Author Topic: Cherimoya tasting /get together  (Read 20042 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya tasting /get together
« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2021, 05:33:32 PM »
I'll be there Brad. Had a conflict but it went away :)

You caught the omnimoron variant or what?  ::)  ill need to check your papers before you are allowed on the premises. 

Unfortunately I was out of town last week and wasnt able to pick them as soon as I should have.  Most of the fruit still feel hard.  I have them in a room with a heater set at 90 trying to get them soft in time.  We'll see, it does work but Im not sure if it will be enough this late.  Theres some soft ones though just not a couple of the mo ster sized ones I wanted to cut. 
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2021, 10:39:54 PM »
Hey Brad, do you have any ripe Ariana or Anar Saveh pomegranates? I’ll bring a few Parfiankas. I also juiced some sugarcanes. See everyone tomorrow!

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2021, 11:24:39 PM »
No my poms are done they were cracking and finishing weeks back.  I did try some ariana fruit this year and wasnt impressed.  Too much seed pith.

I cut a couple nice pineapples.  They could have gone a few more days but they were close.

Brad Spaugh

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2021, 12:36:54 PM »
Update with pictures?

MarktLee

• USA, California, Chula Vista Z24
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2021, 05:42:59 PM »
We had another great tasting with Brad and his wife, very generous with these tasting get togethers. Someone will post some photos. We had some Florida avocados that were "West Indian", not that great. A lot of cherimoyas, the standouts were Pierce, Fortuna, Honey Heart, a few unnamed cherimoya varieties. Also had guavas, Thai jujubes, persimmons, pomegranates, Desert King Pitahaya, Simons famous Sugar cane-calomansi drink.

Ken Bee

• San Diego County
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2021, 08:45:29 PM »
Thanks Brad for hosting another great get together.  We had lots of delicious and unusual fruit to eat as usual.  A few of us couldn't ripen the cherimoya in time, including me.  Luckily Mark brought perfectly ripen annona fruit of various varieties for us to try.  It's great catching up with everyone.  Looking forward to the next fruit tasting event.

Ken

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2021, 09:32:55 PM »
For me El bumpo stood out and the atmosphere hybrid , 'dream'?
Shane

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 04, 2021, 09:39:30 PM »
Thanks Brad for another great get together.
Had lot of fun chatting and tasting fruits.

I liked Orton, Fino, fortuna, dr. white seedling fruit and dr white.

Thanks Simon for nice sugarcane juice.

Fruitfool

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2021, 09:59:47 PM »
Im pretty sure we can put a nail in the coffin on "dream" being a cherimoya.  Definitely a atemoya. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 04, 2021, 10:22:24 PM »
Heres a couple of the PR avocados.  The long green ones were pretty good.  The more round one wasnt as good as the shiny green ones.  The one on the right was the best one, everyone agreed is was a nice fruit.  Not super oily but nice flavor.

Brad Spaugh

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2021, 10:56:46 PM »
Right one is Lolo. The harvest time in PR is February to March ( more oil)but I cant miss the oportunity . Sorry about the pico godreaux, but my willughbeias vines are choking the big avocado tree  (antracnosis ). All the pendicules are broad a sign that the fruits arent done.
Bats damage all the Príncipe Negro  (Green skin )  fruits and a "rayo " kill my Maria seedling . (Grafted ones are small )These are really  creamy )

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2021, 10:58:48 PM »
Had a great time with good people sharing some excellent homegrown fruit. Favorite cherimoya was the Honey heart.  Flesh was creamy, super sweet, but held together well after slicing. Brad’s pineapple was a nice bonus treat. Thanks again for hosting. A couple images of the spread.

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 04, 2021, 11:51:55 PM »
Started out with some small, brown medlar (top left).  They were mild tasting, similar to apple butter with a hint of cinnamon.  Then Parfianka pomegranate, which were delicious and gorgeous.  The arils really were as deep purple-black as they are here in the photo:

The assortment of fruit was appetizing.  I too liked the El Bumpo and Honeyhart cherimoyas the best.  But Fortuna tasted good too, and had a very distinctive flavor.

Some of us found ourselves with so much sugary juice dripping down our hands that we had to rinse them off ... more than once!
It was a treat meeting fellow fruit freaks and associating real-world names and faces with TropicalFruitForum handles.

