Author Topic: Fruit party  (Read 10510 times)

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit party
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2021, 11:12:18 AM »
Do post some pictures!

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2021, 01:45:23 AM »
I would send miracle fruits but they haven't had their second fruiting. Probably not until Fall. Good luck on you tasting!
-Chris

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2021, 12:41:03 PM »
party was happening, all went well, we had a big crowd this time maybe 30+ people came. 

« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 12:43:27 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2021, 12:48:00 PM »
Kaz, the general concensus was the brewsters taste pretty much as good kaimana but have much more seeds.  I think thry are very good but kaimana is better if I could be choosy.  Ill be happy to get any kind of lychee off my own tree...
Brad Spaugh

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2021, 02:08:57 PM »
Great event Brad! Thanks for hosting. And thanks everyone for bringing fruit. I tried lots of new varieties that I loved. The perfumy Sugar Dragon dragonfruit and Dapple Dandy stood out for me. Sugarcane was awesome. Great catching up with folks and meeting new people. When i got home i found a bunch of rose apples i could have brought. doh!
Shane

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2021, 02:53:54 PM »
Brad, thanks for the feedback on the lychees. I guess I will need to also graft the Kaimana on my tree. I'm slowly top working my Brewster tree, I have the Sweetheart grafts on it and NMZ so I will now add the Kaimana.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2021, 06:57:31 PM »
Brad, thanks for the feedback on the lychees. I guess I will need to also graft the Kaimana on my tree. I'm slowly top working my Brewster tree, I have the Sweetheart grafts on it and NMZ so I will now add the Kaimana.

Kaz, Kaimana is pretty good and very sweet, but I liked your Brewster better, more fragrant and flavorful. The main thing is that kaimana fruits are larger and seeds are smaller. If your Brewster produces mostly chicken tongue seeds, it’s hard to beat IMO

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2021, 10:00:53 PM »
Ok, good to know, thanks Ken. I do have one large branch that seems to have majority of the smaller chicken tongue seeds so I might air layer that branch and try to propagate it. Looks like you guys had a feast at the party, wow so much fruts !!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 02:13:32 AM by sc4001992 »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2021, 11:36:13 PM »
The fruit party was awesome and I was stuffed to the gill with very sweet fruit. I really like the white watermelon because it was so sweet and juicy on a hot day.

The Meli Kalima pineapples were also a sugar bomb as was the Spice Z Nectaplum. The Mallika mango was huge and perfectly ripened per my taste buds. It was very sweet and had some great acid balance. The Beverly was good but did not fully sweeten up so there was a stronger acid component which lacked some sweetness to brighten up the flavor profile.

The Sweet Tart was a bit under ripe and was pretty chalky and lacked it’s usually high sugar, high acid punch. Others at the party have their own taste preferences and I heard at least one person say that they preferred the Beverly.

There was so much fruit and other food there, it was getting silly. I saw multiple people rubbing their bellies and complaining about their full stomach and then when we cut up more fruit, they miraculously found some inner strength to take another bite or ten.

The Reed avocado that Brad cut up for people was super good and creamy, that would have also made an awesome smoothie or avocado ice cream.

The Kaimana were very good and I did prefer them over the two different batches of Brewsters at this tasting but the best tasting Brewsters from Leo’s old tree that made mostly chicken tongue fruit were better than these Kaimana.

Kaimana is large and sweet with a small seed but it lacks the floral Lychee/Rose scent and flavor. It does have some of that Lychee flavor but it is very toned down. On a scale of 1-10, Kaimana has a Lychee/Rose scent/flavor of about 3.

Brewsters can get large but usually have that giant seed except for certain clones like Leo’s. Brewsters have a very high lychee/Rose scent/flavor. I would give it about an 8-9 out of ten.

Perhaps a perfect bite would be to mix one Brewster with one Kaimana!

The Black Sapote was surprisingly good considering it was not in a smoothie and there was no sugar added. It had the texture of chocolate pudding and was very mildly sweet.

Many of the guests were super excited to try the Miracle Fruit that Mark brought. I saw them eating Lychees, Passionfruit, Limes, Calamansis and other acidic fruit after the miracle fruit and they were so surprised at how sweet everything became. I love watching people’s reactions after trying miracle fruit for the first time!

There was also a lot of Dragonfruit which were really good but we had to pace ourselves because there’s only so much fruit you can pack into one stomach.

Thanks again to Brad and his family for hosting the party and to all the friends and guests that were able to share their wonderful fruit, excellent company and exciting fruit stories.

