Author Topic: Mango varieties still hanging on the tree? Other tropic fruit in season  (Read 6865 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
I still have Malika Orange Sherbert Sweet Tart hanging and about to start harvesting a bumper crop of large pink guavas and white guavas. I also have Barbados cherries that should be ready in a couple of weeks

Just starting to harvest sweet tart

[url=https://postimg.cc/PvMgx1FP]

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 04:25:41 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Enjoy those Sweet Tarts!  They're amazing. 

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
I had sweet tart for the first time this year and it was a disappointment. But I want to give it another try. Do you know where they still sell them?
Is it possible that this cultivar likes close to ocean? The one that I had was from Excalibur, so far inland. Or maybe picked too early. It was sitting for a week to mature.
Other varieties from Excalibur were great, especially Beverly, my new love.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
I really want to hear about Orange Sherbet.  How intense the flavor can be.  I tasted only one, and it was a mere shadow of PPK flavor bomb.  But I've heard from others that it, too, is a flavor bomb.
John

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
I would love to hear about Orange Sherbet too. I swear I am not your stalker, John, although I piggyback on your posts. I just have one OS in a pot waiting to be planted, but I still can change my mind, because I have other candidates in consideration (Angie, Pina Colada, Sugarloaf, NDM4)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
I had sweet tart for the first time this year and it was a disappointment. But I want to give it another try. Do you know where they still sell them?
Is it possible that this cultivar likes close to ocean? The one that I had was from Excalibur, so far inland. Or maybe picked too early. It was sitting for a week to mature.
Other varieties from Excalibur were great, especially Beverly, my new love.
In Florida from north to south and east and west. I am as far from the ocean as you can get. Elevation 62 ft. I will never say that my Sweet Tarts are better than South Florida's because I frequent there vacationing and doing business. By next season I think they will be just as good. :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
 :)
Jamaican June plum

Golden Apple

Golden apple juice

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 04:36:04 PM by bovine421 »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Out of 30 varieties only a few Graham and Sweet Tart are still hanging. Picked 80 pounds Sweet Tart from two 3 year old trees and have 8 more ST trees left to pick, most look like they are holding 40 pounds each.

PBm4nG0

• Broward 10B
    • View Profile
Picked my last 2 Juliette's today. Man they were so good, first time fruiting planted it 7-2018
May be a couple NDM hiding. Still got some Orange Sherbert and Kathy. Oh ya forgot my Keitt.
Star fruits are looking good, still needs some time.
Have a 10yr old Jaboticaba and have never seen a fruit yet.

chrobrego

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
Orange sherbert, ice cream and honey kiss still hanging on. All the others are done.  Carrie just finished along with coconut cream and Fruit punch.

yessenia

• Florida West Palm Beach
    • View Profile
Orange sherbert, Maha Chanok. sweet tart m-4 and honey kiss

aka_no_nui193

• US, zone 6b
    • View Profile
Man…boy do I wish some kind Floridian in this thread would sell me another box of their delicious mangoes👀😂 half joking but seriously if u have extra and are willing to ship i would actually buy them because after tasting Gary and Val Pride and Kesar and Maha Chanok I can’t even look at a Haden or a Kent anymore.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Man…boy do I wish some kind Floridian in this thread would sell me another box of their delicious mangoes👀😂 half joking but seriously if u have extra and are willing to ship i would actually buy them because after tasting Gary and Val Pride and Kesar and Maha Chanok I can’t even look at a Haden or a Kent anymore.

The problem is that the SE Florida mango season was an early one and it peaked 3-4 weeks ago. Keitt is late and still on trees and some other late ones too. At peak of our mango season there is a surplus to put in boxes and send out to other states in the US. Not so much the case now. Perhaps ask Alex-Squam at Tropical Acres if he can send out late ones.

For those who mail out mangoes, is the USPS Priority Mail back to normal? There were all kinds of delays a few months ago. My experience as far as priority mail for non mango items

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
My Valencia pride still holds 4 fruits, including one huge far from ripe.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Orange sherbert, Maha Chanok. sweet tart m-4 and honey kiss
Really good to know OS can be an August mango!  If someone were crazy about citrus-flavored mangos, PPK and OS would give them a long season.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 07:23:31 PM by johnb51 »
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Today's Harvest Valencia pride Sweet Tart and Barbados cherries

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 08:35:30 PM by bovine421 »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Bananas and pineapples are coming in at my house as well as the start of the muscadine grapes at the farm.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Took down the last of the Mallika and keitt.  Took off my solitary M4, didn't want a critter to get it.
Also took off almost all that was left on the Chok Anon, Beverley and Sweet Tart.  I still have a few fruit on those varieties though, and the last of my Carries are almost ready to pick.  I grafted a branch to Osteen a few years ago and it fruited this year.  The fruits are still on the tree. 

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
With the season winding down you come to appreciate the later varieties. M4 and orange sherbets and Valencia prides , julies and carries still holding. Picked the last mallika yesterday, it was 2 pounds. Also a friend gave me his last Hatcher, it’s a big beautiful fruit.Though malllika has its issues, they make up for it for how long we’ve been eating them, and some of them have been as good as any mango this season. It removed itself from being top worked.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Today's Harvest Dwarf Puerto Rican short-cycle plantain Barbados cherries and pink guava. Mangos Valencia Pride Malika Orange Sherbert and Sweet tart

I really like this thread. Will  run it again next season for I will have five more varieties going into production. I like the idea of adding muscadine grapes. I will plant two. One on each side of my moringa tree and let them climb it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 02:58:23 PM by bovine421 »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
I like the idea of adding muscadine grapes. I will plant two. One on each side of my moringa tree and let them climb it.

Ison nurseries puts out the Ison muscadine. It has a very good reputation you can see on the internet. I have some that I am going to try and root.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
I like the idea of adding muscadine grapes. I will plant two. One on each side of my moringa tree and let them climb it.

Ison nurseries puts out the Ison muscadine. It has a very good reputation you can see on the internet. I have some that I am going to try and root.

I have been really pleased with Supreme (also developed by Isons) but it is a female and needs a hermaphrodite like Ison to pollenate it. Some of the grapes on Supreme are 1.5" in diameter. That is a big grape! Burrying a portion of the vine that is still attached in moist sand is a good way to root them (simple layering).

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
I have been really pleased with Supreme (also developed by Isons) but it is a female and needs a hermaphrodite like Ison to pollenate it. Some of the grapes on Supreme are 1.5" in diameter. That is a big grape! Burrying a portion of the vine that is still attached in moist sand is a good way to root them (simple layering).
Unruly muscadine grape vines do this rooting all the time. Self-rooting. On my property. These are the ones I will dig up carefully and put into pots. I will look for  Supreme. My local Lowes have lots of assorted Muscadines in the spring and fall. One gallon about $7 or $6.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
I have 7 “Keitt” mangos still hanging on my tree i planted august 2019. That little Keitt tree is Very impressive to me. The flavor Of my Keitts is mildly sweet, a little tart. I planted it for a late season producer and im happy with the results. Even if the other newer varieties are far superior, i don’t think they are anywhere near as late. Some Of the fruit need another month on the tree, still.

Seems like M4 is mostly a July mango. I don’t consider that late. Does anyone grow M4 that can vouch for it being later than July consistently? Or any of the superior varieties that consistently produce into August.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Since I purchased this last night. I don't know if this counts. I have one Buxton Spice and 4 Little Gem

« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 01:05:31 PM by bovine421 »