Author Topic: Best tasting fig for SoCal?  (Read 9431 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting fig for SoCal?
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2021, 08:05:26 PM »
So if anyone can tell me which dates are my breba figs and which are the main figs that would be good.
I noticed that the fruits from July to August are all splitting/exploding as shown.  I will delete all these photos tomorrow after a few folks look at them. I haven't changed my watering schedule on this tree. Thanks.

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2021, 08:12:09 PM »
The early ones that didn't split are probably breba. The others probably main crop.

How much and how often are you watering?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2021, 08:22:41 PM »
It's hot now so I might water every 2-3 days and the fig tree might be getting watered at that time. I have many other fruit trees in pots so this in ground fig tree would be getting water when ever I water the potted trees which are surrounding the fig tree. I hand water everything so pretty well/soaked.

Ok, I could see the difference in size of the early figs and the shape seems to be different. The late figs seem to all be much more flat like a pancake. Which ones are usually the better tasting? I think the second fruits (main) seems to taste better but I wouldn't know since this is the first time I ate my figs from the tree which has been in the same spot for 15 yrs. I usually give the ripe figs to the neighbors. I have 1 black madeira fig on my new graft so I hope to compare the taste with the brown turkey.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 08:24:27 PM by sc4001992 »

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2021, 08:40:32 PM »
The brebas are on last year's wood, main crop on this year's growth.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2021, 09:30:00 PM »
You can place some seeds into a glass of water and if the seeds sink, they may be caprified. If they float, they’re likely not caprified.

Simon

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2021, 10:12:10 PM »
I'd say your tree is getting too much water. Those are huge figs indicating lots of water. And they split another indication of too much water. If you can somehow keep the water from potted trees out of the soil anywhere near the in ground tree that would be a start. Maybe saucers under the pots.

I work all summer keeping water from potted plants away from my in ground figs. If I don't they grow until forever and the fruit is no good. The inground trees need some water but not lots every 2-3 days.

I think you are right. Breba have a different shape. Watch next spring. Breba form on last years wood. Main on new wood. If there's a leaf petiole by the fig it's main crop. Breba form on bare wood from last yr no leaves.

Main crop are better if watered properly.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2021, 11:49:07 PM »
Simon, where did you get the NV1? Care to share / exchange scions? PM if interested.

BTW, the old reference fig, VdB, is out standing this year. A mouth full of berry flavor with each bite. And one of the new comers to my yard, Negra d'Agde, is working hard to overthrow this VdB current supremacy.Other top noth varieties should be ready late October, early September.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 11:54:14 PM by kh0110 »
Thera

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2021, 12:47:56 AM »
Hey Thera,

I got the NV1 from a local trade. It hasn’t grown too much but hopefully it will grow enough to take some scions this Winter. Please check back with me in dormant season.

VDB has been consistently good when grown in San Diego. Because of its excellent berry flavor and intense red coloration, it makes a great jam that can be stored and eaten in Winter when fresh figs aren’t normally available.

VDB fig jam on Tilllamook old fashioned vanilla ice cream

Simon

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2021, 01:12:13 AM »
Simon, ok I picked another fig today and took the seeds out. Here's the photo of the fig and seeds.

Do you think my figs split because it was caprified ?

« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 02:00:08 AM by sc4001992 »

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2021, 09:56:00 AM »
Hi Kaz,

I use to have issues with my figs splitting.  Amending with extra gypsum and humid acids has pretty much taken care of the problem.  The eye on the bottom of the figs stay more closed as well until the honey drop when they are close to ripening.  I have several figs and don’t see a difference in splitting between my caprified figs and common figs.

Janet

LuvFig

• USA, CA/SoCal, Los Angeles, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2021, 01:35:41 PM »
Hey Thera,

I got the NV1 from a local trade. It hasn’t grown too much but hopefully it will grow enough to take some scions this Winter. Please check back with me in dormant season.

VDB has been consistently good when grown in San Diego. Because of its excellent berry flavor and intense red coloration, it makes a great jam that can be stored and eaten in Winter when fresh figs aren’t normally available.

VDB fig jam on Tilllamook old fashioned vanilla ice cream

Simon

Hi Simon,

May I also get in line for a possible trade with NV1?  Thank again for your advice on growing mango.

All the Best,
Grace

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2021, 11:27:32 AM »
My Brown Turkey may have been cracking/exploding due to the hot summer temperatures we had a few weeks ago and last month. Now all my fruits are nice and does not split, gets fully ripe and tastes good. I did not change anything with my watering routine or any other fertilizer.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 01:04:33 PM by sc4001992 »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2021, 11:45:39 AM »
Kaz,

Your fruit very likely exploded due to over caprification. I see in your pictures that the seeds sank to the bottom which indicates that your in fig wasp territory. When the fig wasp pollinated with too much pollen it if a particular fig gets visited by multiple wasps, there is a good chance the fig will explode.

Combine over caprification with too much heat and/or water and that’s a great recipe for popped figs.