In times like now, it’s wonderful to forget about what separates us and instead focus on what brings us together. Everyone at the fruit party shared the common interest of loving to grow fruit, love eating fruit or both. It was wonderful seeing people smiling and laughing with each other while we all stuffed our faces. It was also wonderful to see some younger fruit growers and young children wandering around the orchard and curiously looking around the fruit tasting tables trying to decide what they want to shove into their faces next. This is what dreams are made of and some of these children will surely grow up to be worthy fruit hunters.

Simon
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 11:39:45 PM by simon_grow »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2021, 11:42:40 PM »
aw well now feel bad about choosing Kaimana as my only lychee.  When are you going to start selling some air-layered chicken-tongue Brewsters? :)

socalbalcony

• California, South OC, 10B
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2021, 01:04:18 AM »
Great meeting many of you yesterday, I know I had an absolute blast and it was worth the drive. Brad thanks again for your hospitality and kindness, also for convincing me to give that reed a try, absolutely delicious, we are going to bake some sourdough and devour the fruit you gave me with it.

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2021, 01:09:17 AM »
Fun fruit party!
Thanks to Brad and family and everyone who participated.

FruitFool

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2021, 09:37:19 AM »
Congratulations, Californians, on a successful event.  South Floridians, next summer we've got to figure out how to do something similar.  Like someone else alluded to, we can't let the SoCal folks have all the fun, especially with all our awesome mangos!  Satya, we may have to use your beautiful place, and you have a lot more contacts than me.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 09:41:35 AM by johnb51 »
John

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2021, 11:21:13 AM »
aw well now feel bad about choosing Kaimana as my only lychee.  When are you going to start selling some air-layered chicken-tongue Brewsters? :)

Don’t feel bad, Kaimana is a top notch Lychee and I would highly recommend this variety. There are not a lot  of mature Kaimana trees inSan Diego so fruit from mature trees that weren’t irradiated or hot water treated may taste even better.

If I could only pick between a regular Brewster or Kaimana, I would pick Kaimana.

Simon

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2021, 05:57:55 PM »

Don’t feel bad, Kaimana is a top notch Lychee and I would highly recommend this variety. There are not a lot  of mature Kaimana trees inSan Diego so fruit from mature trees that weren’t irradiated or hot water treated may taste even better.

If I could only pick between a regular Brewster or Kaimana, I would pick Kaimana.

Simon

Thanks, Simon

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2021, 06:24:04 PM »
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 09:50:28 PM by sc4001992 »

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2021, 09:44:51 PM »
thank you Brad for your Hospitality it was a very nice event and I enjoyed seeing in person folks I only communicated with via the form

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2021, 12:18:18 AM »
What happened to behlgarden and bestday? 
Brad Spaugh

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2021, 12:27:52 AM »
Sorry, I didn't make it Brad.  It looks like you guys had a good time.  I have been working so much lately that I just wanted to stay home with my kids and relax.  Sorry for the no call, no show.  But I do really, really, really want to come down sometime to try some different mangoes.  I'm starting to get some early Lemon Zest and they are amazing again this year. 

Bill

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2021, 02:00:44 AM »
No worries I just realized you guys didnt come after the fact.  I know its a long drive from LB.  There were a lot of people, it was a bit busy here.  Im still getting it dialed in, we had everything in the garage this time but there were too many people to fit so it got crowded. 

Maybe in the future we will get some pop up shades or something.  Its not an issue in winter but August its too hot to have tables of food out in the sun.
Brad Spaugh

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2021, 11:02:23 AM »
I can bring a pop-up.
Shane

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2021, 01:55:13 PM »
It really was an awesome event.  Brad is an excellent host and generous in sharing his property for such an event. I ate so much fruit that I felt ill upon departure.  Would definitely do it all over again  8)
Thanks again to all who contributed to the amazing spread!  It was a pleasure meeting new people and interacting with those who share the same passion for rare and common fruit growing. 

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2021, 04:42:16 PM »
thats how bashing this fruit party was.  people werent sick from drinking too much, it was too much fruit! lol

you guys are free to binge eat and puke at my house just do it outdoors. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2021, 06:19:24 PM »
Kaz my wife said she preferred the brewster flavor but didnt like the large seed and sticking flesh.  Personally I dont mind the big seed but its annoying that the flesh sticks to the seeds.  Same reason I dont like rambutans.  The rambutan is super annoying when it sticks to the seed or part of the seed coat comes off with the flesh.
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2021, 12:27:29 AM »
Yup, I noticed that when I compared it to a sweetheart fruit I got from one of our members. Brewster flesh does stick to the seed.

I do have some fruits with smaller seeds but the fruit size is also small. Since your response of the taste/feedback, I went ahead and purchased a small Kaimana plant that I will be grafting to my Brewster.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 03:46:49 AM by sc4001992 »