I have two Trompo they are slow growers for me I wish I could speed them up. Even at 2 years old I let one hold a fruit and it was pretty normal, the other which hasn't flowered hasn't grown any faster. This year I let the first one hold five fruit but sortof wish I hadn't. Last year I tried Ross Sapote it was far superior, somewhat moister and had a touch of caramel flavor. I planted 3 seedlings. If you could get grafted Ross Sapote that would be my suggestion but a variety would likely give a longer season.
They are greedy heavy feeders and like water.  I have had explosive growth of up to 12ft. in 1 year on newly planted 3 gal.  With horse urine soaked alfalfa hay and raw horse manure as mulch around the tree at least 20” deep and daily hand watering.

Moringa based weed teas has been shown to speed up growth in plants.  I imagine if you don’t have animal urine and manure at your disposal a steady mulch of Moringa leaves and stems along with a daily dose of piss could get the same results.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 08:11:43 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 11:00:37 AM »

Have you seen this list?  https://www.growables.org/information/TropicalFruit/canistelvarieties.htm

I have Ross Sapote and Oro planted in Hawaii.  Oro not big enough to fruit yet.  Love this fruit-the Ross is quite good when allowed to get extremely ripe.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 04:34:01 PM »

Have you seen this list?  https://www.growables.org/information/TropicalFruit/canistelvarieties.htm

I have Ross Sapote and Oro planted in Hawaii.  Oro not big enough to fruit yet.  Love this fruit-the Ross is quite good when allowed to get extremely ripe.

Thanks a lot.  Yes, the list is one of the reasons I'm asking:  They list the Fairchild varieties as "not recommended" but I keep hearing really good things about them, so I'm curious what people here are growing and happy with.  I also know absolutely nothing about canistel - other than the fact that I like it a lot :-) so recommendations are definitely welcome.  Have you had Oro?  What did you think of it?

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 04:50:57 PM »

Thanks a lot.  Yes, the list is one of the reasons I'm asking:  They list the Fairchild varieties as "not recommended" but I keep hearing really good things about them, so I'm curious what people here are growing and happy with.  I also know absolutely nothing about canistel - other than the fact that I like it a lot :-) so recommendations are definitely welcome.  Have you had Oro?  What did you think of it?

I have not had it.  A friend of mine reports that it's very good though.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 08:04:50 PM »
That list says Bruce is dry but the ones I had from Mike and Steve certainly weren’t. My favourite of the few I have had would be Aurea.