Since you have the wasp, you may want to look into acquiring Unknown Pastiliere fig which requires the fig wasp but is said to be one of the best tasting figs around.

For those wanting the NV1 fig, I only have a limited supply of material so I will probably auction whatever material I have on Figbid.com if/when I have it available.

Simon

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2021, 11:56:37 AM »
My vote goes to black mission fig. I ate a lot of them in Oroville, where the tree was located, a few years ago, there was a tree on the property. The tree was very productive.

Black Mission Fig | Fig Trees From Paradise Nursery
https://paradisenursery.com/product/black-mission-fig
Sep 15, 2013 · Black Mission Fig Tree Care and Information. The Black Mission Fig tree produces heavily from a young age. Plant the fig tree in the full sun. Trees can grow over 30 feet tall, but prune to keep as small as 10 feet tall and wide. Plant trees 10-15 feet apart in soil that drains well. How To Water, Fertilize, and Prune A Fig Tree. Water the fig tree deep but not too frequent.

Offer Count: 5
Availability: In stock
Price Range: $30 - $450
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 12:00:53 PM by zands »

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2021, 12:30:09 PM »
Just my 2c but VDB blew Mission out of the water at the SD farmers market this past weekend

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2021, 01:08:41 PM »
Simon, ok, thanks for the feedback. Yes I did purchase Unknown Pastiliere fig so that sounds good. It's a small plant so maybe next spring it may grow enough to have some fruits. I also have some Black Madeira grafted on this Brown Turkey tree, do you think it will taste better caprified or not caprified ? The new graft has 2 small figs now.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2021, 03:52:53 PM »
Unknown Pastiliere is one of my favorites, has a cherry and mixed berry jam flavor, and develops full flavor in my coastal garden.  Craven’s Craving grows and produces better than Black Madeira and Madeira Island Black.  Also growing Burgan Unknown but haven’t tried the fruit yet.

Janet

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2021, 03:56:35 PM »
Only ate Brown Turkey and Desert King.
DK is pretty good.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2021, 04:22:24 PM »
Simon, ok, thanks for the feedback. Yes I did purchase Unknown Pastiliere fig so that sounds good. It's a small plant so maybe next spring it may grow enough to have some fruits. I also have some Black Madeira grafted on this Brown Turkey tree, do you think it will taste better caprified or not caprified ? The new graft has 2 small figs now.

Black Madeira and it’s synonyms will taste good caprified and/or uncaprified. When caprified, the figs generally get larger and the interior flesh color can turn red or more red. I believe the caprification gives it more berry acidity but can decrease the level of sweetness.

Burgan Unk is very good caprified or not. When not caprified, my fruit was pale color inside with very high Brix. When caprified, it was red inside and had more berry flavor but was only mildly sweet. The caprified fruit had slightly more seed crunch and was much larger, maybe 20-30%. I don’t have the wasp around or I should say, I get very few wasps around me but I placed a few profici in my yard from a Capri fig.

Desert King is a great fig.

Simon

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2021, 01:25:36 AM »
I have some great news (at least for me). I just started collecting figs this year after reading Simon's post and suggestions for fig sellers.

After collecting maybe 40+ different varieties, I just noticed this weekend that I have a spot with many new variety seedling trees. The fig trees are over 20-40 yrs old and some are very large trees. I just checked it out and found a few very good tasting figs in the bunch. Will wait until next spring to checkout/taste all of the fig varieties. I may need to come up with some good names for the excellent tasting ones. Here's one red flesh fig I liked and so took a few photos.

Kaz, congrats on finding a good seedling fig. Do you know if it’s common? Looks like your figs are caprified. May be a good idea to give some cuttings out for people to test out.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2021, 01:35:13 AM »
Ken, not sure if it's common. I will be getting more cuttings to grow out. I might dig the plant out and move it to my place in a few weeks. There are 40-50 trees so I will check out the other trees with figs this weekend.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2021, 04:04:02 AM »
I mentioned earlier that VDB was leading the pack this year in my backyard but not any more. Negra d'Agde and St Martin are the current front runners. I'm having a hard time to decide between these two. And more to come.

Negra d'Agde - Super prolific and Wow!

St Martin
This is top notch, no hype. This is my 1st fruit and already OUTSTANDING!!!
WARNING: Taste is strictly personal!

Thera

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2021, 05:46:25 PM »
Lots of figs starting to taste good with this heat. Black manzanita, a local seedling find has been spectacular with an excellent berry flavor that has something extra, kinda like blackberry on the back of the tongue and it turned out larger and sweeter than I was thinking based off of discussions with Alastair.

Simon

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2021, 05:54:43 PM »
Is black manzanita a black madeira type? I want to add a black madeira type to my fig espalier I'm making. I only have room for one so I was thinking cravens craving but by all reports black manzanita is phenomenal.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2021, 09:58:58 PM »
Thera, I have a small rooted Negra d'Agde which had one fruit but I picked it to late so it was overripe.
Now I need to get that other one, St Martin, I like the red flesh color. This fig hobby is getting expensive real quick.