Simon's mix of sugar cane juice and calamansi juice was incredible!  (And very popular.)  Thanks to Brad's example, I tasted a very special cocktail: Simon's cane juice, Panama Red Passionfruit (picture below), a squeeze of lime, and a splash of rum.  Great stuff -- with a kick to it!

A few of us lucked out with the pineapple, and got to not only sample the fruit, but take a pup home to grow our own!

What's the pineapple variety, Brad?  You said it was related to Cayenne.

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 04, 2021, 11:57:42 PM »
Right one is Lolo. The harvest time in PR is February to March ( more oil)but I cant miss the oportunity.

Thank you for sending them!  It was a treat to have some all the way from Puerto Rico.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 05, 2021, 12:00:56 AM »
 I will have to look up what that pineapple is called tomorrow.  The tag is in the greenhouse.  Its a decent one though.  Theres several similar ones like that from hawaii that are smooth cayane crosses.  Ill get the name of that one tomorrow.  I should have cut that one but wanted to save it for my daughter, she really likes pineapples and cherimoyas.  My family left and went to a kids birthday party while we were having the get together. 

Nice seeing you guys again.  It was pretty easy going today, I liked that.  Got to talk to most of you this time.

Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 05, 2021, 12:01:37 AM »
Right one is Lolo. The harvest time in PR is February to March ( more oil)but I cant miss the oportunity.

Thank you for sending them!  It was a treat to have some all the way from Puerto Rico.

Yes thanks for the fruit.  Cherimoyas are coming to PR this week. 
Brad Spaugh

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 05, 2021, 12:25:30 AM »
Im pretty sure we can put a nail in the coffin on "dream" being a cherimoya.  Definitely a atemoya.

Dream here smell like a sugar apple when handling it.

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 05, 2021, 12:19:19 PM »
This tasting was the first I have attended. It was great getting to taste a few new to me cherimoya varieties and other interesting fruits. Above all it was wonderful to meet other fruit growers and put faces with some of the familiar names on this forum. Thanks so much for hosting Brad!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 05, 2021, 12:23:21 PM »
Glad to see you all had a great tasting put on by Brad again concrats.
But please folks when referring to cherimoya names please give credit where credit is do Honey Heart is a name that some Nursery started naming after the true Honeyhart named by Orton Englehart now passed on but the person who came up with that variety!! Old time CRFGer and I'm surprised that folks keep confusing that name, give credit to rightful person please.
HONEYHART  Cherimoya registered with CRFG-27th Nov. 1976 by Orton H. Englehart
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 12:59:44 PM by ScottR »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 05, 2021, 01:17:58 PM »
Glad to see you all had a great tasting put on by Brad again concrats.
But please folks when referring to cherimoya names please give credit where credit is do Honey Heart is a name that some Nursery started naming after the true Honeyhart named by Orton Englehart now passed on but the person who came up with that variety!! Old time CRFGer and I'm surprised that folks keep confusing that name, give credit to rightful person please.
HONEYHART  Cherimoya registered with CRFG-27th Nov. 1976 by Orton H. Englehart
HoneyHART by EngleHART.  How dare they mess with that!  That's a crime.  I met Orton Englehart back in the 1970's, or rather I saw him running around, taking orders from his bossy little wife Ann, "Orton!, Orton!"  They grew the most delicious fruit, a wide variety, at their little ranch in the Escondido area.

Hey, SoFlo folks, are you inspired enough to make it (mango tasting) happen here next summer??
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 02:55:56 PM by johnb51 »
John

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 06, 2021, 02:09:23 AM »
It was another awesome day over at Brads orchard and everyone had sugar overload by the end of the day. I did more talking with friends than I did eating and it was great to meet more fruit enthusiasts. It’s funny how many of us fruit lovers also love chickens or fishing/lobstering. Big thanks to Brad and his beautiful wife and family for hosting the event!

Simon

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 06, 2021, 03:52:45 AM »
That Parfianka pomegranate looks amazing! Got to add that to my want list of fruit trees!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 06, 2021, 12:36:23 PM »
That Parfianka pomegranate looks amazing! Got to add that to my want list of fruit trees!
Sure does!  What a great, healthful fruit!
John

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 06, 2021, 06:28:13 PM »
It’s funny how many of us fruit lovers also love chickens
So it's not just me??😂

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 07, 2021, 04:50:17 PM »
Definitely not just you, lol! I used to breed chickens and quails. I still go tuna fishing, spear fishing diving for Uni and lobsters and also hoop netting.

Simon