Author Topic: My first season of Atemoya fruits  (Read 1244 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
My first season of Atemoya fruits
« on: March 01, 2020, 06:09:06 PM »
Here are pictures of the first fruiting from Birula.

What I thought was a Pinks Mammoth, not so sure it is.  Can anyone confirm this looks like a Pinks? Almost looks more like a Calostro image JF posted a year or two ago.  Anyway, I like the fruit and want to know what it is.

This is the AP. 

One last thing, is White an Cherimoya or atemoya?  I grafted it as interstock between Pond Apple and Atemoya and it did well.  I cut it back to prepare to graft on Atemoya and if is throwing a few flowers.  Just curious, should I take them off off or let them compete for resources with my grafts?

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
Re: My first season of Atemoya fruits
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 10:35:03 PM »
The phenotype if certain pollens can dictate the phenotype of the fruits especially if u are using a cocktail mixture.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 08:29:05 AM »
As far as I know White is a Cherimoya.
I'd take off the flowers.

As for as the ID confirmation I can't help you there.

BTW, Congrats and fruiting these guys!!!
Please let us know how they perform in SoFlo

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 09:52:16 AM »
The phenotype if certain pollens can dictate the phenotype of the fruits especially if u are using a cocktail mixture.

Mikey is absolutely correct. It depends on the pollen you are using and also if you thin the fruits that will determine the size of the fruit.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 06:54:07 PM »
Thanks Mike and Frank, the plants are still very small and I expect in a efw years, after some more development, I will get fruit size that are typical of the variety.

I mix pollen, I use whatever is available at the time, from the same plant or from other varieties flowering at the same time.  Is this mixing the prefered path or should I use polens from the same plant?

My question on the Pinks Mammoth was to address the possibility that I may have mislabelled but it looks like that will not be resolved by the pictures.  I am starting some more rootstock and may, in a year or so put in another Pinks Mammoth and compare the fruits.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 07:04:31 PM »
Will do Sayyid.
By the way, I picked up a Jabo from you last year or the year before.  I have up potted it twice now and this year it flowered for the first time.  The first flower set nothing but the second set of flowers has this tiny green fruits holding in two spots.  It looks like I will possibly try a new fruit from the yard in the next year of two from the plant.  Thanks.

Now back to my question on the White's. I thought as much since I got it as part of an experiment to see if I could use Cherimoya interstock for grafting Atemoya onto pond apple.  I will knock the flowers off on branches I graft on to but may retain one or two on other branches just to see if they set fruit with hand pollination. (I know nothing will come of them, but why not try :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk