Author Topic: Late(r) Season Mango Question  (Read 3651 times)

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
Late(r) Season Mango Question
« on: June 12, 2021, 07:59:15 AM »
Hello Mango Enthusiasts!

I'm trying to extend the mango season as much as possible, and have Venus & Orange Essence already.  What are top tier varieties that can extend those by a few weeks?  I find Honey Kiss too mild, and Keitt tastes average to me.  I would rather cut the season shorter than eating average mangos (average to my palate at least).  Options I'm considering:

M4
Cotton Candy
Little Gem
Ambika
Amrapali (believe I read it was later)

Other desirable characteristics - blooms easily, precocious, productive, & moderate disease resistance.  It would be nice for it to have small to medium internodal lengths (less than Venus ideally).  However, growth habit takes a backseat to superior fruit quality to be honest.

Would love to hear opinions & thanks!!!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Late(r) Season Mango Question
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 09:26:52 AM »
It looks like you're open as to flavor profile.  You just want something that it isn't mild?
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 09:45:44 AM »
Do not plant more than two late season mangos. When you have eaten lots of mangoes during the regular season, you can experience mango exhaustion. Some call this mango fatigue. Plus other fruits start coming in.  I have a Keitt that is late season variety that has been around for decades. Last Keitt fruit ever picked was Oct 11th. My mail carrier was given those two. I get a good yield most years. My best Keitt year was 120 mangos.

It seems that other late mango varieties are around now, that are superior to Keitt for your mango late season. Maybe superior, maybe not. I have not eaten any of them.

My local mango hounds aka mango eaters that come by. They want mangos all months of the year. I have them in mind for my Keitts come ripening last of August into September. Into the end of September hopefully.

You know you are seasoned (degenerate?) mango hound when you eat your mangoes outside under the shade. After getting mango juices all over face and hands-- You walk over to the garden hose to wash clean.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 09:48:04 AM by zands »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 09:55:20 AM »
Not on your list but my Beverly hold fruits late and is a great tasting mango .... in my opinion
Worthy of consideration if you are willing to venture out of your list.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 10:00:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies all!

@JohnB - Yes I'm completely open to flavor profile, but I only want to grow it if it has that "wow" factor.

@Zands - I have yet to experience mango fatigue lol!  As long as it's top tier, I'm happy to enjoy for as long as possible!

@Orkine - I tried Beverly a couple years ago, and thought it was just average as well.  Maybe it was just an off year?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 10:30:33 AM »
Not on your list but my Beverly hold fruits late and is a great tasting mango .... in my opinion
Worthy of consideration if you are willing to venture out of your list.
Beverly is a very pleasant Florida-style mango but doesn't have the "wow" factor.
John

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 10:38:18 AM »
Little Gem blooms later than most varieties which is a plus if you are in an area that can get frost, has short internodes, clean attractive fruit, very strong branches, precocious, productive, and a very compact growth habit. It ticks off all your boxes. Picked last fruit September 10th last year. Eaten at the right stage of ripeness it has that WOW factor too...
I am wondering what is the latest date anyone has picked Cotton Candy? Last year it was the first week of July. Single best mango I ate last year was one of those.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 10:53:02 AM by TonyinCC »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 11:05:53 AM »
I think location plays a role in some of these varieties.   Cotton Candy seems to be a mid to late July and August fruit here.  Little Gem July and maybe into August.  Peach Cobbler is an August fruit

Neelam is a very late variety that might fulfill your wants/needs
- Rob

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 12:24:54 PM »
Thanks Rob.  I live Southwest Plantation (probably about 5 miles North of Bender's Grove & 15 miles from the coast).  Does the season extend longer if you're closer or farther away from the coast?

I had Peach Cobbler last year - it's a special one for sure.  Is it a lot later than Venus / Orange Essence?

Neelam - I've never been able to try this one.  Hopefully I can find one this year to try.  Is it top tier?

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 12:28:13 PM »
At my location, peach cobbler is a June/July tree. I have ripe peach cobblers now. M4 and taralay look like they might go to August. Both had late blooms this year.

I think location plays a role in some of these varieties.   Cotton Candy seems to be a mid to late July and August fruit here.  Little Gem July and maybe into August.  Peach Cobbler is an August fruit

Brandon

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 12:40:41 PM »
At my location, peach cobbler is a June/July tree. I have ripe peach cobblers now. M4 and taralay look like they might go to August. Both had late blooms this year.

I have never seen Peach Cobblers in June.  Is this normal for you?

M4 into August is about right.  Taralay is a July mango which I suppose on a late bloom could hang into early August.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 12:50:38 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 12:42:45 PM »
I've only had 1 or 2, but Neelam is really good. Had a tree grafted and need to pickup, a must have for me since it is late.

M4 is very good. Another must have due to quality and season.

Venus is nice mango as well. Not sure about disease and growth.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 12:46:17 PM by roblack »

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 12:46:18 PM »
Last year, the last of my peach cobbler were picked by a visitor on July 10, the only reason I know the date.

I have never seen Peach Cobblers in June.  Is this normal for you?

M4 into August is about right.  Taralay is a Jolly mango which I suppose on a late bloom could hang into early August.
Brandon

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2021, 12:48:03 PM »
Thanks Rob.  I live Southwest Plantation (probably about 5 miles North of Bender's Grove & 15 miles from the coast).  Does the season extend longer if you're closer or farther away from the coast?

I had Peach Cobbler last year - it's a special one for sure.  Is it a lot later than Venus / Orange Essence?

Neelam - I've never been able to try this one.  Hopefully I can find one this year to try.  Is it top tier?

I thought you were on the West coast

I have seen Venus and OE vary but mainly July and August, with Peach Cobbler usually a touch later (with Brandon being an extreme outlier)..

Neelam has some strong followers, especially for being one of the latest.  Its not "top tier" but its one of the more complex and stronger flavored late season varieties.
- Rob

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2021, 04:20:37 AM »

I live in Lakeland and have to say that from my limited experience, location certainly seems to be playing a role with my trees.  I have a dozen trees of different timing habits which were planted nearly 2 years ago.  Early this year I had some incredible panicles showing on my Carrie and Cogshall but we had a cold snap that destroyed those even though they were well covered.  Then in March my Ice Cream started blooming like crazy, provided a lot of bb size fruit.  Suddenly all were lost with the exception of about 6 fruit that made it to walnut size before dropping.  I have a
Choc-Anon that last October held one fruit to maturity and was incredible (perhaps it seemed that way as it was off our own tree) but not even blooming so far this year.  None of our other Mango trees are showing any signs of blooming either, even though I have been fertilizing and spraying regularly.  In fact none seem to grow as quickly here either as many of those farther south seem to continually report.

While not a tremendous climate difference being in 9B, I think it is enough to alter the tree growth habits.  Or perhaps it is just an inability on my own part to get the growth and production going.  Also in that arena, what would thoughts be on the latest 9B could show the start of panicle development for late season Mango trees?

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2021, 12:56:16 PM »
As you said you must know when to pick Mallika right! And Neelam (both these two are Indian mangos) is the same for me. My Neelam are late. When you see the crop getting ripe and mature in August...And your Best indications are mango drops and animal attacks. This is when you start looking for good candidates to take off the tree while green. This was counter-intuitive for me so I botched Neelam harvesting for 4 years. They tasted carroty.

You pick late n green and let ripen indoors. Non airconditioned space like garage is preferable. You can see if wrapping in a plastic bag helps this along. Perhaps with a banana in the bag.
My mango eaters can be smarter than me. Last year/August one saw 10 green as green Nellum on the tree and bought all them immediately. Later on he told me they all ripened perfectly indoors.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2021, 01:12:02 PM »
Cotton Candy and M4 are two really great tasting mangoes. I have a CC tree which held fruit into august last year. Of note, I knocked down about a half size cotton candy mango last month and let it ripen just to see, and it was not bad about a week later. Not that sweet, but good. M4 I have grafted and waiting excitedly for fruit. But I had one from zills a couple years ago and it was fantastic, even though it was mostly dull green. Lots of coconut flavor. I did not like little Gem. Had an aftertaste similar to Graham to me.

E.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2021, 03:55:29 PM »
Jagmanjoe, the one thing you said that caught my attention was that your fertilize your mango regularly.  Depending on what you fertilize with that could be your problem.  If you are giving your tree a lot of Nitrogen, it will grow lush and green but may not do much for you in the fruit department.  While it needs some N, it should not get too much.  It sound counterintuitive, you think a healthy green tree should make lots of fruit but it is not necessarily so. You don't want your tree trying to make leaves when it should be making fruits

Other factors to consider is how much water - too little or too much is bad.

Google the topic "mango fruit drop" and you should see many articles.
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/methods-control-fruit-dropping-mango-31174.html

3rdgrey

• USA,Fl,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2021, 09:07:28 PM »
Jagmanjoe, I'm in southern Okeechobee and have exactly the same issues. Nothing grows or grows well!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2021, 09:41:41 PM »
I have Neelam Honey Kiss M4 and may graft cotton candy. I may try to get a couple  Golden Queens to try from Tropical Acre Farms. To potentially graft if I like it.
MikeT says it is very good
https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/product-page/golden-queen
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 09:45:28 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Fruutloop

• USA, Florida, Grant Valkaria, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2021, 09:52:56 PM »
My cotton candy is holding fruit 1st time. Beautiful canopy and growth habitat disease free. In ground a little over 2 years. The fruit are large . Haven’t tasted them yet. They’re not quite done. Can’t imagine them holding more than mid July at the latest. I’m impressed so far. My Venus is doing fantastic also. Same age holding similar fruit set  trees are about the same size same age

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2021, 09:46:50 AM »
Jagmanjoe, the one thing you said that caught my attention was that your fertilize your mango regularly.  Depending on what you fertilize with that could be your problem.  If you are giving your tree a lot of Nitrogen, it will grow lush and green but may not do much for you in the fruit department.  While it needs some N, it should not get too much.  It sound counterintuitive, you think a healthy green tree should make lots of fruit but it is not necessarily so. You don't want your tree trying to make leaves when it should be making fruits

Other factors to consider is how much water - too little or too much is bad.

Google the topic "mango fruit drop" and you should see many articles.
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/methods-control-fruit-dropping-mango-31174.html

I appreciate your input Akin.  A little quick history about where I am, just under 2 years ago when we purchased my first thought was I could really do some mango trees now.  I quickly planted 9 mango trees of different varieties without a lot of thought.  Then about a year ago the rains hit and all of my mango trees would constantly end up in standing water for days on end as I never realized just how wet our property is.

To counter that prolonged wetness, within each of the barrier areas I have dug out and placed 6" diameter drain pipe going straight down about 2 feet in 3 spots.  I have fashioned a setup where I have a boat bilge pump on a pipe with a battery and handle so when it floods I can quickly draw about 6 to 8 gallons of water from each tree area and move it to the street.  My fashioned system only takes about a minute per tube so I can do it several times a day if necessary when heavy rains strike.

While I initially fertilized the trees with time release fertilizer, in research I determined that this might not be the best course as wet as this property can stay, the time release can end up not lasting the intended several month timeframe.  Accordingly I switched last fall to Diamond R SuperFruiter 6-3-16 with micros for now as my trees are still fairly small.  It has very little time release so I fertilize monthly during the growing season at about 3/4 cup per inch of trunk diameter.  Once they get more established, I plan to drop to a lower or no nitrogen fertilizer.  Also when I fertilize, if it has not been raining for a week or so and nothing of significance is predicted, I water it in.  I also water only when we have prolonged dry spells.

Early this year I had some great panicles on my Carrie and Cogshall but lost them during a freeze even though I had the trees covered with frost cloth.  Trees suffered no damage other than panicle loss.  I then had a super flush of panicles on my Ice Cream and smaller flushes of panicles on several others.  They did produce some fruitlets but over time all dropped.  I am guessing the trees just have not been in the ground long enough, particularly considering the less than ideal environment of the flooding issues.  I am hoping that between them being in the ground longer and hopefully my controlling the flooding issues better this year, they will get better established and set some good fruit next season.

I did have a half a dozen mango trees that I planted at our previous home and the third year in the ground when we were just moving out were all loaded with panicles. -- just my luck.  I should have negotiated the sale of that place to go back and collect some fruit for the first year.

I have added a couple of pics, one of the fertilizer I am currently using and the second of the first line of my original 9 trees here.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2021, 07:48:54 PM »
Does Carla or O-15 extend much farther beyond Venus & Orange Essence or is it basically the same season?

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2021, 08:08:49 PM »
I picked my first O-15 yesterday, slightly soft with some color break. This is the first crop on a small tree. I am not sure what the "regular" season is but the other fruit on the tree look like they will be ready soon too.
Brandon

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2021, 08:28:28 PM »
I quickly planted 9 mango trees of different varieties without a lot of thought.  Then about a year ago the rains hit and all of my mango trees would constantly end up in standing water for days on end as I never realized just how wet our property is.

To counter that prolonged wetness, within each of the barrier areas I have dug out and placed 6" diameter drain pipe going straight down about 2 feet in 3 spots.  I have fashioned a setup where I have a boat bilge pump on a pipe with a battery and handle so when it floods I can quickly draw about 6 to 8 gallons of water from each tree area and move it to the street.  My fashioned system only takes about a minute per tube so I can do it several times a day if necessary when heavy rains strike.

I would think about moving half your trees to a drier location. I relocated a mango tree that was three times heavier than yours look. It was already fruiting well. Dug it out. Pulled it up and out with the help of a friend. Lifted it up onto a full 4x8ft sheet of plywood. Then with my friend dragged the plywood 50ft to the new location.

I also relocated two or three others (mango) that were 25% smaller than yours