Author Topic: Murcot tangerine leaves problems  (Read 846 times)

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
Murcot tangerine leaves problems
« on: March 23, 2021, 03:04:10 PM »
Hello,  does anyone knows what causes these?  These are older leaves. I searched online and it looks to be B deficiency, but would like to have others' opinions.  Thank you  Here are the pictures. 

« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 03:58:04 PM by Lovetoplant »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Murcot tangerine leaves problems
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 03:46:56 PM »
Looks like regular old leaves to me.  They do yellow and fall off after a year or so.  If you tree has lots of new growth I wouldn't worry

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 03:59:25 PM »
Looks like regular old leaves to me.  They do yellow and fall off after a year or so.  If you tree has lots of new growth I wouldn't worry

This symptom is on most parts of the trees...

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 10:52:52 PM »
Have you noticed any lopsided fruit or die back?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 11:03:05 PM »
I finally got the pictures to load to a size that I could actually see. I noticed that the yellow blotches do not create a mirror image on either side of the mid vein as would be typical of a nutritional issue. This condition is known as blotchy mottle and is one of the early symptoms of HLB (citrus greening). I highly suspect that your tree has it even though it is not common in California to my knowledge.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 11:29:38 PM »
Have you noticed any lopsided fruit or die back?

No fruits look good.  It is 9 years old. I grew this tree from seed.  It is in second year of fruiting.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 11:44:36 PM »
This tree is not just showing one problem, or one deficiency.  Have you been fertilizing this tree on a regular basis, and with a fertilizer that contains trace minerals?  A 9 year old citrus tree should be fertilized three times a year between March and September.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 10:12:24 AM by Millet »

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 11:46:20 PM »
I finally got the pictures to load to a size that I could actually see. I noticed that the yellow blotches do not create a mirror image on either side of the mid vein as would be typical of a nutritional issue. This condition is known as blotchy mottle and is one of the early symptoms of HLB (citrus greening). I highly suspect that your tree has it even though it is not common in California to my knowledge.

There is no known cases of citrus greening disease in this part of California yet.  If it really the disease as you suspected, could it be from the seed grown?  I bought the fruits from supermarket, saved and planted the seeds. 

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 11:54:31 PM »
This tree is not just showing one problem, or one deficiency.  Have you been fertilizing this tree on a regular basis, and with a fertilizer that contains trace minerals?  A 9 ear old citrus tree should be fertilized three times a year between March and September.

Yes I fertilize it regularly with Vigoro, avocado and citrus fertilizer from HD.  Plus foliar feeding with fish emulsion and chelated iron. 

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 01:41:41 PM »

There is no known cases of citrus greening disease in this part of California yet.  If it really the disease as you suspected, could it be from the seed grown?  I bought the fruits from supermarket, saved and planted the seeds.
Cut a fruit from the stem end down the middle to the flower end.  If the mid-rib part curves, that is a classic symptom of HLB. Citrus should be symmetrical and if the flower end is off-center from the stem end when cut down the middle it's a pretty good sign of HLB.   
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 10:21:20 PM »

If I am right, I really doubt that the seed was the source of infection. Symptoms should have surfaced years ago if that were the case. Here is a bulletin that helps differentiate hlb from nutritional deficiencies. The leaf on the left in your pictures seems to display the blotchy mottle mentioned in the bulletin.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/PP/PP32800.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj8tYGIrMrvAhXbRjABHSiuBy8QFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw24_YJKQT-ch7etr54AlgEW

If you have doubts, you can call the phone number in the link below for an expert opinion. If there are no other cases in your area it is all the more important to get this resolved.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://californiacitrusthreat.org/pest-disease/&ved=2ahUKEwiQlZGUqcrvAhWFsDEKHRPXAbsQFjACegQIERAC&usg=AOvVaw3y4dinCf7jpbAg5IOwsjZM&cshid=1616636933569