Author Topic: Multi-graft persimmon tree.  (Read 3469 times)

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
Multi-graft persimmon tree.
« on: July 08, 2021, 06:49:23 PM »
Hello, has anyone successfully graft hachiya on to fuyu persimmon tree?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-graft persimmon tree.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 08:12:17 PM »
I'm sure you can. I don't care for the astringent (soft ripe) fruits so I only have multi-grafted non-astringent persimmons on my trees. I haven't found any variety that is not compatible yet. Here's what I have grafted on Giant Fuyu , Matsumoto, and Hayakume trees.

1   Chocolate
2   Coffee Cake
3   Fuyu
4   Great Wall
5   Hayakume
6   Izu
7   Jiro
8   Kurokuma
9   Maru
10   Matsumoto
11   Saijo
12   Suruga

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 01:24:56 AM »
Thank you.  I tried grafting hachiya onto my fuyu in February, but failed. 

What month would be best to graft persimmon?  Any method recommendation?

Among 12 varieties you grow, can you please tell me your two most favorites?

I only fertilized my fuyu once in late March.  Can I fertilize it once more?  I learned that it will drop fruits if over fertilized with nitrogen.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 01:51:33 AM »
Try grafting again now. Persimmons are not that easy to graft always, so you need to do many grafts and a few make take. Most people like to graft before the buds start to open up on the rootstock in spring. I graft from Jan-Sept. I'm grafting some now as well.

I couldn't tell you my favorits, I have only tasted the fuyu, giant fuyu, hayakume, matsumoto, and jiro so far. When the new grafts have fruits next year I will let you know which ones are my favorite.

You can use any grafting method, I just use the cleft graft. Since its hot, you must cover the grafted scion with sun protection (aluminum foil, paper bag) or if the rootstock is in a pot, move into full shade until the graft grows out.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 02:27:05 PM »
I will try grafting some now like you suggested.

Will the scions need to be prepared more like cherimoya scions(ridding off all leaves and wait for the buds to swollen)?

What is your fertilizing schedules for a matured fruitting persimmon tree?

Would be nice to hear an update on your favorite varieties this fall..

Thank you
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 02:32:40 PM by Lovetoplant »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 08:00:05 AM »
You can prep the scions, make it grow faster after you graft it, but not necessary.
I fertilize once a year if I remember, still get plenty of fruits.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 04:33:31 PM »

Saw grafted Hachiya at HD today.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 01:39:01 PM »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 06:17:41 AM by sc4001992 »

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021, 02:59:21 PM »
I grafted on fuyu: saijo, coffee cake, izu, chocolate
I grafted on hachiya: saijo and coffee cake.
I did it when rootstocks were waking up and when they had leaves. I tried bud grafting and cleft. I tried with fresh scions and the refrigerated for a few weeks.  all took. I have all kind of troubles with annonas grafting but persimmons and asian pears had no issues.
Ana

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 11:32:54 AM »
Did you graft to last year wood or older wood?

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 03:03:26 PM »
Some on older some on last year wood. Multi graft was not a plan. It just happened because rootstocks arrived very skinny and scions were much thicker. So i grafted on my trees. Some wood was so hard to keep cleft tight. I didn't think it would work.
Ana

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2021, 06:35:50 AM »
Flgarden, what months did you do your grafts ?

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 01:26:15 PM »
I grafted in march and april.
Ana

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2022, 08:31:23 PM »
What rootstock did you use?
diopyros virginiana or diospyros lotus or others

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2022, 08:55:05 AM »
Rootstocks i received were too skinny so, not to waste scions, i had to graft on established Fuyu and hachiya trees.
Ana

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2022, 05:32:06 PM »
I don't care for the astringent (soft ripe) fruits so I only have multi-grafted non-astringent persimmons on my trees. I haven't found any variety that is not compatible yet. Here's what I have grafted on Giant Fuyu , Matsumoto, and Hayakume trees.

1   Chocolate
2   Coffee Cake
3   Fuyu
4   Great Wall
5   Hayakume
6   Izu
7   Jiro
8   Kurokuma
9   Maru
10   Matsumoto
11   Saijo
12   Suruga

Just so you know, if your #8 (Kurokuma) is the scion that you got from me, there are a couple of issues here.

1.  It isn't a Kurokuma.  It's a seedling of Kurokuma.  I started it from a seed that I got from a Kurokuma fruit that I ate at a persimmon tasting at UCANR.  I know that the fruit I ate was a Kurokuma persimmon, but no one knows what the pollinator was.  I'm sure I made this clear before I sent it to you, but it might have skipped your mind; we had a nice exchange, and probably covered enough details that it would be easy to forget this little bit of info.  So the fruit you get from that scion might be like Kurokuma, but it might be totally different, since the gene pool got scrambled around in the midst of all that hot sex persimmons have.   ;)

2.  Also, if this seedling takes after its Kurokuma parent, it will be an astringent fruit.  I understand people liking the ease of eating non-astringent fruit.  You don't have to worry about whether the thing has been pollinated, or treated in some way to eliminate (hopefully!) the astringency.  But for the record, I'll say that I haven't ever tasted a non-astringent persimmon that has quite the complexity of rich flavors that Kurokumas I've tasted have had.  (And I tasted a wide variety of persimmons at the UCANR tastings in two different years.)

3.  I'm still waiting to get fruit from the Kurokuma seedling.  None yet.  I hope it will produce for the first time this year.  But one thing is clear already: I have a multigraft persimmon tree, and this is the 2nd year in a row that the Kurokuma seedling branch is the first branch to break bud.  In fact, I went out to see it today, and its buds are opening now.  Matsumoto Wase (the scion I got from you) and Tsurunoko ("Chocolate" from Dave Wilson Nursery) are still dormant.

I hope that helps.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2022, 06:10:46 PM »
Yes, thanks for correcting me on the Kurokuma seedling graft. I don't think my graft will have any fruits this year, it is still not that large. Hope next year it grows more branches and fattens up.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2022, 06:48:37 PM »
Yes, thanks for correcting me on the Kurokuma seedling graft. I don't think my graft will have any fruits this year, it is still not that large. Hope next year it grows more branches and fattens up.

Kaz any idea what variety is this persimmon?  It does not taste bitter when eating while it is hard.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2022, 09:14:45 PM »
Lovetoplant, my base tree on the Hyakume was the Giant Fuyu. I remember it had large rounder shaped fruits (compared to Fuyu) like yours. It would get plenty of large fruits, but I didn't think it had a lot of taste to me, and the normal Fuyu seemed to taste better so I ended up top working all the branches, so I don't have any Giant Fuyu fruit to try.