Author Topic: Grimal Jaboticaba Planting Site Question  (Read 603 times)

sumognat

• US, FL, SW Ranches, 10b
    • View Profile
Grimal Jaboticaba Planting Site Question
« on: December 23, 2020, 11:09:07 AM »
Hi, I recently purchased a Grimal Jaboticaba and I'm having a bit of analysis paralysis with respect to its planting site in my yard.

I live in SW Broward (SW Ranches).  Most of my yard is muck over limestone and it stays pretty moist throughout the year.  Much of the non-irrigated parts my yard can be underwater 2-3 days in the summer, the water drains, and then the cycle repeats until the rainy season is over.  Most of the non-irrigated parts of my yard stay moist throughout the year.

I've read through the posts on this forum about the Grimal and it says it doesn't take flooding well.  Should I plant it outside of an area that doesn't get flooded at all in the summer?  I have a Red Jaboticaba that I planted last year from a 3g that is loving where I planted it between 2 mango trees, where it's often flooded in the summertime and its always moist (it didn't miss a beat during the week of record flooding we had here a few months ago).  I thought the Grimal could take the same conditions, but I'm now rethinking my initial plan after reading some posts here.

Thanks for any advice!  :)

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Grimal Jaboticaba Planting Site Question
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 11:34:13 AM »
My red is planted in a container... but it takes all the water I give it without issue. Fertilizer in moderation too.
Don't have enough experience with Grimal yet to draw a conclusion.

Kevin

greenqueenlw

• Lake Worth Beach, FL 10b (East of Dixie)
    • View Profile
Re: Grimal Jaboticaba Planting Site Question
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 11:09:28 PM »
Jabos seem to do better in containers. I have three reds in the ground but don’t plan to plant any more in the ground with exception to a sabara. (PBC area and I don’t deal with any flooding)